1. Registering for the Forum

    We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

    After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

    Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

    If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sandy's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Da-mo, Nov 18, 2014.

  1. Da-mo

    Da-mo Gold

    I had at least one very hot soak in the tub - usually with Epsom Salt - each day and found it absolutely wonderful for relieving the general aches and pains for at least a few hour. I think the steam did have an effect directly on the infection too - kind of softening it - or softening the tissue so it could either circulate better or rupture and relieve pressure and let the yucky puss and stuff drain. I usually ended by rinsing off under a cold shower - something I've been getting more of a taste for since the scorcher of a summer we had in January.
  2. Da-mo

    Da-mo Gold

    Anyway, 2 days on the meds and I'm feeling much better - to the point where I'm debating whther I should start doing some maintenance around the farm or rest awhile longer. The tonsils still feel swollen but much reduced in size and feels as if the infection is receeding and tissue is beginning to heal. Still difficult to swallow but breathing difficulties all gone.

    Best part is that last night sleep improved dramatically. It was more continuous than fitful and I managed to sleep a couple of hours longer than I have been lately.

    It almost feels since I cut all smoking/nicotine and have been doing very few nightshifts lately that my body wants to go into a bi-phasic sleep pattern - with a waking quiet time - almost meditative - in the middle of the night somewhere.
    caroline likes this.
  3. Da-mo

    Da-mo Gold

    Made the first step to getting off shiftwork. Working normal hours for the next 7 weeks. Only on day 4 but feeling better all the time. I skip lunch every day without feeling too hungry. Sleep is improving on its own without needing to be "managed". Mood has improved immensely!!!.

    At the moment its looking like this day work will become a more regular thing - fingers crossed.

    And to top it all off we are experiencing sub zero degC temperatures with sunny days lately. I wear a bare minimum of clothing at work - just shorts, overalls 2 sizes too large, socks and boots = so I'm getting CT and lots of sun too.

    Happy days
  4. fitness@home

    fitness@home Silver

    That has got to feel so good!
  5. shah78

    shah78 Gold

    @Da -mo I have a feeling your tonsil issue could have been the direct/indirect result of nicotine withdrawal. Perhaps a few sprays on the tonsils could have been more effective than the allopathic meds they put you on. Does the timeline match my theory, or am I just pissing into the wind? :)
  6. Da-mo

    Da-mo Gold

    Nah, DW had the tonsilitis just before I did and she hasnt smoked for over 20 years
  7. Da-mo

    Da-mo Gold

    Back on shift now after 7 weeks of daywork. While on daywork I went back to a maintenance role as a tradesman - so a less sedentary, more physically active working day. Less sitting, way less time in front of computer screens (probably from 11 or so hours at a time on shift to maybe 3 hours max. while on daywork).

    First day knees were quite sore but they steadily improved during that first week and were giving me no trouble by the second week.

    In the third week I tweaked my back lifting something - used my knee to hoist it up so was stood on one leg for a moment which put my back into spasm. Took an hour out to ice it and carried on working - and it was all back to normal after three days. While working in OPS on shift Im sure this injury would have dragged on for several weeks.

    Sleep during this time was phenomenal!!! I would wake up at the right time every day without an alarm and would be nodding off a couple of hours after sundown every night. Sleep quality consisted of several cycles of various depth of sleep with dreaming but generally uninterrupted. When I would wake up - I'd be fully awake and would carry this alertness and wakefulness throughout the day. Biggest difference was in energy levels - I'd say energy levels during the day were at least 75-100% better than when Im on shiftwork.

    Eating habits quickly evolved to a BAB and no food during work hours and then dinner at around 5-6pm. By week two I could not manage as big a breakfast even if I ate smaller dinners the nights before - so food intake became self regulating.

    Now that Im back on shift I dont feel too bad - probably built up a reserve while on daywork which will no doubt erode as more time on shift elapses.

    I'm currently shceduled in so that I'll be spending one third of my time back on daywork - that is 16 weeks on shift then 8 weeks on days. I think by next year it will have evolved into a 50:50 split between shiftwork and daywork.

    Still not ideal but all steps in the right direction so I wont let good be the enemy of optimal - just keep working towards the goal of eliminating nightshifts from my life.

    The world still tempts me with phenomenal money working a Norwegian Roster on a rig - have to keep reminding myself that not only do I want years in my life, but life in my years as well.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    caroline likes this.
  8. Lahelada

    Lahelada New Member

    Happy First Day of Spring !

Share This Page