1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Reputable functional medicine educational course?

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by motivatedhealthseeker, Jul 15, 2015.

1. I wanted to get into functional medicine for a long time now. I have a medical background already so I wanted to know what would be a good reputable program to get into. I want to get into functional medicine to solve my own issues plus spread the knowledge to many others that are suffering . Jack you are the wisest with your teachings and I wish you taught a program that one could get certified in. :) I cant find a program that aligns with your train of thought.
    So far I see Institute for functional medicine, Academy of functional medicine and genomics. or FDN by Reed Davis. I dont agree fully with Institute for functional medicine nutritional info. Has anyone been through this or know what is a more reputable certification? I thought about naturopathy but not crazy about not being able to practice in every state fully. I am dying for more info as I see functional medicine as my passion but not sure which route would be most reputable and offer good solid valid info.
    Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Grmoline

Grmoline Gold

I'm certified as an FDN practitioner. I did the course in parallel with working my way through Jack's blogs, and it became less of a fit for me through that time because of all the pieces that were missing. There are some decent aspects of it, including access to some pretty good lab testing, especially if you are in the US (not so good if you are in the UK due to shipping costs and restrictions). But it is deeply linked to the Metabolic Typing Diet and very focused on the use of supplements for whatever the lab results turn up. It is possible to fold in some of the FDN approach if you get creative in application.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There is none in my opinion and I will be developing one in the future

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

right now I work with certain practitioners to teach them what I have learned on the fly.

RobH likes this.
  5. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

There's one university that is devoted to Quantum Biology & Functional Medicine. I posted about this a few days ago:

World Integrative Medicine Summit -

in person and online available. Looking for vendors (@Jack Kruse) who sell quantum healing devices - thought of Quantlet. Great place to show it off to the world. Over 50 speakers on all areas of health. Hope this helps.

October 5th to 11th, 2015

Contact Information

Creative Innovations in Health Care. It will feature some of the top minds and world-renowned speakers in the field of Integrative Medicine. Enjoy live broadcasts, videos on-demand, and many features of a live conference, including online chat rooms and attendee hangouts, virtual exhibitor booths, and lots of bonus media. Attendees can also enter and vote in our exclusive “Health Innovator” Speaker Competition. It’s a unique opportunity for innovative healthcare education.

WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO

• :D

Hosted by Dr. Paul Drouin, M.D.
    President and Founder of Quantum University

The only University to teach Quantum Biology - how physics & biology interact.

@motivatedhealthseeker

6. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

Quantum University - Quantum Context for Medicine

Quantum University is the world's largest institution of higher education to offer degrees in Alternative, Holistic, Natural, and Integrative Medicine.

www.iquim.org

7. RobH

RobH Gold

Rob eats more oysters (~9,894 to go to get my 10,000) = more DHA + drinks more better water + more sunlight + red light / IR at right times (IR all the time) = more CT = H2O2 in CT water = better energy efficiency = stops losing energy to environment = shrinks = gets smarter = better understands blog posts / forum = constant "BOOMing" sound in head = better understanding of quantum medicine and physics = finishes Pollack, Van Wijk, Becker, al-Khalili = cuts back EM shifts = more time to read and lie in sun = even smarter, healthier and smaller = feels even better = starts AMM practice in October = quits admin role = loves taking care of patients = applies quantum model to patients = quits EM altogether = better circadian biology = happier = better husband = happier wife = better father = better kids = happier family = wants to get more educated = wants to re and re read blogs = starts learning to apply Photomedicine to practice = starts photomed business = goes and follows Jack around in clinic = eats a lot more oysters = learns even more = offers to help put together scut work part of Kruse Functional Quantum Medicine Course = immerses himself in study all the time = buys Quantlet when available = moves = more seafood / DHA/Sun/better Magnetics = more CT = Optimal Life!

probably need a few more steps and sequence may change here and there but the path is getting clearer through the fog.... just bought 5 32 oz jars of oysters .... sardines to be for lunch today at work... in the sun if I can sneak out.

