1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sandra's Optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Sandra, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Sandra

Sandra New Member

my last few breakfasts ...

- 3 beef sausages and 2 eggs
    - 2 beef sausages and a smoothie/ice cream made from 100g pumpkin seeds, 4 ice cubes of mango puree, and 1/2 cup coconut cream - blitz together = YUM!
    - 2 hamburger patties (200g total) and 170g bolognese sauce ... guessing about 1/3 veggies, so 300g beef mince in total

They seem to all be around 50g protein, and it took AGES to eat it ... but I wasn't hungry for around 7 hours!

2. Sandra

Sandra New Member

I think my Leptin Reset essentially started today as I was starting to eat my BAB's within 1 hr of waking ... as of today, it's 1/2 an hour!!

So, some stats ...

38 year old female

weight - 65kg (143 pds)

height - 165cm (5ft 5in)

a bit of a tummy pudge but otherwise I'm OK with my body shape

2 kids, aged 9 and 7

I'd like to get to the bottom of my tiredness ... not critical, but less than optimal, and the more I read, the more I wonder if I have adrenal or hormone issues too. Again, I'm not feeling they are at a critical level, but something is off (and I guess this means something could be critical at some time in the future!)

no labs back yet ... tracked down some from a few years ago and had a few done last week - shall post results when I get them. I couldn't get all the ones I wanted due to the doctor not feeling they were in relation to my 'tiredness' which is what I went to see her about ... time for a new doc, I know - working on that.

Have been eating Paleo for about 12 months, including a little dairy, but have decided to remove all dairy now to see if that makes any difference.

My work and home life is reasonably stress-free, and although it is constant and I don't have a lot of down-time, I don't feel overwhelmed with anything. I work 2 days a week at home, 3 days away from home, have a few after school activities for the kids, husband works from home and life if pretty flexible and balanced.

Usual daily timeframe ...
    5am - wake up
    5:30am to 6am - brekky
    6am to 3pm - work
    11am - lunch
    3:30pm - my dinner
    3pm to 7pm - kids homework, activities, dinner prep
    8:30/9pm - bed

Sleep is pretty good ... if I wake up during the night, I go back to sleep pretty quickly. Usually fall asleep alright and wake just before my 5am alarm. Always yawn and feel tired during the day, even if I get more sleep. I have a magnetico mattress but can't say I've noticed any great difference since having it (around 2 months now).

I use the blue-blocker glasses too, and doing it religiously now while on the Leptin Reset.

Is there anything else I should note?

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Sandra! Are you in peri menopause? Are you getting an ASI done?

it sounds as if you are on top of things regarding home/work .... and you get to spend time with Nick 3 days a week? lucky girl I think!

4. Sandra

Sandra New Member

I doubt I'm peri menopausal as I have hardly any of the symptoms (listed below) but if there's other things you think point to it, I'd love to hear it. I am still on the pill so could that mask it, and I'm 38 ... is that early?

Perhaps I should seek out an ASI test. I mentioned "adrenal" to the GP when I had my blood tests ordered last week and she told me that medicine doesn't deal with adrenal issues and I'd need to talk to the naturopath about that. I want to get the other test results back but really don't feel like I can go back and talk to her - I'm not going to get anywhere!

35 Symptoms of Perimenopause

Hot flashes, hot flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
    Irregular heart beat
    Irritability
    Mood swings, sudden tears
    Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
    Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
    Loss of libido
    Vaginal dryness
    Crashing fatigue
    Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
    Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
    Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
    Disturbing memory lapses
    Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
    Itchy, crawly skin
    Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
    Increased tension in muscles
    Breast tenderness
    Headache change: increase or decrease
    Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
    Sudden bouts of bloat
    Depression
    Exacerbation of existing conditions
    Increase in allergies
    Weight gain
    Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
    Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
    Changes in body odor
    Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
    Tingling in the extremities
    Gum problems, increased bleeding
    Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
    Osteoporosis (after several years)
    Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
    Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Don't discount peri menopause. my daughter is and has been and she is 40.

Why is it that Docs say there is no such thing as adrenal stress or failure???? I don't get that!

How is your libido? A great indication of your hormones. An ASI would be a good thing .... and you would have a baseline.

Did I tell you about Suzanne Somer's books? in particular "breakthrough" She gives you a great rundown of all the hormones and what they do and how they interact. You need this knowledge when talking to a Doc - so they can't brush you off. What about Nick's Doc?

6. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Is there a 'test' for peri menopause ... I'll do some research. But, the other thing is that I've felt like this for ages - years/decades, just a bit sub-optimal. I'd say my libido has never been perfect (except while I was pregnant with my daughter!) Haven't heard about those books so I'll check them out too. I think that's the thing about knowledge ... I feel like I don't have enough at the moment to justify why I want these other tests done and how it all ties together. I understand it when Nick tells me stuff or when I read it, but then trying to regurgitate it to someone who is trying to counteract what you are saying is where I can't get it all together. I don't know if we ever chatted about Nick's Dr, but I'll check it out. Thanks :)

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Somer's books are very easy to read and understand ....Dr. K. does recommend them. If you get a hard copy you can take it with you to the Doc. Have you read Dr. K's book? I can't remember - great section on labs.

Simple blood test will your Doc if you are in perimenopause.

You definitely shouldn't feel sub optimal .... don't settle .......

We really need to understand this redox potential stuff.

I generally can't regurgitate stuff either - I hate that ... but I do know that we should be striving for optimal! and we need to have a Doctor that is willing to be a partner with us. Mine is great and very interested but doesn't have time to keep up with all this so I always bring him info and he is also always interested in Jack's point of view on everything and we talk, talk, talk!

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sandra - did you listen to the free webinar that Dr. Jackson did for us? It should be on the home page...

9. Sandra

Sandra New Member

I did ask about getting some hormone levels tested - the ones that were recommended by Dr K - but the doc said it would be pointless as I'm on the pill. I'll see if I can find that webinar. There's so much info isn't there!

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sandra - I just checked ....go to the home page - to the blog index. You will see Dr. Tim's blog and free webinar - it is a fair way down.

11. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Thanks so much Caroline! I will get to it, but for now I must get off this and get my tax to the accountant for last year! Oh, and I just got some results from my doctor from 2 years ago, so I guess that's the first point to go off - here they are (I'll pop them in the labs section too I guess)

6-Apr-04 28-Jun-04 24-Jan-06 11-Nov-11 25-Nov-11
    aged 29 aged 29 aged 31 aged 36
    6 mth preg 8.5 mth preg 6 mth preg not preg

BLOOD COUNT
    Range
    Haemoglobin 131 135 123 133 g/L (115-165)
    Haematocrit 0.38 0.4 0.37 0.39 (0.35-0.47)
    RCC 3.9 4.3 3.7 4.2 10*12/L (3.9-5.6)
    MCV 97 93 98 94 fL (80-100)

WCC 9.5 8.7 7.7 4.7 10*9/L (3.5-12)
    Neutrophils 7 5.7 4.8 2.22 10*9/L (1.5-8)
    Lymphocytes 1.8 2 2.1 2 10*9/L (1.0-4.0)
    Monocytes 0.7 0.9 0.8 0.35 10*9/L (0-0.9)
    Eosinophils 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.06 10*9/L (0-0.6)
    Basophils 0 0 0 0.06 10*9/L (0-0.15)

Platelets 264 244 203 206 10*9/L (150-400)

CHOLESTEROL 11 Nov 2011 - not pregnant

Chol 5.3 mmol/L (3.9-5.5)
    Trigs 1.3 mmol/L (0.6-2.0)
    HDL 2.1 mmol/L (1.1-1.9)
    LDL 2.6 mmol/L (0.0-4.0)
    Tot Chol/HDL 2.5 (0-4.5)

THYROID FUNTION 11 Nov 2011 - not pregnant

TSH 1.6 mU/L (0.3-3.5)

ANAEMIA 11 Nov 2011 - not pregnant

Iron 19 umol/L (5-30)
    TIBC 84 umol/L (45-72)
    Trans Sat 23 % (20-55)
    Ferritin 20 (30-150)

OCCULT BLOOD in reference to above iron deficiency: 25 Nov 2011
    Occult Blood 1 negative
    Occult Blood 2 negative
    Occult Blood 3 negative

