1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Resistance Training while following the Epi-Paleo RX

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by wardog0351, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Sean Waters and Josh like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Hypoxia = low O2, decrease magnetic sense and ECT on mitochondria = altered serotonin and dopamine levels in the frontal lobes = NT release tied to calcium efflux=calcium controls voltage gated channels, NMDA, and glutamate excitotoxicity= altered perceptions of reality and depression/anxiety. You need a tight tensegrity system in cells and in mitochondria circa Tensegrity 1.

Medicine and ancestral health knowledge firmly is entrenched and operates in a Newtonian/observation world.........life is built in a cell using metastability of the second law of thermodynamics which is statistical and not absolute. Life works at this edge between thermodynamics and the subatomic world. Below this edge is all the quantum mechanisms that hurt people's heads........but are built into your mitochondria by evolutionary design just as chlorophyll is built into the 39 steps of photosynthesis.
    The more disconnected your mind is from the natural environmental light and magnetic effects that are formalized in circadian signaling, the more altered your perceptions of reality become. If you're well connected to nature, inflammation levels are low and your body acts in coherent fashion. In this state, you create thoughts and intuitions of what life looks like and feels like is acceptable for you. Conversely in sickness, the opposite happens and the minds thoughts become disconnected from the operations in your cells. The irony most are unaware of is that the body doesn’t give a hoot what you think about this process; it goes on about the business of survival. All of our goal's in life should be to learn what we need to know to coherently link our thoughts to how our mitochondria fundamentally work in quantum fashion. When we do, we begin to realize that our body conforms to what our mind thinks is optimal based upon the conditions we allow. Once we learn who the master of our body really is, then and only then will we come to know how the quantum world manifests in everyday life. This is why mental illness shows up in these states.
    The 3 layers to how life organizes that parallel the 3 legged stool, light, magnetism, and water chemistry. I recently spoke about this topic in Pasadena, California. That concept of thermodynamic being, statistical, should stop you dead in your thought process and ask why would nature work at this edge? Why would nature use statistical laws for heat and motion? The answer is pretty simple. Because the next level is where the cornerstones of life are built and all work by PROBABILITIES. Quantum computers work based upon massive amounts of probabilities naturally which is why they work as fast as reality. This is much like your brain works, with all of its mitochondria to work at a scale most can't fathom using mechanism most don't understand using tremendous amounts of possibilities to solve problem's life faces in femtoseconds to make our reality appear that it happens instantaneously........and that level is dominated by the quantum mechanisms that most people have a hard time understanding and accepting.

Today modern research is still uncovering more insights in the thermodynamic realm that have subatomic processes that explain. How enzymes improve biochemical rates is one such example.

Mystic Rose60 and Sean Waters like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Here is the real thought provoking thought..........These states have the highest health metrics yet suicide is highest there. Ask Why? They are all elevated into the ionosphere, yet all these people tend ot exercise more than the rest of the US. We know exercise, the increases BDNF proteins in your brain acts as a mood enhancer. This should really make you stop and wonder why these results are happening. It points to an environmental trigger that many want to avoid talking about in their own health problems. Where you live and what you allow in your environment is a BIG DEAL.

BDNF increase neurons sprouting and growth but the circuit has to be pruned by the effects of melatonin at night during autophagy. The effects of BDNF are similar to drug addiction in several studies. So when you start exercising, the feeling of euphoria is the highest and it goes down. BDNF and endorphins are supposed to be yoked in their release but when you have calcium efflux it is not yoked by circadian signals. What protein controls this timing? Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase type II.
    Today neurologic research shows the release of endorphins has an addictive effect, and more exercise is needed to achieve the same level of euphoria over time. This is why LDN is successful in AF, poor sleep, and in autoimmunity because endorphins are missing from the brain growing effects of BDNF.
    So this means that if you have never exercised before or not for a long time, your happiness gains will be the highest if you start when you circadian signaling is back to normal. This is why the Leptin Rx tells you to hold off exercise until your redox state improves.......if you dont you might be a good looking hard body cross-fitter who kills themselves even though you live in a great place........it points our why your personal thunderstorm/zip code is the most critical missing link for most people.

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I'm going to bring up an old post by Barry in the 'Fasted State Training Adaptations' thread -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/fasted-state-training-adaptations.297/page-3#post-28255

Some of the conclusions (though I would encourage anyone to read the entire post, and if possible, the entire thread :eek:):

If you read all of Jacks blogs (a tough task I know!!), you will see that practically every adaptation he talks about related to the cold occurs via fasted state endurance training.