RobH

8. RobH

RobH Gold

I did the A4M (American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine) Fellowship in Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine -- it is now called the Fellowship in Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine. Great stuff, many of the lecturers cross over and lecture for IFM also, but it was just an introduction to some concepts of metabolism / hormones / nutrition but doesn't even really touch where Dr. Kruse has been / is going (as if I could guess where is is going!). Did have one lecturer by a functional neurologist that talked about "energy medicine" and light applied cutaneously could have huge effects ... that was a year and half ago and strangely grabbed my attention. They train pharmacists, and other practitioners, also, nothing like you learn here though.

RobH

caroline likes this.
  9. I just finished here in Europe the equivalent, which is the master of science in preventive medicine ( only master thesis left to finish).
    It's a good base to have, but does not cover even a quarter of what is taught here. Many of my course, practitioners from all kind of fields, are huge followers of JK, and we always had big fun discussing the latest blogs and its implications whenever we came together for the course.
    THANK YOU JACK for all the insight and effort. It's unique!!

Nathan and Optimalbound like this.
  10. So if there is going to be a JK course, we are happy to come....

11. Hi Grmoline
    Thank you so much for your insight! Yes the labs aspect was very inviting but not crazy about the heavy use of supplements. I still feel the supplements wont target the root cause of things. I want to get to the absolute core of it all. Sometimes I understand they are very helpful depending on the patient context. The other aspect that wasn't appealing was that it was all online. I personally would have preferred to do this in person so you can meet like minded people. The energy is completely different in person! There are certainly some advantages to this as well as the length of the program is not that long. I think it is a good base as you mentioned to fold in.

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@RobH things have gotten much clearer since returning from NOLA. the Universe/Nature has spoken... so I'm following it... I'm taking A&P and medical terminology this fall, along with a refresher in general chemistry to bring my c up to an a.

caroline likes this.
  13. That's great news Dr Kruse! When will it become available? Are we talking a year or sooner?

14. Rob thank you for this website and this valuable info! So I called them and supposedly you can do a Masters in this or you can just do the fist 8 modules to get fellowship. Which did you end up doing? I'm interested in endocrinology the most. They sent some info on the course objectives in endocrinology and it seems as if its mainly about identifying the issues but not much info given on treatment. I understand they have another module on BHRT etc which might be a bit more comprehensive. Would you do it over again if given the chance? Meaning was it worth it in your journey or just more basic info? I agree that Dr Kruse's info is very rooted and hard to find a program that will encompass his train of thought completely but I wanted to get into something soon that might at least have some overlapping info. Does anyone know where Dr Tim Jackson studied functional endocrinology?

15. RobH

RobH Gold

I just did the first 8 modules -- not the masters program (considered it and could add it on anytime). It would help to go into it with some knowledge and background as the information comes thick and fast and is very oriented towards clinical diagnosis and treatment, with a sprinkling of some of the latest research. Mostly oriented to physicians, but also pharmacists, PAs, NPs, RDs, etc. There is a tremendous amount of information on metabolic and and nutritional supplementation as an alternative to pharmaceuticals, and I took probably thousands of pages of notes (wish I could retain it all) but I know going forward the exposure that I got and the opportunity to learn all this will serve me in tremendous stead - will be reviewing it frequently moving forward. Once you're in the Fellowship you also have access to all the archives of the weekly webinars and they have new webinars going on all the time (one tonight for example) where you can interact with the "Professors".

There are some tremendous lecturers (very few not so good) but overall it was a great experience and I'm planning on maybe picking and choosing a few more modules in the future (although I'm pretty heavily (re)focused on the whole Quantum Biology paradigm (and making some major career changes) in the short term. There are recommended textbooks and lots and lots of good references. I really enjoy the A4M "World Congress" meeting too -- it is in Vegas in December and I had a great time talking to the exhibitors and seeing what is out there. There is a moderate amount of "woo" but there are folks there talking light therapy and magnetics and water, etc, in addition to a bunch of different labs / supplement manufacturers, practice development folks, etc. Understand it is a business and there are folks out there trying to make money ("The first casualty of supplement marketing is the truth" JK) so you have a to try to approach things with some skepticism, but there is some really cool stuff to learn about.

