1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Salt

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by QiGuy1997, Dec 18, 2013.

1. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Something that I've been considering lately in my attempt to synthesize Dr. Kruse and Ray Peat is salt intake. This is something that Ray Peat speaks about extensively but Dr. Kruse hasn't seemed to address much. Common medical advice ad many paleo advocates say to limit or eliminate your salt intake. However, Ray Peat states that we should increase our salt intake substantially because it promotes energy production, reduces inflammation and adrenaline secretion, reduces activity of the sympathetic nervous system and promotes proper hydration. He also cites evidence showing that pure water causes a negative prolactin release in animals but salted water does not. Inspired by this idea, as well as research by Dr. Batmanghelidj, has inspired me to begin adding 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to all liquids I consume. Does anyone know Dr. Kruse's perspective on salt intake? Is 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of supplemental salt negative, as proposed by most paleo-ers or is it beneficial because of it's effects on stress, hydration, etc.? Can it be susd to promote more effective hydration than just RO water? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Salt is not the enemy.......the reason Peat tells people to eat salt is he fails to realize at its core it is a water problem......not a salt one. Gilbert Ling. 1952.

4. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

I second embs2001's idea. I have so many questions for you about Peat's work however I don't want to flood your forum with questions! I've been controlling myself. Back to the topic, however. Doesn't salt allow body to properly use water/potassium as shown by Dr. Batmanghelidj's work? So it seems like adding salt to water will help the body achieve proper hydration. If it truly is just a water problem and not related to salt at all, why is drinking pure water stressful eg. induces a release of prolactin and activation of sympathetic nervous system, plus it activating the aldosterone system which has a variety of negative effects. So it seems like eating supplemental salt is only beneficial. Are there negatives to it that lead to you not recommending it?

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Dr Kruse has pointed out the fact that the world's healthiest people ingest the most salt, as a rule.

6. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Oh. Hmm, I seem to have misinterpreted his comment about Peat, then?

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Salt is great for all of the minerals it contains, but the best thing it does is to encourage us to drink more water. :)

8. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Interestingly, that's still in conflict with Peat who says that drinking more pure water is harmful and stressful and will only cause aldosterone/adrenaline release along with prolactin rise.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^He assumes a lot when he says this.......because he does not realize the cell is quantized. Since he is a PHd and not a clinician maybe if he spent some time with a clinician he would learn what is published in a biochem book does not always happen in a human living.

Catalin likes this.