Fasted State Training is the master upregulator of fat adaptation.

Cold Therapy is like FST in terms of fat adaptation and has other benefits but potentially not for athletes.​

What I'm thinking is that the right type of exercise can up-regulate O2 assimilation capacity, so that even in a relatively hypoxic environment, your average mitochondrial O2 levels are high enough.

I actually suspect that endurance exercise, with brief anaerobic efforts, is the best way to achieve this.

I have been very curious about endurance exercise, because it obviously turns into a massive electron sink for those who are not optimal, but seems to be a great enhancer for those who are capable of using it effectively.

The interesting question on my part (and given my collagen issues) is: When and How do I know that I can utilise endurance exercise effectively? The answer will come when I understand how collagen is structured and maintained, and how mitochondrial fit into that particular equation.

I have to acknowledge Barry's success with endurance training:

He usually performs endurance exercise in the morning in a fasted state. He usually does not do this immediately upon waking (so his collagen does have some time to tighten up). He has managed to race at insane hours. Example of race which started at 12 midnight, and where he was running for basically 8 hours -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...-training-adaptations.297/page-26#post-135063

The main question that I had to ask (and still don't have answers) is: What is the adaptation to endurance exercise?

Where is O2 needed? What are the mechanisms needed to deliver it? What happens when those mechanisms fail?

I have lots of jumbled thoughts, so let's just state my current conclusions and someone can tell me where I'm wrong:
    • Brain O2 delivery is what matters. Enough brain O2 ensures that the enzymatic

• Highly crossed-linked collagen does not need much extra energy input to function. Cross-linking produces electricity under mechanical load, which can feed into mitochondria, which can produce both the water as well as the heat to expand water EZ.

Some details were discussed in the 'Mitochondria produce water?' thread --- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/mitochondria-produce-water-hydration-by-exercise.9543/

What I'm not sure here is what happens to the protons. Does a higher proton concentration increase the likelihood of Proton Tunnelling? (important concept as described in the section below).

If higher proton concentration leads to more proton tunnelling, why have specific mechanisms to uncouple the proton gradient during exercise? Is it just there to generate extra IR heat? Or is the up-regulation and subsequent down-regulation of proton gradients important in the chemical cascade I describe below.

• Therefore if you have cross-linked collagen, your limiting factor is how much O2 you can deliver to your brain to maintain the enzymatic reactions need to maintain said cross-linked collagen. ie: your collagen structures actually don't need the O2

• Breakdown of the system occurs when some of the elements in the chain cannot keep up with collagen recycling. I strongly suspect that these limiting elements are the reducing molecules that are produced so well by the PPP (see H2O2 production note in section below). Not saying that the PPP is the only source of these reducing molecules, but it sure is efficient, and fits right into the first step needed for the fat-burning cascade that creates this self-sufficient system

----

Then I asked myself another question: what do higher rates of protein synthesis mean in the context of endurance exercise?

Higher protein synthesis obviously wasn't replacing the actual collagen proteins, so higher protein synthesis should probably refer to the ability to replenish the molecules needed for the enzymatic reactions needed to maintain collagen cross-links and overall collagen Tensegrity.

I asked a question to Jack in the Nov 2014 Q&A about autophagy specifically in collagen tissues, and he pointed me to Tautomers, Proton Tunnelling, and Lysyl Oxidase.

This paper was interesting to me 'Hydrogen tunnelling in enzyme-catalysed H-transfer reactions: flavoprotein and quinoprotein systems' -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1647315/

Talking about LOX

The key enzyme required for collagen synthesis is Lysyl Oxidase (LOX) (mentioned on the blog quite a few times) -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysyl_oxidase

Take a look at the LOX mechanism (image below) -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lox_mechanism.jpg

What we are looking for is the Allysine made from the State 3 to State 4 transition in the image below. Allysine is what forms the collagen cross linking that allows for it to be maximally piezoelectric.

State 4 to State 5 stands out, since it shows the O2 and Copper requirement in this cycle (collagen uses copper as a doping mechanism), and the Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) being produced is something that has to be "dealt with", since it is a strong oxidant that can be prone to form free radicals. (I don't know the significance yet, more info from Jack is always appreciated :))

State 2 to State 3 is interesting, because it is the rate-limiting step, and is limited by how quickly the C-H bond can be broken (curved arrow showing "switching" of the Nitrogen double bond). This is Proton (Hydrogen) Tunnelling, and was specifically discussed in the paper I linked above.