It was worth it to me because I am looking to make a big career transition (and yes, I have to make a living at this at some level 'cause I don't intend to keep doing what I'm doing much longer) and had NO background in that type of medicine (EM is very very different -- the only thing we learn about testosterone is that "acute testosterone poisoning" is associated with drunk 18-25 yo males doing stupid things on weekend nights (and thus needing the on-call neurosurgeon...) That's the black humor of an ER doc for you), and felt like having both a structured curriculum and a credential at the end would help me make the transition. Remember I currently live and work fully immersed in "The Matrix" where credentials and credibility hold some sway (rightly or wrongly) -- but will be moving out soon... I have an incredible amount of respect for those who can pick this stuff up and be dedicated enough to study it all (and put it all together) on their own (like the owner of this website), but it seemed to me when I made the decision to do it (inspired here and by what I am learning / seeing / my new beliefs) that getting some "formal" training and base level knowledge would be very valuable and help me to make the jump. Of course it was just a starting point and having gone through it nearly a year ago (and taken the board exam etc) but not having had (created) the change to practice it daily yet means I feel very rusty -- but I know it will come back quickly as I re-immerse myself. It's coming in the next few months though as things fall into place....

All that having been said, understand that what you learn about is hormones, supplements, and metabolism (the cardiovascular module was great for example, talked about mitochondrial physiology, but not from the quantum standpoint) and inflammation, etc, but you don't learn much about viewing the world through this quantum biology lens being built here. It is sort of "conventional alternative medicine" that looks to using supplements and lifestyle changes rather than pharmaceuticals, but there is discussion of various pharmaceuticals, etc. Of course, some of the lecturers also mention nnEMF and light effects on tissue and such, but really only scratched the surface -- little detail. I don't know that you'll find anyone teaching what Dr. Kruse is teaching out there...except Dr. Kruse. Lots of folks moving around the edges of it... but... what you're seeing here is I think one of a kind stuff right now. Hopefully it will become a lot more widespread (although not too widespread because I still want to be able to afford oysters!)

I also went through the Age Management Medicine Education Foundation Course (AMMEF), which is heavily sponsored by and oriented towards a certain large Age Management Medicine Practice (C*n*g*nics) -- not sure why I'm trying to hide that name. It was well done, well referenced, the primary instructor was tremendous but it had a much narrower and focused scope than the A4M Fellowship. It was really focused at BHRT, low-glycemic index diet, and research based exercise protocols. It was excellent for what it was, but I think if I had to choose one to do over it was would be the A4M course. Not a lot bad to say about either.

I looked hard at IFM but settled on A4M because it seemed to have a wider scope, and I have no regrets. Also the 4 day modules seemed to work better for me and I knew a few folks who had gone through their fellowship and recommended it.

If you can and you are in a position to do so, I think taking the A4M Endocrinology module at one of their really big meetings (biggest I think is Vegas but I think they do a spring/ summer one in Florida) would be worth your while. You could learn a lot, see what's out there, and get to see what the organization is about and decide if you want to do more. I did that then decided to finish the fellowship.

Final word -- A4M is definitely an organization that makes money by selling education. It isn't cheap, and they will always try to sell you more courses. The lecturers don't sell at all and I think they do a great job, but clearly the organization exists and profits from selling education. I don't begrudge them that as I think it has value. So if you do start the fellowship they will start offering you discount prices if you pay for several modules at a time -- don't be surprised... To me it was very worthwhile in the end and I would do it again. Decided not to spring for the master's at this time because I want to spend my time to take myself another direction (add what I learn here) and I think got a good base level of education out of the fellowship.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to know more -- happy to have a conversation about it (on phone even -- speakerphone anyway).

Best,

RobH

Optimalbound, SeaHorse and Jude like this.
  16. RobH

RobH Gold

Awesome....! Much clearer for me too! If I may ask, what are you headed for... ND, MD, PA, NP, etc? Or any of those? Not to say by any means that any or all of those are necessary to make a difference or a career in this exciting new field / world. Or do you know.... ?

