1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sandy's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Da-mo, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Been here a little while, thought I'd better start one of these and have a place to gather updates.

Interests: Health, Nutrition, Internal Martial Arts, Horsemanship

Born in NZ of a young Fijian mother and middle aged Scottish father who had thought he was infertile as a result of contracting spinal malaria in Africa - until I arrived along with my siblings.

I was born with a club foot which was operated on while I was still a baby and although the right ankle has limited range of movement and calf muscle is half the size of the left one - I was still able to play soccer, tennis, swim, run and be very athletic at a fairly high level (regional to national).

Gymnast through teen years, Martial artist through 20s and 30s, Very sedentary unhealthy lifestyle in early 40s and getting back to being healthy again from mid 40s on.

The martial arts part of my life was derived from Chinese internal or meditative martial arts using chi (vital energy) and yi (will/intent). It was a journey that started out being about self-defence, morphed into being about health and then finally was about philosophy and spirituality.

Married 24 years (but together 31, high school sweethearts) with 3 offspring ranging from 18 to 24.

Currently declining the lure of higher paying employment in favour of health and quality of life. We live on 5 acres by a river in beautiful surroundings. Smart meters are halfway up the driveway (about 75 meters away) and neighbourhood 415V power lines out on the road about 150 meters away. Nearest cell phone tower is 1200metres away as the crow flies, next nearest about 2km and next nearest about 15km.

Eating an Epi-paleo template and engaging in CT with good results including elimination of pain and inflammation from osteoarthrosis in knees. . . . grounding most days and enjoying the sunlight as much as possible.

On going medications - Flixotide and Ventolin for asthma.

Still struggling to give up cigarettes (mixed success) so looking for some sort of dopamine reset to help with that.

As an operator in a power station I have the perfect storm of shift work combined with high nnEMF. I'm currently manoeuvring into a position where I should be able to reduce the shift work to only 50% within the year and hopefully eliminate it not long after that.

Updates copied and pasted from this thread: http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/nightshifts-and-ct-timing-use.12109/page-2#post-147703

10 Nov 14
    Got it - biggest thing I can do for myself is stop making myself hypoxic and destroying my magnetism. Smoking stops now.

My habit replacement strategies - any time I think of smoking . .
    Meditation
    Read blogs, watch podcasts and webinars
    CT (while reading blogs, watching podcasts and webinars)
    Exercise
    Sex (who needs a reason) :cool:
    Sexercise:D

12 Nov 14
    Have had 2 cigarettes in the last 48 hours - effects so far . . .
    Reduced ability to concentrate/think - tired brain.
    Anything intruding or interrupting my thought is perceived as very annoying.
    Carb cravings - ate 4 large cookies and several small ones
    Restless leg syndrome and aches in rotator cuffs of shoulders
    Knees surprisingly feeling better and feels as if better circulation in legs
    Retaining water - not drinking coffee as it was always accompanied by a smoke.
    Feel as if digestion has slowed down - bowels not evacuating as well.
    Abdominal muscles feel more activated - toned
    Increased appetite - I have read that this can be the hand to mouth habit but also the craving for nicotine feels like hunger but one cannot satisfy the other.
    I have gained 2-3kgs - I hope this is water but it feels more like a full tummy

At least the nightshifts are over for another week and I can be more active in the daylight and CT in the evening with boatloads of water and seafood and good sleep.

Still digesting Jack's posts as much as low dopamine will allow for - its a good distracting when the cravings kick in.

13 Nov 14
    Felt much better this morning - hammering the nicotine spray.
    Sleep was a little restless but feel still feel rested this morning.
    Libido lagging a little compared to normal.
    Morning bowel movement better after dropping some magnesium last night following 20 minutes CT in 12degC water.
    Ate 6 spicy sausages for breakfast - lunch today will be a tin of salmon and dinner will be a pot of oysters - then CT again before bed.
    Had Mrs help me with getting a dopamine hit this morning before work - with some oxytocin and vasopressin for good measure ;)
    Wife and daughter also doing CT - they can go longer than me - non-smokers and more body fat.

14 Nov 14
    Weight gain has been arrested since hitting the nicotine spray harder.

CT good again last night - listening to podcasts gets me through it - lighting several candles in the bathroom helped too, especially when getting out and the air has been warmed up by the candles.

