1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Robert S. Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Robert_S, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Stardate: 4/21/2015

Location: planet Earth, a decent sized rock hurling through space at 69,000 mph, going around and around and around in circles totally reliant on a giant ball of fiery gas/plasma for heat, light and life.

Background: Other than not being able to really walk or stand for any length of time (more than 20 - 30 minutes) and being in my mid 40's, I always thought I would break down in my 60's and 70's. Thought I could procrastinate the inevitable. I guess not.

My first back surgery was in 1988. I was 17. L4/L5 Laminectomy / Discectomy. Didn't help the pain. But destabilized my spine over the next 27 years.

My next and LAST ever back surgery was in 2013. By a neurosurgeon, no less. It was a 'simple' micro-discectomy. 4 mm incision, one probe, bada bing bada boom. In/out. Remove 20% of the L2/L3 disc impinging on the nerve, no problem. Or so they told me. Less than hour. Don't worry about reading the fine print. It's a piece of cake.

Well...not really. Instead I was left with nerve pain down to my knee that I didn't have BEFORE the surgery. I have never had so much pain as I did that night after that surgery. No worries, this happens sometimes, just come back in for a 'nerve block' shot. That helped for about a week. I spent over a year in PT, with 3 different PT's before they gave up on me.

What some doctors don't tell you about micro-discectomies is that while it is an 'outpatient' procedure these days, it still takes up to a YEAR (one revolution around the sun) to heal and in my case quite a bit more. Or potentially never. It's a coin-flip. Or worse, more pain than when you started or in completely different area.

So perhaps it is emotional healing and forgiveness that I need to practice. Perhaps that should be my health goal. Perhaps my total disillusionment of the medical model is really my core issue affecting my adrenals.

Or maybe it's being forced to participate in an affordable 'health' care model that seems fundamentally broken. And focuses on quick fixes instead of creating core health. And ironically in Virginia, we chose not to participate in expanded medicare, so many of us still don't get health insurance. But that might be the bright side of the story.

For example, the recommended food pyramid suggests that eating a ketogenic diet will pretty much kill you. From clogged arteries and/or acidosis. That's what one doctor told me. Literally.

But...but...I feel so much better eating a ketogenic diet?

Here are 2 studies. I find them a bit confusing. Cause they seem to be measuring the exact same thing and have 2 completely opposite conclusions:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24380692
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25855687

And this is medical SCIENCE? Did I miss something? Did I mis-interpret the results?

Quackery is beginning to look better and better to me, all the damn time! With the exception of emergency medicine. And even then, I wonder. Maybe I can avoid that path altogether.

Anyway, so this is my journal and my journey. Day 1 or 16,425 depending on your point of view.

I do suffer from bouts of keto-mania, particularly in the evening when the cortisol winds down. Or up. I can't tell these days. So if this journal is ever less than coherent, then it could either be the distortions in the electromagnetic field of my brain or perhaps some unpaired electrons floating around in the ionosphere.

Be well.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Always keep in mind .... the three legged stool - water, sun, magnetism.

What water are you drinking?
    Are you outside and grounding?
    No fake lites after sunset....
    Seafood, seafood, seafood!!!

How is your sleep? Does your house have a smart meter?
    All electronics out of your bedroom?????
    Do you leave at least four hours after eating and before bed?

As JK has been known to say .... give crazy a chance!

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why do two studies have different results? Should be obvious if your reading this series on ubiquitination closely: "Well-controlled studies" will not mesh and give similar results because without control of the environment, especially in nutrition studies, ubiquitin rates are never controlled for. Two environments will yield two opposite results quite easily. This is why I dont believe any nutritional studies. I made the point about CRON data and why I knew modern CRON data will never match the one's done in the 1930's. 2015 does not equal 1930. And it gets even worse. Harvard labs dont equal Oxford's labs, and mice dont equal men..........the way science is done is a joke when you understand what an uncoupled system really means.

4. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

That's why I am here. Cause I have come to similar conclusions over the last couple decades. You are preaching to the choir. Most of the time. But I like it. Haha.

I honestly meant no disrespect in any of my posts to you personally. It's hard to convey tone of voice in an email. Let alone lack of visual. 55/38/7 (Visual/tone/words). They left out touch in that British nonverbal study. I guess that's forgivable.

And out of my many faults, blatant honesty is one of them. Almost to a fault. Sound familiar? Haha.

Thanks for the chat, but my circadian clock on the wall says it time to power down for the evening and recharge my batteries.

I hope that it turns out Dr. Jack, that I will owe you a debt of gratitude for helping me/us to remember the part of us that is innately earth-bound.

5. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Great introduction for a SciFi novel. I like your writing style ;)

6. Martin

Martin Gold

I'm going to steal your "Nature Deficiency Syndrome" and claim I came up with it. What else ya got?

Re: Quackery There's a lot out there, but if it gets attacked by established Medicine, I tend to take a closer look at it cuz SO many things in "medicine" are being revealed as false.

That's what this place is doing. Five years ago i got very ill and no one had answers except to claim it was all
    in my f***ing head. I knew I had to follow Nature to get well, and that quest led me to Dr Kruse.

Welcome.

7. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Thanks. The funny part of that sci-fi novel is that it's a true story. Haha.

The thing I like about this site is that...it's a different way of looking at things. Both macro and micro.

I totally agree, it's insanity to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. At some point, gaining perspective on the situation seems worthwhile. Let's look at the bigger picture, sort of thing.

I'm dumb enough, or naïve enough, or smart enough to actually try this stuff out in my own life. And then judge by the results I'm getting based my own experience. So I'm glad to see others here doing the same thing.

I'm also making an effort to trust myself more and more. To trust intuition which has been almost beat out of us in the name of science and deferring to experts.

