1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sandy's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Da-mo, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

No CT today but had a fairly physical day at work. Pain manageable with lots of stretching and avoiding walking long distances - taking the golf cart instead. Latest numbers . . . .

Height: 176 cm, 5'9"
    Weight: 84.2 kg
    Skeletal weight: 3.1 kg
    Body fat %: 26.4%
    Water Weight %: 50.9%
    Muscle Mass: 58.9 kg,
    Visceral fat rating: 11 (1-12 = healthy level of visceral fat, 13-59 = excess visceral fat)
    Physique rating: 2 (high body fat % with moderate muscle mass)
    Health age: >50
    BMR 1813kCal, 7587kJ

Weight up a little but muscle mass up, metabolism up and fat% down so happy with that for now.

2. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Rreadings at midday - weight down a little - appears to be mostly muscle mass tht came off - was a very late (4am) night of hedonism last night. I'm not sorry :p Garlic prawns for breakfast helping with the damage control.

Weight: 83.1 kg
    Skeletal weight: 3.1 kg
    Body fat %: 26.3%
    Water Weight %: 51%
    Muscle Mass: 58.2 kg,
    Visceral fat rating: 11 (1-12 = healthy level of visceral fat, 13-59 = excess visceral fat)
    BMR 1792kCal, 7499kJ

3. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

No water CT just ice vest - been pretty slack with the diet (grains, sugars) looks like I gained a kg - all fat no muscle - over the last few days:oops:

Weight: 84.1 kg (+1kg)
    Skeletal weight: 3.0 kg
    Body fat %: 27.4% (+1.1%)
    Water Weight %: 50.4% (-0.6%)
    Muscle Mass: 58.1 kg, (-0.1kg)
    Visceral fat rating: 12 (1-12 = healthy level of visceral fat, 13-59 = excess visceral fat) (+1)
    BMR 1791kCal, 7495kJ

4. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

@yewwei.tan Found this relating to digestion/constipation and nicotine.

5. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Nicotine is processed via the Cytochrome P450 system, so if your liver is really really sick, it could become a stressor. I'm awaiting tomorrow's Ubiquitination #12 to see whether the benefits of NAD+ boosting from nicotine outweigh the drawbacks when the user is actually in a sub-optimal environment with poor health.

For people whose p450 pathway is working, I see very little downside to low dose nicotine. Again, if we're cautious, we're talking 4mg a day, though I suspect even 10mg a day is an easily tolerable dose for a healthy person. :p

Nicotine definitely gives you smooth muscle activation in the GI tract, but I can't see how natural peristalsis would come to be dependent on nicotine, unless the user is seriously circadian-mismatched that a food stimulus fails to provoke this basic mechanism of the body. Still, if you take said sick person out of the environment that makes them sick, and then give them nicotine, is that a bad thing? My hunch is that the answer is "No", but I'll see what information comes up ;)

rlee314 and Josh like this.
  6. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks for your input @yewwei.tan it is always appreciated:cool:

7. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Been suffering a very painful case of tonsilitis the last few days. :(

Any suggestions welcome

8. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Pop sickles pop sickles and more pop sickles or ice cubs will do the job too. I used to have it all the time with high fever. Ice was always very soothing. Feel better soon!

9. Inger

Inger Silver

rinsing your throat with saltwater might help?
    Or hydrogen peroxide in water? Or Iodine?
    NAC...?
    Chopped raw onion around the throat used like a compress?
    just some thoughts :)

10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Yes did the ice thing, popsicle thing and even icepacks on the neck which seemed to help. Gargled Colloidal Silver, Apple Cider Vinegar, Salty water, mouthwash etc.

It got too far out of control - not sleeping, having trouble breathing with the swelling, relentless generalized inflammation- so generalized pain added to acute throat pain. My digestion had pretty much shut down - didnt seem like anything was moving through so I felt as if any food added on top might just get rejected. Dropped 5kg bodyweight - NONE off it of my abdomen.

After trying to tough it out for 4 days I wasn't making any headway, just getting weaker. So off the the doc I went.

Nurse asked me if I was still trying to give up smoking - I said I had given up and never felt worse lol

Upshot - 7 day course of Phenoxymethyl Penicillin (antibiotic) along with Naproxen for pain (NSAID).

Yeah, I know . . . I dont take antibiotics and nsaids lightly - and probably have taken any in the last 10 years. Interestingly, my osteoarthritic knees feel better since taking the Naproxen than they have in many many years. They have no pain - I forgot what that feels like.

11. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

I know I used to have it a lot because I smoked and being in rooms were people smoke. My parents both smoked. The strep throat started when I was pretty young. I didn't have one in about 4 years since a gave up smoking. Until last February. In winter I was a lot in places were people smoked. First I got flu and a week later strep throat. I took the antibiotics too. I had fever of 102 degrees for several days and started to dehydrated pretty bad. So I really understand you're choose. Stop with the NSAID (even if your knees feels better), better take asprine if you can/may. Get better first. Then try to recover from AB. And never start smoking again. I can really recommend it. And I was a bad ass nicotine junky (probably from conception and birth on).

O yeah I really had a bad craving for fresh white bread with peanut butter. That is really poison to me, but I ate it anyway because it somehow scrapped my throat. Pretty nasty.... never mind that.

Take care!

12. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

HA! Peanut butter was my comfort food for many years - but not often now being a legume.

I work with a guy who is 15 years younger than I. They will remove his tonsils next month. I have seen him almost always have a sore throat over the years I have worked with him. They say the bug is always in his tonsils waiting for his immune levels to drop.