Had to miss out on dopamine/oxytocin/vasopressin before work this morning - time was taken up cooking and eating BAB - corned beef and eggs. Eating it outside with bare feet on the ground and watching the sunrise.

The roses have bloomed so I'll pick one for my love before the horses eat them all. Red or apricot? . . . . decisions:cool:

19 Nov 14
    Day 8 - have had 4 cigarettes over the past 8 days. Most recent was 3 days ago. Did not get the hit off it that I would have expected but then I have been using the nicotine spray frequently.
    Health decisions have been good lately so hopefully dopamine levels are maintaining - nightshift does produce some carb cravings although I haven't' succumbed yet.
    CT last night was very different - a lot less shivering than before, onset of shivering was much later and intensity was much less, barely perceptible. Skin did not get as red as it usually does even though temp and duration was the same. Could be time to increase duration.
    Trying to work out how to implement some of the Jetlag Rx for when I'm on nightshifts. Its like flying to the opposite side of the world and back again within a 36 hour window. To make matters worse - its a morning arrival time (7am).

So . . . when my dopamine goes low my lovely wife can seem extremely annoying - managing to laugh at myself as I reach for "anti-bitch spray" (nicotine spray).

I better stay on the right side of her because from past experience stopping smoking, at around the 2 week mark, I start getting very . . . . errrrm . . . . affectionate ;)

Oh . . . . the need for the asthma medications has fallen to virtually nothing.:D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Apricot!

Great start on your journal. Hang in there with the non-smoking. Well worth it in the end! I only smoked for one short 3-month period at age 18. So glad it didn't get me.

3. kovita

kovita Silver

go on! Do not let your old bloody habit to prevent your great future! I am exsmoker, i feel for you! Everytime i had a cigarette ever since i stopped smoking I realized how bloody poisonous that stuff is!
    It would be interesting if you can share with us sometimes what have you learnt and heard from your mother. She must still be the generation which hrew up when Fiji was relatively untouched. there must be a lot of interesting native wisdom you were raised up with!

fitness@home likes this.
  4. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I'm on nightshift right now and I'm actually having much stronger carb cravings than cigarette cravings:mad:
    Yes, my mother grew up in a mountain village in the Sigatoka valley. The river was their highway until my dad, a civil engineer, arrived with 200 men, bulldozers and dynamite to build a road.

Apart from the way they live so close to nature, the wisest thing I think is their laid back, low stress outlook. At any tourist resort in Fiji you will see the guests on holiday walking faster than the staff at work. This song I think expresses some of that:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxqYigFwUTQ

5. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I'd better mention it since I think I saw it was a good sign somewhere on here - the other night I had the most vivid dreams - even more it was a dream within a dream within a dream. What I mean is I woke from one dream into another dream, then into another dream before finally being awake for real. Its kind of weird when you think you are awake but then realise you were dreaming of being awakeo_O

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    caroline, Lahelada and fitness@home like this.
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome to journal land Sandy! I will come back and read more carefully.

Good morning from Oz!

7. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Copied over from another thread since it is current and relates to my personal thunderstorm. http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/how-about-that-call-yesterday.12181/#post-147787

Boom!!
    This explains my experience last nightshift. I don't usually eat on a nightshift - but last night I did - and today I am 3kg heavier than usual. I usually treat the nightshifts as an intermittent fast just like any normal night. Tonight I will not eat on the nightshift and sleep at home before I eat so the IF will be something like 17-18 hours.
    Treating the nightshifts as if for jetlag and fasting during as per Jetlag Rx.

8. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Bleh, nightshifts are always tough to deal with :confused:

If you're interested I've made some notes from John Kiefer's "Nicotine Declassified", which talks about the use of nicotine in the context of body composition and fitness. This also comes from a relatively conservative perspective, meaning that it is just a protocol made based on reviews of the current research. No Quantum magic here --- http://tanyewwei.com/notes/kiefer-nicotine

I've never had a cigarette ever, and only experimented with low dose nicotine via gum. The dose was as Kiefer recommends, 4mg via a gum that takes about 30 mins to deplete. I also made sure to get gum that uses sugar alcohols or stevia instead of phenylalanine-containing compounds as a sweetener, since stuff like aspartame can screw with neurochemistry. As a comparison, an average cigarette is thought to have 1mg of nicotine, so 4mg is actually a significant dose.

