1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Reverse or slow progression of Alzheimer's?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by AnnieW, Jan 14, 2014.

1. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Hi friends,

We just lost my grandfather to Parkinson's in July. Now my almost 83 year old grandmother might possibly be in the early stages of Alzheimer's. The doctor wasn't clear and it's obvious we need a second opinion. I was wondering what, if anything, could be done to reverse or slow the progression if she is officially diagnosed? She is diabetic and has high blood pressure, plus she takes pain medicine for a back condition. She is not very active because of her back and leg issues. She told me today she wakes up and her hands are numb or a few hours. I just want to help her the best I can.

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I have read that adding coconut oil to the diet is helpful to those with Alzheimer's. Try Googling it for more information.

3. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Annie...any improvements in activity, diet and environment could help...perhaps go back through the blogs with the key word of Alzheimers and see what Dr. K has mentioned over the past two years. Particularly some of the supplements which might be an easy place to start before suggesting bigger changes. Best of luck.

4. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thank you both for your replies. I've just started reading about coconut and MCT oils and how beneficial they can be for Alzheimer's. I'm also sloooooowly making my way through the blogs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to hear more if anyone has them!

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Have a look at Ricardo's posts....

7. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thanks Caroline!

Also, thanks nonchalant for linking to that blog post. I spent the better part of last night trying to understand the different blogs. I should have gone into the medical field instead of earth sciences (but this site has helped me learn that the two fields are very related!).

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

No, if you had gone into the medical field, you would quickly dismiss everything on this website, and prepared for your lunch with the drug co. rep.

Lite Nomad likes this.
  9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Did you find Ricardo's posts okay?

10. Jude

Jude Gold

One small thing to note is coconut oil can tend to give older folk diarrhea....know of friends who started their mum, a 90yo, on a tablespoon daily with that result. She was in a nursing home and the staff then banned it! Start slowly!

11. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Yes I found his posts Caroline, thanks for the suggestion. He has lots of knowledge so I will be following him. I am looking at ordering some MCT oil soon. My grandmother has LOTS of GI issues. I will be sure to tell my mother to start her slowly and add some into her tea maybe a teaspoonful at a time. Coconut oil even gives me diarrhea and I'm 31.

You know, I "fell off the wagon" a few months back, after losing 16 lbs in two weeks (what the hell???). I feel like total $hit. Nothing in life is ever a coincidence I think. I have been thinking about the way I have been living lately and if I keep it up I may not make it to 40. I think...are there limits? Is 350 lbs not enough? Back on the path to optimal for me. I made a deal with my grandma that she couldn't die until long after I have my first baby (that was when she almost died two years ago). I have been trying for three years with no luck. It's the weight and the PCOS and the massive block in my brain that is keeping me from being optimal. And of course, everyone around me is pregnant right now. Sometimes it bothers me but sometimes it doesn't because I know how horrible my health is. It would be very unjust and unfair for me to put myself or a baby through an obese pregnancy. Again, no coincidence. Anyway, I think God is saying to me...you are sucking right now and need to change. So I need to not just listen, but act on it. My poor grandparents' health was just so awful with both of them having diabetes and my grandfather suffering from Parkinson's for ten years, and now my grandma and her "possible" Alzheimer's. I just am feeling this pull again toward optimal and I need to go with it before my life passes me by and I have nothing left but health problems and empty arms.

Anyway, sorry for the side rant. Thanks for being a great community guys!

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Annie - Dr. Tim talked about becoming pregnant while being suboptimal. It really struck with me.

He said you are subjecting your child to a horrible childhood of poor health [or even much worse] and not being able to enjoy their childhood.

Dr. K. has said several times - that, as much as it pained him, he has had to tell patients during a consult that they shoudn't be having kids. very painful to hear I am sure.
    He has also talked of the stats of having an autistic child - seemingly simple things like having to go into hospital with the flu during your third trimester....etc. - really stacks the deck against you.
    Dr. K. told us of a very good friend of his who he had to tell that to and they didn't listen and the nightmare of their life.

This is totally none of my business - but have you thought of adopting and giving yourself and your grandma the gift of a gorgeous health baby that needs you...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  13. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Yes I'm terrified of autism too. I know there is help out there for autistic children, but if me being suboptimal increases the risk of having a child who develops it of course I'm going to do whatever I can to prevent it from happening.

We are definitely open to adoption. The problem is that our finances are suboptimal too, but we are working on that as well. :)

My endocrinologist says I'm "just a kid" and that I still have time to conceive if I can get down to 200 lbs. I feel like PCOS is fighting against my clock though.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Annie - when you have time read Mr. Pinkies journal....

Have you read dr. K' s stuff on autism? There is also a webinar on women and fat loss.....

15. CoolSwede

CoolSwede New Member

Many elderly people have very low levels of B12 due to malnutrition, and B12 deficiency can mimic dementia and Alzheimer's. Just my 2 cents...

Edit:
    Tingling and numbness are MAJOR symptoms of B12 deficiency!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEizypoyO0

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  16. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Hi Caroline,

I have read Quantum Autism and it really opened my eyes. I have read MrPinkies' journal and I admire her so much for not only her personal weight loss success but how she has used the information on this site to help her family. I must have missed the fat loss webinar so I will look that one up today.

CoolSwede, thanks so much for that link. I would not be surprised if she is B12 deficient. Her diet has gotten better since living with my mom, but it still needs a lot of work.

17. Andrés

Andrés New Member

Not completely independent, there has been a clinical trial where they have stopped progression of dementia in those with high blood homocysteine levels with some high dose vitamin Bs regimen commented by Dr. Kendrick, Dr. Briffa and AHN-Europe.