So essentially we're saying that your ability to form collagen cross links is limited by this Proton Tunnelling step ..... :confused:

OK. Now I need to know how this Proton Tunnelling works (need moar info from Jack! :p)

[​IMG]

----

Biohacking

With all that said, I am very tempted to biohack this train of thought by actually performing endurance exercise in a fasted state in the morning.

Where I am is pretty convenient too, since I can have a fun time biking from beach to beach, and then do some running on the beach while being grounded (free electrons to structure collagen :p)

I'll probably accumulate more info before I dive into that though.

wardog0351 likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh Gold

Most serious martial arts schools, especially internal ones train before and or at dawn in a fasted state. Often outside as well.

6. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Since i only can speak in simple words without maths and terms, i answer with my own style of life.

First of all, drop all ideas of what endurance is, for me it is the same lame method as counting calories. It is a system that today is under great errors.

Second, start to think in ideas like, what is needed for you to obtain a connection, a reconnection with nature. Drop ideas about competition or what others can do, it is up to you to slowly find what you are willing to do.

Third, if and this applies to most things we want to obtain. How much do you have on your to do list? To become a mover in nature you must be willing to give up one great illusion, comfort. You can not have the regular 9 to 5 work with stressful weekends.

Just like i started, being a simple guy with a great thirst, describing this is tough.

Some other things to think about.

A normal marathon happens in a town. You run disconnected on tar, strapping pulse meters to your chest, drinking bad chemicals, mixing yourself with a lot of crazy humans, you do a shitload of pasta at the party day before.

A normal ultra marathon happens in the mountains. You connect with nature. They ditch the clocks because time is no longer a factor (top racers for sure). You get to see sunrise, fresh morning air, springwater, others who cheer on you, everyone is quite friendly because they depend on each other...

A spinning class happens at the gym. Fake light, fake ideas, trainers who look like they are going to crash very soon. The guy next to you drools and will soon have a heart attack.

A mountainbike ride happens in nature. You pound legs hard, air flows thru you, up and down, speedy and scary but you feel alive.

The mind is one great problem to overcome, how do i do it? Filling myself, blending with nature. It is with Jacks, yours and others physics i can sense how i can do what i do now.

I use estethics as a rule. If it looks fucked up i avoid it, that is the normal above. I crave crazy and weird.

You must have a longing for moving, it can not be forced. If you apply things you do not have a passion about you only get stress, panic and you get failure.

Lot of rambling, sorry but this you ask about is what my whole living is about so i drool and get excited. Lets get back to reality...

- Load your system, all units with energy. Avoid all technology because they fail in nature. Stop planning and start doing.

- Get out. Walk slowly, admire what you see, sure some nice girls out there. Get up on a mountain top, sit there and think what your motion will be. Apply, try and think if it resonates with YOU.

- I am out for about four to eight hours each day. Walking, running, biking, climbing, diving, moving... The key is nature and as natural as possible.

- In nature time is not a measurement, it is we as humans that give it wrong meaning.

More to come, must think in nature to make it simple so words can describe what i sense.

7. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Do we have a weird illusion on what training is? Yes i think that.

For me, it is not about training. It is about the ability to live in nature, what do i need to fit in there, not in the world of media and society. We can use some people to give us clues, not system we must pay loads of money to fit. Doing in natural state, connected will always make more sense to me than standing strapped up in a machine...

Combining all into something moving thru nature is my own number one...

Strong:

Endurance:

Mental state and risk:

Water we are:

All of this is CONNECTION with NATURE.

Danco3636 and wardog0351 like this.
  8. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

And it fitting that this is the first thing I see after coming back from the beach :)

I'll try to add to what you have already said .....

In Jack's words, nature seeks metastability, which basically just means that a system can have multiple "points of rest", and can move between those points of rest -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastability

At a resting point, the system can be stable, and not be affected by this thing called time, until it is sufficiently disrupted to move to another (hopefully stable) state. I think that time can't move backward given the inevitable inefficiencies in nature, but sometimes it can stay still.

"Endurance" to me just means the ability to find those resting points. "Endurance exercise" just means having the ability to drive energy to tissues needed to do the work that you want, and then keep those tissues at that higher energy resting point (with no further input of energy in the ideal case).

Of course, the ideal case is impossible, since even the most efficient systems in nature are slightly inefficient. But having that natural connection is the closest to full efficiency that we're going to get.

Now the thing is, how do we know how far to push ourselves, especially when we're not yet at optimal? Your mitochondria get affected by changes within a millisecond. A person may have 4 hours to connect to nature, and feel great while out there, but then the next day they step back into their job at the Pentagon before fully recovering their tissues, and BOOM, collagen unwinds and chaos ensues ....