Lately, I've begun to meditate more. And getting into the stillness, the quietness of ourselves, inside, also seems to be good for the adrenals. Turning off the blue light / computer / TV helps encourage that process ;) Somehow I have more time and energy on my hands? Huh? How'd that happen? Might as well meditate and just let go and be. That seems natural.

So I've been in/out of ketosis for the last 5 years. On a totally ketogenic diet, I had lost 80 lbs (about 5 years ago). I kept most of it off during that time. I used to be a body worker. Then I got totally burned out and started doing computer work to earn a living. Decreased mobility, lots of blue light and lots of stress.

After a few years of that, I could barely walk. I could no longer mange the post-laminectomy instability which I had been managing for 25 years, somewhat successfully. But that eventually gave way. And so I opted for a 'minimally invasive' surgery to help get me back on my feet. I thought enough time had gone by and the technology was sufficiently adequate to be helpful this time. It was a gamble on my part. Given an estimated 85%-95% chance of making a full recovery by the expert. I had another back surgery.

Unfortunately I couldn't stand long enough to actually cook meals (for a long time after that last surgery), so I went off the reservation for a while. And ate whatever was easiest. It didn't matter to me. Avoid the pain and buy time. That was my goal. So I gained back some of the weight, which is now rapidly coming off.

So I knew the value of ketosis. For me that was a major piece. But I knew I was still missing a few more pieces.

In January of this year, I had a nasty sinus infection. I was eating a total SAD diet. And went and got some antibiotics. Which I would typically avoid like the plague.

But I took levaquin for 10 days. And the very first dose of levaquin, it felt like a long-time depression had lifted. And I started feeling better than I had felt in a LONG time. Like a decade long. It was kinda like coming out of a deep, dark depressing haze. The fog started to clear. And it helped with the inflammation.

So in February I began reading about DHA, Uridine and Choline on the Longecity website. I was back in ketosis by then. And starting to feel better. Uridine is 'interesting'. Kinda like playing with a box of matches. For me, it seemed incredibly healing. I still wonder about it. Is this stuff too good to be true?

About a week later, I took the fish oil & the uridine and it was like a switch went off in my brain. Primed to burn fat for fuel (ketosis), had an ignition switch (Uridine) and the fish oil totally rocked! More inflammation went down.

The combination of DHA and ketosis is powerful. Tremendously healing. And for me, the uridine seemed to enhance the effects of the fish oil. In a really good way. I still can't recommend it, because I don't know what the long term effects are, but I was willing to throw caution to the wind.

Then a month later, I ran into Jack Kruses' site and he was saying that a ketogenic diet, DHA & circadian is the way to go.

And that matched my own experience to the tee.

For as long as I can remember, my thing has been going out to the state park or to a local wildlife refuge frequently to walk. And an old girlfriend, who just happened to be a clinical psychologist, and I used to always take walks out there (wide open, lots of sunlight, no artificial EM fields). And I called it Vitamin N - she suggested that people could be suffering from Nature Deficit Disorder (NDD) OR Nature Deficiency Syndrome (NDS). It's genetic, I hear.

So putting the three together has been tremendously helpful. And it's only been a couple months, now. I highly doubt it's just a coincidence that all this has been timed with the arrival of Spring in the northern hemisphere.

I might not understand all the terminology, the vocabulary, the words used on this site, but I understand the basic concept(s). And more than that, I'm willing to try it and see how well it works for me.

So that's my story, in a nutshell and I'm sticking to it.

Going forward, it ought to an interesting ride at the very least....

caroline and fitness@home like this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

As this current series goes on you're going to see just how right your intuition is

Robert_S likes this.
  9. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Thanks everyone. Glad to be hear. Looking forward to it.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. av8r

av8r New Member

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yep

av8r likes this.
  13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Welcome, Robert_S! I had some fairly bad back issues. You need seafood, Seafood, SEAFOOD!
    Sunshine and awesome water also help me a lot.

Can you post a pic for your avatar? Or is that the wrong movie? ;-)

Robert_S likes this.
  14. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Interesting link on caffeine and the wake-sleep cycle

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0501/feature1/

I like caffeine, recreationally. But I feel much better without it overall.

My Dad is 82 and drinks coffee every day, uses the microwave to heat food and watches TV all day long.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  15. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Seafood? It could be unmanly to say this...but I am NOT a fan of raw oysters.

Raw Salmon Sashimi - Absolutely. Even though we (US) freeze it first (to kill parasites/worms). Thankfully.

I guess soy sauce is out? Organic soy sauce? Haha.

16. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

The more you eat raw oysters, the more you will crave. Start with baked or grilled and work way up.

This stuff beats the crap out of soy sauce...
    http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html

Robert_S likes this.
  17. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Thanks, I've seen the aminos, but never tried em.

I do live in a coastal town. But I'm from the midwest. So seafood was not grown up with.

Now I do have access to fresh seafood. Even though sustainability is questionable.

Do you guys shuck your own oysters?

18. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

You could use Tamari I think. It's Japanese soy without gluten. But it's still soy.

Robert_S likes this.
  19. Robert_S

Robert_S New Member

Lately I've been 'experimenting' on spiking my insulin level by eating ONE high carb meal about every 10 - 14 days.

And I heard Stephen Phinney (low carb doc), in an interview say that one day of eating high carb (US gov't recommendations), that it takes about a week to recover, ketogenic-ly speaking.

I had eaten a high carb meal Tuesday night. Consciously. Complete with MSG. And stayed up late. And it took me about 3 days to recover. To start getting the 'keto-clarity' back.

I was back in ketosis in about 18-20 hours (ketostix). But it took me a couple days to recover fully.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

Try litely grilling fresh oysters and add a little melted butter and a small shaving of parmesan cheese - very yummy!

Martin likes this.