I definitely experience an appetite blunting effect, along with some of the thermogenic effects due to upregulation of uncoupling protein activity . Maybe this is something to experiment with?

9. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks for the link - I saw that referred to in the Fasted State Training thread

I'm currently using a nicotine mouth spray at 1mg/spray. Max dosage is 64 sprays per 24 hours which is a huge amount of nicotine.

You are probably just the guy to evaluate this, would love to get your opinion on the implications if it is valid . . . .

http://www.sott.net/article/270514-Nicotine-vs-nicotinic-acid-niacin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Great diary start. My answer would have been apricot,too.
    Now for the molecular structure thingy you will have to wait for Yew. No idea myself.;)

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

My current opinion is actually that most ingested nicotine is oxidised to cotinine -- http://www.nature.com/clpt/journal/v57/n5/full/clpt199566a.html (Wiki article -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotinine)

It seems like 70-80% of all nicotine will be oxidised to this form, requiring NADPH (PPP alert) and O2. This is regardless of whether the nicotine is obtained orally or through smoke.

This is a good paper explaining nicotine processing in the body -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953858/

Figure 3 shows all conventionally known breakdown products of nicotine ingestion -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953858/figure/F3/

I personally think that the main benefit of nicotine is up-regulation of uncoupling proteins, specifically within white adipose tissue, and to a certain extent in the brain. I can definitely see how uncoupling of metabolism in WAT is advantageous for exercise performance (as well as CT), since you're getting free heat generation and expansion of EZ water (assuming that they are in the right places). eg: uncoupling of intra-muscular triglycerides would basically produce free heat for the surrounding skeletal muscle cells. I honestly have no clue how this happens though.

I should re-emphasie the requirement for NADPH and O2 for nicotine metabolism. This is just to say that I think nicotine should be used ideally only when the body is capable of producing these molecules with sufficient reducing power.

13. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Thanks so much Yew.

I've been researching the downsides of nicotine (sans smoke) with respect to metabolism and the P450 system and also neurotransmitters - but had missed the PPP link.

Stopping smoking is one thing, getting off the nicotine spray will be the next.

Currently compiling a list of supporting supplements to help restore normal NT function sans nicotine.
    . . . . chocolate
    . . . . orgasms
    . . . . :D

but seriously . . .
    . . . L-tyrosine
    . . . L-tryptophan
    . . . P-5-P (active form of Vit. B6)
    . . . GABA (unavailable in NZ because customs thinks we will make date rape drug GHB out of it :rolleyes: - possible options are GABA tea or precursor glutamine)
    . . . Omega 3 (seafood)
    . . . multivitamins (oysters)
    . . . multiminerals (oysters)

or perhaps the good Dr. might say that raw oysters could replace that whole list?
    . . . (except for the chocolate and orgasms:D)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  14. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Anyway - Day 10 still not smoking :cool: When I get a bit grouchy Mrs tells me to take my anti-ahole spray (known to me as anti bitch spray).

Even better, my oldest daughter passed her final exams for physiotherapy today with an A- average. So she's back living at home now while on placement for her final year - we can start undoing the toll that university life in the big city has taken upon her. Got her eating Leptin Rx and CTing . . . . . just waiting for the estrogen dumping to start . . . . . BOOM here comes the BOOM here comes the BOOM . . . . . www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJfdWxpI2Q

15. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I'll bet you're not really looking forward to that Estrogen Dump ;).

Finding shelter may be a good idea...

caroline likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

love your journal Sandy ..... I love how you are thinking everything thru and evaluating.

17. kovita

kovita Silver

i dream so much and so vidi that is waking me up, so for me dreaming is not a function of a good sleep. I used to have very wild dreams which changed now with the pregnancy to low action dreams where a lot of things happen on a communication level between the creatures present in the dreams. Not sure what is most annoying ;-)

18. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

22nd Nov 14 Day 12 - still not smoking. After resisting them for several days I finally cracked yesterday during the morning at work and ate 2 big cookies . . . F U cookies :mad:

I've been having hot flushes the last couple of days - felt like I was coming down with a cold or something but then felt on top of the world after an afternoon nap . When I felt like this yesterday, nicotine spray consumption dropped way off as well. Loaded up on some zinc, Vit. C and echinacea last night just in case it is a cold.

