1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sandy's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Da-mo, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Still pushing on with the non-smoking - and even more - non-nicotine support. Day three and day five are purported to be the worst with regards to nicotine withdrawal. Day three was indeed difficult and today is day 5 so . . . . .
    Starting to think of this whole non-smoking thing as an interesting biohack and since there is little info here regarding smoking I'd better document my thoughts.

Weight has ballooned out from 76kg smoking weight to 78-79kg non-smoking but with nicotine suppport to 83kg today without nicotine support.

After reading some posts by @yewwei.tanin this thread http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/why-do-i-have-to-pee-a-ton-when-i-ct.12034/#post-155809 :
    and @Sue-UKposts on the previous page of this journal:
    . . . a picture is forming of the links between smoking/nicotine cessation and weight gain.

It would seem to me that a large part of my tensegrity was being maintained by the nicotine habit.
    1. Nicotine causing respiratory uncoupling.
    2. Uncoupling causing increased electron flow and IR light release
    3. IR light creating EZ water and shrinking that water along with the organelles within it and altering relative bouyancies as per Archimedes principles.
    4. Improved cellular signalling due to reduced distances between organelles particularly the mitochondria and cell nucleii.
    5. Increased electron flow creating more magnetism and in conjunction with 3. above tightening tensegrity of intracellular and extracellular matrix.
    6. With the tightening of the matrix and decreased cellular volumes - less water is required to fill the reduced volumes.
    It is quite illuminating to think that nicotine can quite literally hold a person together based on these effects.

So what happens when I cut out the nicotine?
    1. Loss of uncoupling
    2. Lowered electron flow and IR light release
    3. Less EZ water created - expansion of water along with organelles within it and relative bouyancies as per Archimedes principles
    4. Cellar signalling degenerates as organelles move further from each other as in 3. and tensegrity is lost as in 5.
    5. Decreased electron flow causes decrease in magnetism and a loss of tensegrity
    6. Increases of intra and extracelllular volumes fill with water which shows up as bloating and weight gain.
    Indeed, since cutting the nicotine out I have been drinking lots of water and peeing very little.

The loss of tensegrity would also go some way to explaining the increased aches and pains I've had since going nicotine free along with decreases in peak strength - the tendons and ligaments protest long before the muscle is fully taxed.

So it seems that for a long time smoker, health will take a few steps backwards with elimination of nicotine until an alternative way to maintain tensegrity via uncoupling is attained.

IR Light to shrink water whether from CT or otherwise to tighten the strings on the instrument . . . . Light Water and Magnetism - it really does all come down to this

Then with regards to CT . . . .
    Still trying to work out why this ^^^^ is the case. Does long term uncoupling from nicotine displace an ability to uncouple from cold receptors? Why/How?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Lahelada likes this.
  2. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

In the interest of providing information for smokers who may follow:

http://www.healthline.com/health-bl...rs-take-over-month-normalize-after-quitting#3

3. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

The same research as above but with pics of brain scans included
    [​IMG]
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/news-event...c-receptors-take-more-than-month-to-normalize

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

In search of . . . .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15267080

5. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12791621

Caffeine is an uncoupler too
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12010181

If only it werent such a psychological trigger for smoking.

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I really think that low dose nicotine has good effects, with little downside, other than the potential addictive effects.

TBH, you probably have a good enough addiction tolerance threshold due to your history of use, and I see very little harm in sticking to multiple small doses of nicotine a day.

In terms of dosing, you start to see significant UCP up-regulation with 1mg. The general rule of thumb is 1 cigarette => 1mg nicotine. Single dose benefits seem to cap out at a 4mg dose.