From the local literature on the Naproxen
    . . . gives me a clue of where to start looking for alternative methods of managing knee pain . . . .

Peertje80 likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you using turmeric Sandy?

Have you tried the Golden Tumeric paste recipe that Fitness posted? ...in recipe section

I have made a cayenne pepper and coconut oil rub....good for inflammation
    2TBSP cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup of coconut oil

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

There is also a master cleanse recipe that I posted in the recipe section - good for inflammation .

15. Inger

Inger Silver

So sorry you struggle Sandy :oops:
    I used to have big issues with my tonsils... as a teenager. IDK if it is the same issue you have but mine got, and only the right side tonsil.... it got HUGE and so bad I could barely drink water. I got so dehydrated because i had very high fever too. It just hurt too bad to swallow anything! I could not even TALK, darn! That was the hardest part.. I remember I just cried, I was that miserable I had to take antibiotics too. And the doc had to cut the boil open and drain it.. it hurt so bad I almost passed out. So I got through that several times and the doc said I MUST cut my tonsils out, cause I am gonna get it again and again. And he said it is a dangerous bacteria in there... yeah.
    But.... I was so freaking scared of the surgery so I did not go...lol

Instead I just did it my own way o_O
    Next time I got it, I did not went to the doc at all... I waited and suffered with high fever... tried to get down water.. did not take any medicine... tried to swallow and swallow even if it hurt like crazy... then the old wound opened up and it drained naturally (yuck) and then I did anything I could think of... like garlic.... raw onions around my neck etc etc. So it healed, no antibiotics. I got it again many times, every time it was a milder version and less pain and inflammation.... never went to the doc again and after a few years it stopped... I just got a little sore for a few days and that was it. So now... in maybe 12 years.. I have had no issues whatsoever with my tonsils, they are perfectly healthy :) :)

Maybe I have some dangerous bacteria lurking....lol but I feel very healthy and it just makes me take good care of me, so maybe it is a good thing after all ;)
    and I am so freaking happy I still have all the organs intact in my body :) :)

Peertje80 likes this.
  16. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Okey a weird take on situations like this and how i react to the environment...

If i spend to much time indoors, to much time in fake light and warm places i get a growing pain and swelling in my neck, throat and around eyes. I take it like a reaction that i must change place, find natural solutions.

I go out, place my ass on the ground, under a pine or by the sea. Focus on my breath, since i do my freediving i love air but loves to control myself. Deep breath, in thru my nose and in best cases out that way, if i am under stress i breath out thru mouth. Starts to do 1 - 4 - 2 intervals. In for 1 second, hold for four and out for two, i adjust in proper ways to set systems into sync, i feel a calm very soon and pain goes away, swelling also. Good if you can not sleep also but not a long term solution.

Inger likes this.
  17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

One thing I'd try is inhaling steam (from a safe distance) through your mouth and nose. Burst of water chemistry energy right to the spots that need it.

18. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I often have tumeric with shrimp and coconut cream but have been usuing garlic lately so maybe a month since I last had tumeric

Cayenne pepper (Solanaceae family) is one of the things on the no fly list for me because of arthritis.

I'll have a look at the cleanse, thanks:)

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  19. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

No Inger, I have never had big issues with my tonsils. My son did and had his adenoids out and grommets when he was 2yo and his tonsils later when he around 12yo.

As a child my biggest illnesses were hepatitis when I was around 6-7 and bronchitis a couple of years later. Other than that I had a very healthy childhood mostly outdoors exploring the world with my friends or else various sports.

I dont often get sick - If I do it is either in the spring or the autumn when the weather temperature changes and then only last a day or two. Most times I do not go t the doctor - I fight it off myself as you did - but this time I had the feeling that if I tried that I was going to do more damage to myself than if I just took the medicine. So I chose what felt like the lesser of two evils this time. I think that up to a certain point, you can tell whether you are going to have enough strength to fight the illness off without help, and when you need help. My wife had the same thing 1 week before i did and she was beginning to get better by herself after just 2 days compared to me still going downhill after 4.

20. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

For me too much time indoors gives me a feeling of discomfort - the softest chair or bed still feels hard and lumpy - and time out in nature sitting on the ground or on logs or walking over uneven natural ground is the only thing that can restore that feeling of comfort. After that the the hardest old chair feels wonderful. When I visit my relatives in Fiji I sleep on the floor, or on the ground, and we spend the evenings outside under the stars around the fire. Feels like home to me - connected and solid and balanced sufficient all at once.

On the 2nd day of the tonsilitis the sun came out (it has been raining heavily since) so I went outside onto the grass at about 9am, removed my shirt and sat in the sun with my 2 dogs and even fell asleep with them for a few hours - dozing in on the grass under the bight sun. After about 4-5 hours I felt Id absorbed as much as I could handle and it was starting to make me feel worse again so I stopped.

But that night in a fitful sleep in a dream I woke with the distinct impression I had dreamed JK saying "tonsilitis strips the redox potential out of the cell" so I sat up in bed cross-legged and did the only thing I could think of at that moment to restore the redox which was to practice "chi up" by drawing in universal energy and then circulating it using a Buddhist breathing meditation I knew called "small circulation". It seemed to work temporarily but I dont seem to be able to store charge like I used to. Its not that my battery has stopped working - more like it has developed a memory and doesnt cycle as deeply as it used to.

I have not tried your breathing technique - we generally didn't ever hold our breath in martial arts - but since this is about health more than combat I shall give your method a try:)

Last edited: May 14, 2015