I'm pretty sure you'll have no trouble with any of those courses -- you will crush them!

RobH

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@RobH thanks. I'm going to get a BSN/MSN (depending on school I get into) then move on to get an NP. @cantweight lent me her A&P books - so I'm reading those now.... trying to get through a chapter/week so when classes start - everything will be a refresher... and I'm looking forward to Chemistry... it should be tons of fun!!!

SeaHorse and Jude like this.
  18. RobH

RobH Gold

Out west here usually there is a requirement for RN to have a couple years of clinical work before they can go on to NP, whereas one can go right through PA school. The trade-off is that PAs don't have near the practice autonomy that NPs do and can't open their own practice. I'm sure you've got that all figured out and good for you. Seems like the challenge (if you have to deal with it) will be getting that practical nursing experience without causing too much damage (night shifts, etc.) On the other hand, seems like the demand for nurses (out here) anyway is strong enough you can probably find a decent day job for a while.

Good for you and good luck! I've got a few (shelves) of A&P / Biochem books, etc I'd be happy to send your way if needed.

RobH

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yeah... we've had 2 new hospitals open near me, and a 3rd being built. one of my neighbors has 2 medical practices and he's always looking for nurses - he's going to be my first application for a job, as well as several "Doc in the Boxes", as well as my PCP and an Endo - my Dentist is working with who's big on helping patients increase redox potential. I'll need 1 year of practice before I can apply for my NP.

I looked at PA and I've asked several docs (including family) both in the US and overseas which is better - the consensus was split. Though my overseas doc friends and military doc friends all said take the time and go the BSN/NP route - more applicability over seas where as PA is US only. If we ever decided to move over seas the BSN/NP will get more traction...

Right now I'll be applying to George Mason (my almamater for my Masters in public policy), Shenandoah, Marymount, Hopkins, Georgetown, George Washington, and Howard. Shenandoah and GW have veterans tracks I can apply for - and are separate applications process compared to the traditional BSN/MSN routes. Hopkins has eliminated their Accelerated BSN and only have an Accelerated MSN for those who already have a degree(s). So we'll see. I'll be taking A&P2 and Chem 112 in the spring, and Microbiology and Medical ethics in the Summer (I only have to take medical ethics for GMU - as my philosphy and ethics course from the Academy are accepted by every other school) and I'll probably re-take Stats/Probability to brush up on that subject in the fall... looking at either a spring 17 or Fall 17 enrollment.... I could do an earlier enrollment if I just take my C's in Chemistry and Statistics....

I'll take any books that will cut down on my over all costs!!!!!

20. Rob Wow! Thank you for taking time to write this very detailed answer. Hopefully there will enough oysters to go around. :)
    I was sent a preview of a course from module 1 endocrinology as I mentioned I needed to see if the info they were teaching aligned with what I wanted to learn.It was pretty good. Once I started it, I couldn't sleep until I finished it. I had 7 pages of notes form that alone. There were some aha moments like transdermal hormones have to be tested via saliva instead of serum post initiating supplementation. The saliva lab should have a reference value for PO and for transdermal as progesterone is saturated more in saliva receptors. Good to know I say! Some things can be controversial and people have different views. Its much easier to learn the right things from the beginning instead of having to unlearn and relearn.
    You really hit lot of questions or concerns I had about this program vs the IFM. There is a metabolic and functional approach to cardiovascular Dx module coming up in mid Aug in Vegas. Can one take the online course plus the in person seminars? Its good to know that there is continuous learning even after being a fellow. The person I spoke to was a bit pushy about getting personal email and phone number etc but then again they have to market their product and profit from it so I understand. Sometimes it can take away from the credibility but the module she sent was good so I'm really considering it. I have a lot of webinars to get through for Dr K as well. :)
    I would love to have a conversation further about it as any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Sending good karma your way and I hope things fall into place for you sooner than later!

Shijin13 likes this.