Hot flushes may also be because I skipped CT over nightshifts and yesterday my younger daughter took us all to see the latest Hunger Games movie - so I ate later than usual and couldn't CT. 3 days without CT. Last night I was really looking forward to CT and pushed it out to 30mins at 12degC while listening to the recording of the November Webinar Q&A. CT by candlelight is so nice I felt almost as if I could fall asleep in the tub last night. I was shivering more than last time but not as much as I used to - its getting easier. Forgot to bring my ice-vest to work today so will push harder on the CT again tonight.

Very glad to see my wife and oldest daughter still going with the CT - but they warm the water up from around 12degC to around 15-16degC by the time they're done - so I end up dumping the water and starting again at 13degC before adding ice to get it below 12.

We have rainwater to a tank for the house supply and also a bore backup so water is not a problem here. The bore water actually tastes a lot nicer than the rainwater - it might be better for us considering it lives in the ground and we have that donut hole thing going on down this part of the world. At least the rainwater sits in a concrete tank set into a hillside so hopefully its getting some good ground effect in it. Currently just running it all through a 20micron whole house filter - may change to something better later - maybe 5-7 micron +charcoal.

Might just still be running a sleep deficit - probably 3-4 hours short over the last 3 days. I've been taking CoQ10 over the nightshifts per Jetlag Rx. I wake shortly before my alarm goes at 5am on days I'm not working nightshift. If I don't have to go in to work I can usually go straight back to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours at least. This morning I woke before alarm then went back to sleep and was having a very vivid dream when the alarm finally did go off.

BAB this morning was a smoothie (banana, blueberries, kiwifruit, spirulina, maca, coconut cream, yoghurt, milk) followed by 2 salmon steaks (about 500g). Lunch will be a couple of tins of sardines and dinner will be bacon and eggs. Still having occasional hot flushes this morning though and a threatening headache that feels as if its waiting just below the surface.

The biggest indicator I'm keeping tabs on at the moment is tinnitus. My ears ring constantly its only the intensity that varies. Since I'm not smoking and coffee consumption has fallen off a cliff - I'm thinking it might be the electric fence power unit that is running about 10m away in the garage behind my bedroom. The last time I remember not having any tinnitus was when we moved here a year ago and the fences were switched off because the horses hadn't arrived yet. I'll be looking at moving the power unit further away until I can get the fences horse-safe enough that they don't need to be powered up. I may even get one of those battery powered ones to use local to the fence so I can turn the mains supply off.

Started bio hacking my work commute. I have a couple of routes to choose from on my 15-20 minute each way drive to/from work. I'm looking at the power lines running alongside each of the routes and deciding which has a lesser effect. One route has mainly 415V lines with occasional 3.3kV. The other has a mixture of 415V, 3.3kV and 11kV with a couple of 220kV crossings. luckily these are old roads so the network is all still above ground where you can see it. The longer route has the lesser apparent EMF and is only maybe an extra 500m so I think I'll switch to that one . . . . every little bit counts, right?;)

Almost forgot - weight . . . still hovering around 2-3 kg heavier than smoking weight. Feel as if the food is staying inside me longer - feeling a bit bloated to be honest. Bowel movements not as regular.

Also - since I'm not drinking coffee (smoking trigger) I've been drinking lots of green tea instead.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  19. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Sparked by something in the T10 thread . . .

Yesterday in between nightshifts I slept without earplugs for the first time in ages. I usually wear them if I sleep during the day so that the rest of the household can go about their day without waking me. With earplugs I find I sleep maybe 4 or 5 hours. Today I slept 9. It may also be due to wearing blue blockers for the whole previous nightshift rather than just the last few hours before sleep. I also have tinnitus and the last time I can remember not having it was during a short 2 week period while moving house where:
    • I had no time for internet or TV (and they were in transit anyway)
    • I was not smoking
    • I was getting lots of exercise moving house and preparing the old place for sale
    • I was on leave so was not exposed to the EMF at work
    • I was not doing shift work due to being on leave
    • Because I was not doing shift work and sleeping at normal times, I did not wear earplugs.

caroline likes this.
  20. caroline

caroline Moderator

Good morning Sandy! you are making great connections .......