I'd personally say that getting a bunch of 2mg nicotine gum pieces, and then taking them anywhere from 3-5 times a day (6-10mg a day), spread throughout the day, but best taken:

(a) First thing in the morning in a fasted stated before breakfast

(b) Before and during CT

(c) Possibly before bed, but this has to be experimented with, since some people find that this prevents sleep onset due to body temp increase. I personally find this NOT to be case if I stick to a circadian appropriate eating template (no eating when it's dark)

7. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

You would think so huh? While I have not been smoking for a fair while now - I have only stopped taking nicotine recently. So according to the research above it will be at least another 3 weeks before my brain uninstalls all the excess empty nicotine receptors it had previously downloaded. During this period - I would guess that taking nicotine and filling up those receptors will prevent them getting uninstalled. The addiction/craving seems to be tied to the amount of empty receptors remaining - so maybe sometime after these conditions have normalised I may be able to tolerate smaller doses - but for the moment I think it will just be prolonging the agony:eek::D

Also - its quite possible that the feedback loop looks not at how many receptors are filled - but how many are empty - meaning that it would take ever increasing doses to obtain the same effect.

8. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Couple of things:

(a) n=1, you'll always need to test for yourself ;)

(b) If you want to be more cautious, 4mg a day is more than enough to get good effect. This is a fairly small dose.

(c) Nicotine doesn't just affect the Central Nervous System (CNS), and has effects within the peripheral nervous system (PNS) as well. Withdrawal symptoms are probably going to be tied to brain receptor activity, as well as downstream dopamine levels, and that is where the studies cited have relevance.

However, the effects that it has on the rest of the body are likely not reflected in brain receptor activity. Simulation of Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR) in the rest of the PNS is likely what up-regulates UCP activity in skeletal tissue to get the collagen tightening effects you're after.

I assume that these peripheral nAChRs also get some sort of receptor resistance, requiring more stimulus to get the UCP up-regulation. However, I do not think these receptors are as sensitive to negative feedback from downstream products like dopamine. ie: the CNS receptors are more likely to experience more resistance than the PNS receptors, which will likely continue to up-regulate the desired activity even with the low doses used.

I also suspect that addition of low-dose nicotine (say 4mg a day) would help withdrawal symptoms.

9. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Just to put the doses in perspective - the oral spray I was using were 1mg shots - no more than 4 doses in any 1 hour and more than 64 doses in one day.

I figure I was using up to 30-35 mg/day to keep the heebeegeebees away. That's based on a double shot waking and before sleep and a shot every 1/2 hour during a 15 waking hours day. 4mg would seem like a cruel tease :eek:

I certainly agree with the peripheral PNS effects - while not smoking and using spray my lungs felt quite deprived of nicotine. It feels as if all the parts of the body get addicted individually.

Interestingly - while actually smoking - if 1mg nicotine = 1 cigarette - I would have only been taking probably less than half the amount of nicotine on board than with the spray. I've read somewhere that they add ammonia to tobacco to make it much more potent somehow.

I think the delivery method has large effects - skin patches did absolutely nothing for me. Oral Spray could keep most of the cravings in check (although double the daily intake versus cigarette smoke was required). Whereas an actual cigarette - particularly that first of the day could cause tingling in the extremeties and actual electric jolts through the body - something the oral spray or gum never causes.

Also interesting that you mention PNS receptors is that I believe smoking was causing me peripheral neuropathy at the numbness end of the scale. Sensation seemed dulled and attenuated between the periphery and the brain. This would also mean having dulled or inactive physiological responses to external stimulli such as touch, hot/cold etc. Since CT is a surface phenomenon - maybe that neuropathy is the link JK was thinking of when he wrote that a tobacco use history would be detrimental to cold adaptation.

10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

BTW, day 5 nicotine free = decided not to go out tonight - probably would have smoked a ciggie or two if I did

Lahelada likes this.
  11. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

Good for you! I started smoking at the age of 12. First rolling tabaco, later cigarettes. I tried to quit a few times with patches and gum. That didn't work. So I went cold turkey and meditated my ass of to let go. That worked like a charm (4 years smoke free).

First weeks I experienced shortness of breath, vertigo, headaches, light flashes, coughing like hell, shivering, cold hands and feet, heart palpitations and tremors. But just ignore that, you'll be fine. After that it has all to do with ingrained habits and coping. I feel so lucky that even the smell repulses me now and I don't care for it even when stressed out. Only time I have to be careful is when I have alcohol.

Don't see it as something you cannot do any more (lose=grieve=smoking), but an enrichment that you're not chained to your smoke. Hang in there. You can do it!

12. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Reminded me of Candace Pert's book (Molecules of Emotion) ...... potential triggers for cellular memory (quantum?), can be years and years after the cells and receptors have been replaced..... :eek: For me it isn't smoking, I think about the cellular memory related to previous starvation diets...:confused:

Lahelada likes this.
  13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thou thinkest good, Sue.

nonchalant likes this.
  14. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks Peertje80:)

Yes, having a smoke always seemed like a rest point - a quick way to feel normal. At the moment though, I get the craving and then a few minutes later the craving subsides and I get that similar rest point feeling.

Day 7 nicotine free this morning - feels a little easier. Got back into the CT last night with 20 minutes in the tub at 12degC. Later rolled out quadraceps and IT bands on a foam roller and hip and knee joints were much more comfortable last night.

Oxytocin seems like a good substitute for nicotine - but I cant take her to work with me:confused::p:eek:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

So I was reading more about nicotine effects and found that it increases metabolic rate. This could be another reason for the weight gain if my metabolism has slowed. My body will be gaining mass with accompanying metabolic increase (more of me to maintain) to keep the balance of mass equivalence.

Luckily, CT is capable of reducing mass and increasing metabolic rate (RMR or REE) at the same time:):cool:

16. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

My daughter has a flash set of scales that estimates metabolic rate - think I'll start tracking it to see how things trend from here.

1st RMR reading off the scales before breakfast but after oxy (gotta get the priorities straight lol), CT 12 hours previous

1771 kCal or 7411 kJ . . . not sure how the scales come up with that - will need to read the manual

2nd RMR reading same day 8pm after 30 minutes CT

1678 kCal OR 7019 kJ . . . not what I was expecting but still not sure how this gadget obtains those readings

17. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

So 24 hours after the first set of readings RMR is 1801 kCal or 7537 kJ . . . . slight improvement over yesterday - hope this is a beginning of a trend.

Might as record the full set of figures. Here's a set after waking up - post-oxy, pre-breakfast

Height: 176 cm, 5'9"
    Weight: 84 kg
    Water Weight %: 50.3%
    Muscle Mass: 57.7 kg,
    Skeletal weight: 3 kg
    Body fat %: 27.6%
    Visceral fat rating: 12 (1-12 = healthy level of visceral fat, 13-59 = excess visceral fat)
    Physique rating: 2 (high body fat % with moderate muscle mass)
    Health age: >50 :(

Just reading how this gadget works out the RMR/BMR (resting metabolic rate or basal metabolic rate). It is using age, weight and body composition (obtained by impedance measurement) to arrive at the BMR - the method has been validated using indirect calorimetry (measuring breath composition). Device is a Tanita InnerScan Body Composition Monitor.

I think I should be able to improve Physique rating to a 5 (average fat/average muscle) pretty easily if I can drop weight back down to smoking levels (76-78kg). Probably be able to hit an 8 rating (low fat/average muscle) if I lean out further but would be better adding muscle mass.

If nothing else - I want this recent weight off to take the stress off my knees. 3 kg made a noticeable difference in pain when at 76-77 kg - now I'm 84 its quite limiting.

18. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

After a night shift - no food for 15 hours - negligible CT.

BMR 1783 kCal, 7461 kJ
    Weight: 83.1 kg
    Water Weight %: 50.7%
    Muscle Mass: 57.9 kg,
    Skeletal weight: 3 kg
    Body fat %: 26.7%
    Visceral fat rating: 11 (1-12 = healthy level of visceral fat, 13-59 = excess visceral fat)
    Physique rating: 2 (high body fat % with moderate muscle mass)
    Health age: >50

19. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks spinergie, I needed that. Feeling a bit depressed today with knee hurting seemingly all the time lately and pain radiating through quadriceps and a bit of sciatica thrown in just to be sure :mad:.

Just wondering how much of this knee pain is new and how much is just a change in perception since ditching nicotine . . . . apparently it can do that.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9526150

20. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Skipped the ice tub for one day then back into it last night. Didn't have time to record the body comp readings this morning but I did have a look at them and they seem consistent with the others so far - nothing dramatic.