ROUTINE CHEMISTRY 11 Nov 2011 - not pregnant
    RANGE
    Sodium 138 mmol/L 135-145
    Potassium 4.4 mmol/L 3.5-5.5
    Chloride 102 mmol/L 95-110
    Bicarbonate 24 mmol/L 20-32
    Anion Gap 12 mmol/L 5-15
    Ca (Corr) 2.32 mmol/L 2.1-2.55
    Phosphate 1.2 mmol/L 0.8-1.5
    Urea 4.7 mmol/L 2.5-7
    Urate 0.3 mmol/L 0.15-0.4
    Creatinine 66 mmol/L 45-85
    eGFR 88 mmol/L >59
    Fast Glucose 4.8 mmol/L 3.6-6.0
    Total Protein 69 g/L 64-81
    Albumin 42 g/L 37-48
    Globulin 27 g/L 20-39
    T Bilirubin 8 umol/L 3-15
    ALP 42 U/L 20-105
    AST 20 U/L 10-35
    ALT 20 U/L 5-30
    GGT 7 U/L 5-35
    LDH 151 U/L 120-250
    Cholesterol 5.3 mmol/L 3.9-5.5
    Triglyceride 1.3 mmol/L 0.6-2.0
    Iron 19 umol/L 5-30
    Haemolysis Index 2 0-40

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Oh no! That doesn't look at all like I had it set out!! Maybe I can insert a table somehow

13. Sandra

Sandra New Member

trying again ...

Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 12.29.00 PM.jpg

14. Sandra

Sandra New Member

that failed too! bummer ...

15. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Nearly 1 week of BAB's down ... maybe 1-3 more weeks to go. A failed attempt at face dunking as I was unprepared :) will try again this week. A few blood tests back with a few more questions - that's always the way I guess. Still trying to finish the dreaded tax and BAS, but gee it's nice to have the kids back at school!!

16. Sandra

Sandra New Member

another face dunk attempt yesterday ... better than the last one :)

17. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Thought I'd add a mini timeline of events that might relate to some lab changes ...

Nov 2011 - first labs to go off ... while eating my 'normal' 37 year diet ... not overly bad I'd say, but still full of grains and dairy, though not a lot of sugar. Around June of 2011 I scared myself on the scales, and while I've never been overweight in my life, I was 69.9kgs ... and I swore I would no way be 70, so started to cut out snacking on junk then (so about 6 months before first labs)

pre-Oct 2012 - worked from home in our business, very flexible schedule, not a lot of computer time, lots of outside time in the veggie garden :), also walked at least 5 times a week ... not power-walking, about 6kms in an hour, and did some swimming

Oct 2013 - started an office job 3 days a week, in front of a computer all day. much less exercise :(

Jan 2013 - started eating Paleo but still included some dairy, and I was snacking (I know that's not good now!)

June, July, August 2013 - trip to Europe, stuck 95% to eating Paleo, walked a lot, lost 3kgs - down to sub 62kgs (though back to 65kg pretty quickly ... maybe exercise??)

Aug 2013 - changed pill to a lower dose on Dr's advice due to risks associated with cancer and clotting on the one I was taking for so long (considering ditching it altogether now)

Nov 2013 - installed home and work RO water system, and got a 10 gauss magnetico mattress. Love drinking the water, and drink 4-5 Litres a day, but can't say I feel any noticeable difference from the magnetico yet (after 3 months)

Jan 25, 2014 - started Leptin Reset

Soooo, maybe the big change in my BUN/Creatine ratio could be do do with working in an office, change of pill, or lack of exercise???

18. Sandra

Sandra New Member

More tests ordered last week ... Vit D, Vit B12, RF, ANA (ENA and DNA if applicable), ELFTs, Coeliac Screen, PCR and M/C/S

Still sticking to the BAB's - no desire to snack, and happy with 2 meals a day. Not really feeling any different to before but was also on pretty low carb and no sugar

No pill (Levlen) as of Friday and I'll be getting some hormone testing done in about 6-8 weeks time, but now I have a headache ... I never get headaches :(

The funny thing is that I haven't noticed my fingers sore since I stopped the pill ... is that weird?? It's only been a few days, and I can't say I specifically remembered to check my fingers when I woke up, but the fact that I didn't do something to hurt them makes me think that they might be improving.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The pill has its own major effects on the liver P 450. So when you are on it expect a slower rate of adaptation because the ratio of estrogen to progesterone will be off and this affects water balance.

20. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Thanks Dr Kruse - I'm certainly very interested to see the differences now that I have stopped the pill.