1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Rocky's Journal and memories of now..

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Rocky, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Rocky

Rocky Silver

Love any input on this. I made the very difficult decision to have surgery on the Grade V Ac separation. It entails wearing an immobilizer sling for 4 weeks and being very careful. The procedure is called "Ac joint reconstruction with graft", and it is done arthroscopically.

I am really dreading going through this and don't to lose everything I've been working for.

After the first few days walking or stationary bike is permitted. I live alone so getting nutrition is going to be a chore for me.

I have been eating an appropriate protein diet with leaner meats, and fish and a few vegetables because I still need to lose more fat. With the reduced activity level I am wondering if I should keep my protein level the same (about 158 grams) as when I was fairly active or is it ok to reduce? All the while getting sunlight and water as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Rocky! my partner had shoulder/rotator cuff surgery 4 months ago. He is doing extraordinarily well. We rented an ice/compression machine for one month post surgery. His shoulder and arm were immobilised for 7 weeks. He was off pain meds in 3 days and has never looked back.

He would sit on our deck in the sunshine with the ice machine going.....30 minutes on and then 1 hour off. Also lots and lots of laying on the grass at sunrise.

I fed him lots of seafood and we used collagen a lot too.

Listen to your intuition. Eat if you are hungry and drink lots of good water. Eat the sun!

How is your pain level Rocky?

3. Rocky

Rocky Silver

Caroline,

Wow, 7 weeks is huge - and how is his recovery with PT? In my case you are not to take the immobilizer off until the end of the 4 week period. I swear I don't know how I'm going to do that or any of it.

I wish I had someone to feed me seafood and put the ice machine on me! They are too difficult to set up for one person to do on their own, and there is a good chance you can be injured if you are not paying attention from a frostbite like condition.

The pain is pretty much gone unless I do something wrong which makes me question doing the surgery. It is a Grade V which tend to get or need operated on.

It's very difficult to get clear answers on this unless you study the heck out of it. Tried to post a picture but it's not happening..

4. Rocky

Rocky Silver

View attachment upload_2017-7-30_19-31-13.png

I was able to attach a photo...

I forgot to mention the ER told me it was a Grade II, when I went to see the Ortho he took one look and said it is a Grade V. All the ligaments are torn and the clavicle is pushing into the muscle above.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Rocky - there must be something on youtube? I don't think you would get frostbite with an ice machine ....have you seen one?

Tony had to be fitted for the sleeve and it is very padded - the ice water flows thru the sleeve....and it is on a timer.

Tony's recovery is going really well- but he has worked very hard at his rehab. HIs arm and shoulder were completely immobilised for the 7 weeks. He couldn't drive [standard] for almost 3 months..

You are on your own I think? It would be so hard. Cutting your meat, putting on sox and shoes etc. etc.

Tony decided on surgery because the tear was on the outside edge of being repairable. The surgery is amazing - only one little mark left now.

6. Rocky

Rocky Silver

Hi Caroline,

I listened to the the whole presentation, for the quick uptake go to 4:43 minutes of this video.

Glad Tony is doing good in his recovery!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017