1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Restless legs and bad sleep after 10km run

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Ben1983, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

I normally don't run long distances, in fact I hadn't been for a long run for about a year and a half. Instead, I've been following Dr Doug McGuffs training philosophy of slow, heavy repetitions at the gym once a week. Anyway, I had the urge the other day to go for a run, so I gave into it and ran 10km. I ran solidly but didn't feel like I was pushing myself to an extreme level. However, shortly after the run I felt quite dizzy, and still felt dizzy the next day with headaches also. It's now been 4 days since that run and every night since then I have slept terribly....I toss and turn constantly and my legs feel very restless when in bed. I took an Epsom salt bath on day one and two after the run but it hasn't seemed to have helped. I also have been taking my usual vitamins which include calcium, magnesium and trace minerals (perhaps I just need to up the dose). Anyway, does anyone have any idea as to why I'm feeling like this after the run and what I can do to go back to sleeping well again?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Because your mitochondria are not prepared for it. OSF #8 lays that out. Read it.

jwhb77, jenaf, Josh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

Cheers, jack. I'll have a read.

4. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

Also, have you got any advice that would help get rid of restless legs in the meantime?

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

its a sign of blue light toxicity.

6. michellewise

michellewise New Member

For years I had restless legs at night after vigorous exercise. It would drive me crazy. I have recently realized that it is electrolyte depletion. This was such a great discovery for me! Try sodium and potassium!

7. Psyche

Psyche New Member

I have had issues with restless leg in the past, and it's always been a mystery to me. I am now more inclined to consider blue light toxicity. ESPECIALLY because of this very strange thing that happened to me in my house a while ago. Whenever I sat on the couch in my living room and turned on the TV, I experienced restless leg within MINUTES. It would freak me out. If I moved away and sat on the floor, to the side of the TV, it would go away.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I've experienced something similar, and it was a cell phone inside an automobile that was the culprit.

9. Freddieboy

Freddieboy New Member

How much sodium and potassium do you suggest?
    I've had restless legs for 15 years, it's recently moved to my arms as well.
    It's getting really bad lately, I'm at my wits end with it, can't cope on so little sleep.

I've always believed sodium to be a trigger for my restless legs, so have been on a low sodium diet for years.
    I have experimented with higher sodium, and always seemed to make matters worse.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@DrEttinger <<---(Hi is highly into sports)
    https://www.advancedhealing.com
    No Obligation, 15 Minute, Phone Consultation*

upload_2020-4-29_12-6-33.png

11. Freddieboy

Freddieboy New Member

Many thanks JanSz, I've taken a quick look at his site, some good stuff to digest!

I am at similar quantities of Potassium per day, though I use citrate and not bicarbonate.
    I take oral magnesium and 500mg og mag glycinate at night.
    As for salt, I don't add any, as I said in previous post, I always believed salt triggered my restless legs, so am on a very low salt diet.