1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Reflux in 6 month old

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by kris90, Apr 12, 2018.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

Our son seems to have bad reflux. He's never been a good sleeper and we just recently started sleep training which is actually not going too bad.

At around the 5 month mark, we slowly introduced him to solids and he seemed to be ok, but after a few days he got a little bunged up so we gave him a little break to let him get it all out. Fast forward to recently and we tried again, but he could not keep the food down. It led to hours of vomiting until his stomach content completely emptied, and was spitting up a lot of stomach acid and some blood.

We've decided to hold off on solids for now and really focus on his circadian rhythm, because it seems he has no problems with spitting up during his 2 nightly feedings, but during the day he does. So I am thinking there is a circadian rhythm issue with his gastric cycle. He's not exposed to any artificial light whatsoever, but I admit we've been slacking a little with his AM sun exposure and I am beginning to reprioritize this. We've also propped his bed up to help with the reflux.

Any other tips to help our little man? He's a very happy baby especially during the day. Healthy weight, and very smiley, engaged, strong and really starting to grab things now.

2. Penny

Penny New Member

I usually send people with infants to this stuff:
    https://www.seekinghealth.com/probiota-infant-60-servings
    It works really well... I think a baby is supposed to have lots of bifida bacteria as I vaguely recall and this stuff supposedly mimics an infant's gut flora - but face it, we're probably missing hundreds of species by now in our modern world... bone broth would be a great move for a first food - you can add some probiotics to it - not too hot so it doesn't kill off the probiotics

Make sure you introduce food very slowly to give the gut flora time to change over - in fact, gelatin would be a great place to start - make your own though - I give my kids gelatin in every smoothie they get - it limits inflammation to the gut - ginger would be a great move too as it is a natural protease -

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    kris90 likes this.
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

Thanks I'll look into it.

Bone broth would be a great idea. I think I also still have some gelatin.

4. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

FWIW I had IV antibiotics with my second baby due to group b strep and as such I was super concerned about her microbiome. She was pukey and the first time I fed her solids at 5 months she screamed for hours - it was just too soon for her.

From when she was a few weeks old I got some soil based probiotics and mixed it in with breast milk and gave it to her in the plastic syringe before each feed. It really helped!

I'd say to just chill out and wait a few more weeks for any solids and to keep going with breast milk potentially with some probiotics. I stopped after a couple of months and she's great now. NEVER.STOPS.EATING.

You have my sympaties with the sleep training. Hardest time of my life = not kidding.

kris90 likes this.
  5. Penny

Penny New Member

You can get some natto powder and sprinkle it on his first foods also - that contains lots of bacillus subtillus - in fact, I'm currently culturing yogurt with the usual probiotics but I add a tsp of natto powder to it and it works - tastes a bit bizarre but I usually give it to my kids in a morning smoothie -

kris90 likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

reflux is a circadian defect

7. drezy

drezy Gold

I believe it. When I was 20 almost every time I stayed up past 3:30 AM I also regurgitated, but there may have been a couple more factors involved...

8. kris90

kris90 New Member

Jack that's exactly what I told my wife. She's starting to buy it too. He sees no artificial light whatsoever though or EMF. Just maybe a lack of sun.

Danco3636 and drezy like this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well GERD is usually tied to 06/03 issue from cell membrane breakdown that releases too much deuterium into the matrix in the esophagus/upper stomach as a result of circadian light mismatch that opens the sphincter of the LES and lets O2 in to simplify the flora and lets acid (H+) reflux out....O6= too much D in the UCP-2 region to ruin the matrix where it occurs in the body. Baby's rarely get enough sun on their abdomens so that is a hack in and of it itself..............so I would say think about salivary ASI and salivary melatonin to see if true........then back it up with DHEA and Vitamin D level to convince yourself.........GERD was in some of the older blogs. DHA is likely lacking in the kid, with a poor solar exposure, and likely momma's egg set the stage for the whole situation transgenerationally. Mom's ASI, D3, LDL, and DHEA levels would be a big tell I am right and Mom has a problem.

Penny and kris90 like this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. kris90

kris90 New Member

Wow I appreciate this. Gonna see what the labs say.

12. kris90

kris90 New Member

Wow read this, and it's pure gold: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/you-...-jack-kruse?trk=hp-feed-article-title-publish

Read it to my wife as well, and we were analysing her pregnancy. There were some definite mismatches: i.e. eating before sunrise, eating carbs throughout winter, lack of fasting, lack of sun on skin, wearing sunglasses, etc.

My son was born at 3:30 AM in the morning. I always thought that in itself was a mismatch. Our poor little man's circadian rhythm has probably been off for a while.

My new plan:
    -Only feed him when he actually acts hungry
    -As soon as he wakes up in the morning (which is usually close to sunrise), take him outdoors right away for fresh air & bright light, then feed him breakfast
    -Do the above after every nap (i.e. when he wakes, take him right outside for sun & grounding, then feed)
    -10 minutes of red light (660 nm) therapy on his gut 2x daily

Luckily the weather takes a turn next week and it will be nice and warm so we plan to get him naked in the sun. Hopefully we are on the right track.

brandie and drezy like this.
  13. kris90

kris90 New Member

Update:

WOW my family has been living like wild animals with this beautiful weather. Finally UV index between 6 and 8. We soaked it all up. My wife got a bit burned, my daughter has beautiful color, and my son's eczema is basically all cleared up. Everytime he wakes from a nap, we bring him right to the sun, and hold him while grounded. He's getting lots of AM sun as well as the UV. He is sleeping better, spitting up less, and I feel like we will be ready to try him on solids soon.

ScottishEmma and drezy like this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm really happy to hear all this. The news about the little guy is especially encouraging.

FWIW my digestive system = my skin for all observable purposes

kris90 likes this.
  15. kris90

kris90 New Member

Thanks! And yes true, when my skin gets better, I can usually handle carbs. Pretty cool how everything is connected.

drezy likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

@Brent Patrick rained down some truth over here:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/i-want-to-learn-everything.21208/#post-239786

For you and I "skin in the game", at least first order, means us but in the long run means our children and lineage.

With your children you have a nice chunk of time to set "this is what we do" habits.

My boy is 13 now and I can tell that I just barely squeaked these habits/lifestyle into his life. Keep the correct lottery numbers for all I care because this was way better luck. It's humbling being a parent and I wish the best for your family and your mom who looks too young to actually be your mom. Don't want to ruin it, but you were adopted dude...

kris90 likes this.
  17. kris90

kris90 New Member

Lol @drezy I enjoy your humor.

In all seriousness, yes, so glad it wasn't too late to embed this into our children's brains. My son especially being 6 months, but even my daughter. She's mastered light, water & magnetism before 4 years old. She is going to ROCK junior kindergarten...

drezy likes this.