1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Rush (or otherwise interesting) song of day...

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by NeilBB, Nov 28, 2014.

1. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

My introduction to Rush was 1988/89. I was a freshman at a Catholic High School, and I didn't do too well with the attempted forcing of social conformity through dress codes and what not, which did nothing to alleviate the base cruelty of archetypal cliques raging strong (I didn't fit into the right groups). And my older brother, at that time he played for me two vinyl records, Moving Pictures and Signals (these were released during the end of his high school years).

It was a perfect entry point, first the sonic experience of hearing these sounds fresh on vinyl, and second that my bro took the time to walk me through the themes and meaning of every song. Talk about an active listening experience! The lyrics on many songs from those two albums put a little cohesion to that strange point in my young life. And the music instrumentally spoke quite clearly of individual freedom over against arbitrary conventions.

After that initial exposure, I went out with my allowance and bought two cassettes from Tower Records, purely based on which album covers spoke to me musically, which were the blue owl emerging from the snow (Fly By Night) and three crimson spheres suspended in space (Hold Your Fire). It took a while to wrap my head around this being the same band, but I was immersed in each album's own world.

2. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I was in 8th grade at a Catholic high school when Moving Pictures came out. I bought the vinyl then and played the grooves off of it. I had a friend at school who was a huge rushhead at the time. He introduced me to 2112, Fly by Night, Permanent Waves, etc, that same year. I went on to become an even bigger rushhead than he was. He is now a musician, plays bass in a band in Austin...

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I love hearing stories about how people come to music and how it resonates with them. I find it interesting how with both album covers and book jackets that the covers themselves can persuade us to buy things we wouldn't have considered before seeing it. Those covers and the music/words have a resounding impact upon us. I remember first coming upon Sommerset Maughanm's A Razors Edge and was COMPELLED to buy it. I read it in under 3hrs cover to cover. I also remember stumbling upon Talking Heads Little Creatures Album. I was 11 at the time, and it stayed in my "knock off" Walkman. The kids at school made fun of me for listening to crap as they called it... but damn that Album sent me on a spiral into Alternative/Modern Rock before it was cool. shortly there after I picked up the Violent Femmes Add it Up and I didn't look back. I remember when I about 7 I'd take out my mom's HAIR album from the musical - it was AWESOME. And I still have the Don McLean's American Pie Vinyl. The song that struck a chord with me was Vincent - and from there I dived in to the great artists..... its all connected... most don't see it...

WillTheHammer, NeilBB and MrPinkies like this.
  4. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

atypical rock drummer interview, lots of discussion about writing, life, history

NeilBB and Shijin13 like this.
  5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I suppose now wouldn't be the proper time to reveal that the only rock concert I ever fell asleep at was a Rush concert...

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

HAHAHA.... Sally. We all have our ares of enjoyment...

I am not someone who understands programming.... yet I know what I want computer programs and databases do for me...

7. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Lol. That's quite an achievement considering the noise, lights, and explosions... You must have had really bad seats...like in the parking lot!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.
  8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So I'm not ready for the Christmas season.... It takes me until Winter Solstice to get in the groove... but I'm trying to get in the mood a bit early. While not rush... you can never go wrong with the dropkick murphys

cantweight and NeilBB like this.
  9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yeah, I was surprised myself at the time. It was in 1978 I think, no explosions but quite loud. Our seats were off to the side, not on the main floor. Before the kids came around, I used to sleep incredibly soundly...

NeilBB likes this.
  10. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Well, their budget was a little smaller back then--light show was a lot more modest. But I still envy you being there then, awake or asleep. I have bootlegs from that tour--was raw and heavy! I didn't get to see them for first time until 1984 in New Orleans.

Okay, here's one of my favorites. Explores the unrelenting human need to fight over dogmas and "beliefs"...

Shijin13 likes this.
  11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

excellent choice this morning @NeilBB

NeilBB likes this.
  12. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

13. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Shijin13 likes this.
  14. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Alex's best solo? (outside of Limelight)

15. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Here's a change of pace today. Truth bomb from the world of comedy...

Shijin13 likes this.
  16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I missed 3 days of Rush..... in my forced seclusion from the intrawebz.... (Damn you work)

Nice selection gentlemen!!

NeilBB likes this.
  17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Where are the Comedians that call the ass hats on the carpet any more. no one does this any more. George and Sam - were effing awesome.... Now I need to go find some good old Sam Kinison

NeilBB likes this.
  18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Personally I've kinda been on a buffet tear...

NeilBB likes this.
  19. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Shijin13 likes this.
  20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

well played. well played. excellent choices....