1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Relocating . . . needs vs. wants

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by BJK77, Oct 14, 2013.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

It’s beginning to look like we might have the opportunity to relocate to either the Carolinas or Florida in 12-18 months. I don’t want to go into details about the job, but it looks like we’ll be able to choose where we want to live. I know it’s still early, but we’ve been making a list of needs versus wants in our new home and location. I thought it would be great to get some input from all of you.
    Here’s what we’ve come up with so far:

NEEDS
    - Rural area with private well (We have this now and definitely think it’s a MUST)
    - Low EMF area – hoping a rural area will make this easy, but obviously we still need to look out for big power lines, cell phone towers, etc.
    - Lots of conifer trees to mitigate/block any unwanted EMF
    - Access to fresh seafood
    - Affordable land (We’re shooting for 5+ acres
    - Good soil so we have the ability to farm the land
    - Lots of sunlight . . . I NEED this

WANTS
    - Good homeschool opportunities
    - Within 1-1.5 hours from the ocean

What else can we add? Any suggestions on locations? At this point we’ve been doing some looking into Northern Florida, but really haven't done much research yet.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

BJ, it sounds like either state would be good choices, but Florida is closer to the crater, and it doesn't have income taxes. ;-)

3. Huck

Huck Silver

I live right on the VA/NC border and I find this is not enough sunlight for me (except during the summer). I'm hoping to move further south where I can get an additional 6-8 weeks of good sun each year. On the other hand, NC beaches are my favorite, but not really usable 12 months a year because of the wind and cold.

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Good points nc!!

I was worried about not getting enough sunlight in the Carolinas Huck. I'm glad you mentioned that. I did tell DH that I wouldn't go any further north than S. Carolina, but even that makes me wonder. This summer has been the BEST for me and I'm hating to see it come to an end. I forced myself outside for hours to soak up as much sunshine as possible and I just reaped the benefits. Of course, my cleaning, cooking, work and other responsibilities may have suffered a bit ;) It was truly an eye opener for me though that I desperately need the photoelectric effect for my health.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

BJ ...I think that you have it pretty well nailed...... you have a good head on your shoulders! What about your family? I remember that was a huge concern for you before.....

6. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

kjgraffin@yahoo.com New Member

Fireplace....
    Gas appliances not electric...
    Basement.....

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

these are all great but one thing is missing ACCESS TO FRESH WATER THAT ISN'T FLUORIDATED, preferably well water off a very deep aquifer or an RO system to make brackish or sea water drinkable

also iron in the soil to absorb emf as well.

8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Yes, my family was and is a huge concern for me, but I guess when you put your optimal brain to work thinking positive thoughts everything will work out in the end! Turns out my parents have decided they'll be ready to retire in two years and they're craving the sun as much as I am. We've pretty much made a pact that we'll go together. Of course we may have to go a little earlier than them depending on the timing of my job, but eventually they'll be with us :)

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am so happy that things are going in the right direction for you.... you have come a long way since that titanic thread....we all have!

Have your parents embraced any of this? I seem to remember that your sister lives across the street from you?

10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

You say you need the sun . You could do a calculation of how far you can go and still make vit D in winter by calculating the height of the sun solar elevation in the places you are considering in winter months. If it is over 50 degrees you still get Vit D in winter months. Here for example I have a gap of 5 months

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

1. Love
    2. Clean water
    3. Sea food
    4. Few people who use modern things.........with lots of conifers

That is the simple recipe.

12. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Love is definitely #1. People tend to forget that sometimes.

Lahelada, what is someone supposed to look for in that solar calculator? I'm confused.

13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

It is a way of calculating how long your actual "sun winter " is or the period where you cannot make vitamin d from the sun Take Miami FL for example . If you page through the month option on the calender to dec 2013 to 12.30 pm let´s say you will see the solar elevation as 43.44 degrees. It is below 50 so not enough to make vitamin D but your stores would probably eaily take you over that period . If you were to move to Minnesota you would have 8 months of sun winter as the sun is too low in the sky. I have not had the chance to look for the localities you mention but if you look up the latitude and longitude and then input them in the calculator you can personalise it
    Reason I specified it is that you mentioned that you NEED sun .For me that was tantamount to saying that you need the feelgood effect of vit D. Hope I got that right.