----

I am going to follow your cue and run out for a long walk tomorrow.

----

Total sidenote: I can't help but think of one of my favourite Japanese comics 'Mushishi' -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushishi .

The 'plot' section of the wikipedia article describes the series pretty well, which is about these primitive "manifestations of life" called 'Mushi' that have no consciousness, but dictate the progression of all life on Earth.

One chapter in particular that I was reminded about was about a dying Mountain God mushi, governor of a particular mountain. Our protagonist wandered onto the mountain during winter, but was trapped there by the mountain god. The god stopped spring from coming to the mountain, and then lured the protagonist into a marsh to steal the "essence of life" (Kouki) which the protagonist had on hand (as a Mushishi, which means "one who is knowledgeable about mushi"). The mountain god then playfully releases him after he has gotten his fill (and is no longer dying). The chapter ends with the protagonist finally realising the god's true intentions of letting him onto the mountain, while lying in a blooming field of spring time flowers, admiring the fact that the mountain is now completely back to life.

(this is chapter 37 for those interested. Titled 'Depths of Winter' 冬の底. An animated version was released this June -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mushishi_episodes#Mushi-Shi_-Next_Passage-)

Sometimes I feel like the mountain god, in need of the just the right amount of energy to come around, to get me back to the metastable state. I love eerie psychedelic fiction from a strange land that is strangely reminiscent of the ideas on this blog :p

9. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Also, it is not about gender...

Strong:

Endurance:

Mental state and risk:

Water we are:

All of this is CONNECTION with NATURE.

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  10. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

For sure, yes.

When i explore the mountains, i feel such calm and meaning, even though i run. Everything is finetuned and when i get to town, stress is upon me. Directly, after being out i feel more vivid than before, sure pain can be there but only in a good way, you know a growing sense of pain.

11. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Yes, wear and tear will always happen...

What i have felt is that that pressure on my systems makes me feel more alive. On a good trip i get a harmony, a rhyme with the environment. Touching rock, flowing thru pine tree forest, slipping into the green ocean... Home at last.

Wear and tear, modern style (crossfit), loving technology will break, break, break and tear but where is repair?

wardog0351 likes this.
  12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Heheh, the way to "repair" in the modern world is to eat lots of carbs and speed up time for your cells .... nature always has an alternative for those willing to pay the price :eek:

To strong people like yourself, stress is information that the body can use. To the weak, stress is just stress. :confused:

13. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I use only my gut feeling...

If i sense, exactly what you say about work here, that i loose my finest details, i have to solve it. I do not damp my feelings with pills or other things, i let the chaos in and make decisions.

When modern world gives me less brilliance i fight back with more nature.

When i get an itch, allergy, pain or something i let it be a warning. I go the other way no matter what, load up and try again... Avoiding things only will end up in what many feel with exactly allergy, panic. The key is to have strong currents in my unit to make good choices.

14. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

It is about feeling good only in the modern world.

They only want to have sunshine not the details... How many do not understand that we must have light in our lifes, even if the clouds cover the sun, it is there. Why do we only think that tanning happens in clear blue skies? Natural light load your skin no matter what, if you do not cover up.

Stress for me is flow... I can have many things going on BUT i compensate like crazy...

15. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

We must come to understand that the most important things about this is:

GET OUT and INTO NATURE.

What you do, just lie down on mossy rocks if you are really ill.

Are you feeling a little better, walk, touch trees, smell flowers, smell the snow.

But do not WAIT for summer only, we NEED it every single day.

Inger, Danco3636 and Da-mo like this.
  16. wardog0351

wardog0351 New Member

Thank you for the insight!

17. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Great insights in here.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Metastability means one thing = One foot of a cell must be in the thermodynamic world and the other straddles the quantum worlds.........what links them? Coherence or architecture of the the cell via size and shape.........Water is the straddle chemical that allows this? WATER

Sean Waters and Josh like this.
  19. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Rest itself needs to be deeply rehabbed and in doing so turns back our clocks: by re-establishing the archetypal postures that constitute natural rest points. Begin with those, and then understand movement as complex and coherent manipulation of shape from those positions, always respecting the underlying structure.

20. Butters

Butters New Member

Is this thread about exercise anyway?

I suggest Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Basically 3 Exercises per Workout 3 times a week for the beginner.

Personal experience: I do Starting Strength at my own version now for 2 month or so and I am perfectly fine with it. I eat pretty much ketogenic now and have no problems with the plans. Because you are basically working with 5 reps per set and take the rest you need your ATP is well replenished through creatin and fat. Your workout is done in 45-60min without rushing.