1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Rush (or otherwise interesting) song of day...

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by NeilBB, Nov 28, 2014.

1. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I love the solo in "Leave That Thing Alone" here a live version, solo at 2:20-3:00 in this. Badass chops all the way around in this clip....

Also, "Kid Gloves" has a solo that's technically crazy. Listen 2:32-3:05...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.
  2. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

How about a truth bomb from the police?

Shijin13 likes this.
  3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Damn @NeilBB you're bringing back my childhood.....

when you listen to this song.... and apply the lyrics to what Jack's teaching us.... profound...

NeilBB likes this.
  4. nicld

nicld Gold

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:I think I have done that too at 2 out of the 3 Rush concerts I went to the the DH. I appreciate Rush but not my type of music but one of the hubby's favorite bands but I really do like Time Stands Still.

NeilBB and Shijin13 like this.
  5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

nicld and NeilBB like this.
  6. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Here's the thing. Really good artists and musicians have a way of conveying what's really right and really wrong out there amazingly well a lot of the time, if you just look for it. They don't generally do it with facts and studies, of course. It's more of a right-brain approach, and its abstract, but it can be just as powerful if you are really in tune to it. Art has always been an instrument of social criticism and cultural change.

I've been posting all this stuff not just cause I like the music, but also because I think it's actually quite important.

Shijin13 likes this.
  7. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Well, in the old days the ratio of guys to girls at Rush concerts was about 10 to 1. Nowawadays, it's gotten close to 50/50. But I suppose that most of these women now attending may be asleep! Lol.

8. nicld

nicld Gold

Or they were there for the spouse/significant other :D But in my defense, I am pretty sure that I was working nights at the time.

I also feel asleep at a Jethro Tull outdoor concert but then I was working nights and had been running on very little sleep. Must have been that magic flute :p:p

NeilBB likes this.
  9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

true... this Cowboy Junkies song has always resonated with me.... we're all looking for that sanctuary

I sang this song to both Chaos and Havoc when they were babies. They still request it at night occasionally.

NeilBB likes this.
  10. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Did you ever see the Bring on the Night doc, recording the lead up to his solo debut performance? I watched it over and over in high school with my "garage band" buddies, and it filled us with inspiration on the risks of stepping out, defying expectations, following the music you believe is important and not what will be most successful.

11. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

In my opinion outcomes in life are neither totally random, nor totally controllable. Religious types think they have no control, so they sit around and pray all the time. Obsessive types try to control everything and are frustrated when bad luck thwarts them.

In truth, life is exactly like poker, a mixture of skill and luck. Good players win much more consistently than bad players. But on any given day you can draw a bad card and get busted, even when you do everything right. That's just life. In poker, when you do everything correctly and lose anyway, it's called a bad beat.

But there is another saying in poker tournament play. "All you need is a chip and a chair..." Translation: no matter how unlucky you've been in life/health, if you're not dead, you have the potential to improve significantly! But never any guarantees, of course. What other option is there but to try to win?

http://m.lvsun.com/news/2009/nov/11/chip-and-chair-axiom-proven-again/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Well said @NeilBB Love the poker analogy. when you get knocked down you've got to get back up otherwise you're roadkill. As I watch people struggle here on the forum.... the Knee Deep by Zac Brown & Jimmy Buffet keeps popping into my mind...

sometimes you've got to be willing to jump, change the environment you find yourself in, to help stack the deck in your favor. as a friend who has an amazing faith in God told me, sometimes you've gotta jump with out the parachute or the net and trust that you'll land on both feet. I think for many people (those here on the forum and those in my daily life) that's the hardest thing to embrace. trusting the Universe you're connected too will take care of all you need if you just follow your true north (that voice inside your head that's telling you you've gotta make the change even if you don't know where the change is going to take you).

here's the song Knee Deep

and lyrics http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/zacbrownband/kneedeep.html

NeilBB likes this.
  13. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

And the things that we fear, are a weapon to be held against us...
    And the knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them...

Another one of my favorite of Alex's solos--(4:20-5:12) @JoeBranca

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  14. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

How about some OK Computer...

Shijin13 likes this.
  15. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Ode to a fake plastic earth...

Shijin13 likes this.
  16. Inger

Inger Silver

Neil... I am just amazed by your taste
    your songs touches really deep

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@NeilBB Radiohead is a must in every collection.... and most of their good stuff never made it to the radio.....

have you heard Chrissy Heins cover of Creep.... awesome...

NeilBB likes this.
  18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

av8r and NeilBB like this.
  19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

then if we're talking covers.... best cover ever. Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails Hurt

av8r and NeilBB like this.
  20. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Totally agree. Best cover ever. (and amazing video) Even tops Hendrix cover of "All Along the Watchtower," which I thought would be impossible.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.