1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Redecorating my room

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Evgeni, May 15, 2017.

1. Evgeni

Evgeni New Member

I will redecorate my room this summer and have to choose a color. Any ideas what color to choose for the walls in the place I spent most time when I am indoors ?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Red. Google Finsen and red rooms.......you'll learn why it is wise.

Brent Patrick, seanb4 and Lahelada like this.
  3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I just moved into a house with a burgundy bedroom. Too early to say anything definite as other factors are involved but I dream a lot more.

seanb4 likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

http://photobiology.info/HistFinsen/HistFinsen.html

It remained for two doctors in Bergen, Norway to sequester newly diagnosed smallpox patients for two weeks in "red rooms" to validate Finsen's hypothesis. Every patient emerged with no fever, free of blood poisoning and scarless! A similar report of success from Gothenburg, Sweden gained Finsen an international reputation and launched his career and the field of phototherapy.

--------------

How could light which could kill smallpox patients, cure lupus patients, they asked? Finsen persisted and arranged with the chief engineer of the electric light works for the use of a 25 amp D.C. carbon arc lamp. There, in the electric light plant, Finsen treated the lupus vulgaris of a Danish engineer named Mogensen who had been given up by countless doctors as untreatable. For two hours every day over the course of 4 months the treatment persisted. But at the end of that time, Mogensen emerged a cured man, causing an uproar in the medical community.

Alex97232 likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse
    Comments pls.
    Is this about povidone or iodine?
    Should we stay clear of Betadine??

Finsen had constrictive pericarditis.
    I found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/313149

An apparent postpericardiotomy syndrome preceded evidence of right heart failure in the other two patients. Etiologic considerations include the possibility that pericardial irrigation with povidone-iodine (Betadine) solution may have contributed to subsequent fibrosis.
    --------
    povidone [po´vĭ-dōn]
    a synthetic polymer used as a dispersing and suspending agent.

6. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I was intrigued enough to buy some burgundy bedding .... I think of it as a more sedating red than bright red, so was more intuitively drawn to it .... Haven't noticed much effect myself on dreaming, so I was interested in DH's response because he reckons he doesn't dream ....:rolleyes: It is definitely very very rare he remembers anything. I'm outside earlier in the morning but have taken to taking him in a drink later as he is waking up (opening the curtains does it if he's still dozing) and asking him about his dreams...... Night one, he woke up remembering his dream (He dreamed I was being annoying ...:rofl:). Night 2, didn't remember dreaming. Night 3, remembered he had been dreaming but couldn't remember the details. Night 4 (last night), remembered his dream.

7. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Night 5 and dream remembered by DH. Last night, night 6, we had a massive thunderstorm at 1 a.m. It kept DS2 awake, DH woke up and thought oh its a storm and went back to sleep, remembered his dream this morning. Me I slept right through it, and I'm usually pretty sensitive and it would wake me up, and keep me awake until the thunder had passed into the distance, even if the curtains blocked out the lightening flashes. Intrigued enough to have ordered a long, long sleeved 100% cotton kaftan in a deep red, description wine colour. Will see what my new pre-bedtime attire does. :D

Lahelada, caroline, Alex97232 and 2 others like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

we bought some purple/eggplant coloured sheets a few months ago when we came across an organic bedding place on our travels.
    I just put them on the bed 3 days ago after not using them for awhile - I am dreaming like crazy. I never connected it....... now I know better!

Sue-UK, Lahelada and Brent Patrick like this.
  9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Nights 7 and 8, DH remembered his dreams. I took him a cuppa at the usual time, but he was already awake and had opened the curtains. I was outside at 5.30 cloudbathing:D, so I'm now waiting to see if he starts waking up more in line with the dawn light cycle. New curtains now on my list. :)

ScottishEmma, caroline and seanb4 like this.
  10. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

DH still remembering his dreams. Seems to be waking a bit earlier. :) I've been separately trying to make a link between the colour yellow as a solar signal to the liver and had already found this picture.
    upload_2017-6-2_11-20-40.png

The text with the picture "Colour and brightness as indicators of time of day (A) Spectral irradiance of 'average' daylight measured when the sun is 6 deg above or below the horizon. Note that, in addition to the pronounced difference in the amount of light, there is also a substantial change in spectral composition, with reduced middle-wavelength ('green-yellow') light at negative solar angles. ..." (onto B etc which refer to mice). Possibly why the saturated burgundy bedding is better than the original much lighter plain green? :rolleyes:

I remember from one of the Alexander Wunsch videos that he said Finson's red room treatment was about subtraction of frequencies, which is why I was originally trying to find whether there were any subtractive differences were between sunrise and sunset, that might affect fat burning and signalling to the regenerative phase of sleep. :confused:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    seanb4 likes this.
  11. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Yesterday I’d had my first meal at lunchtime and was sat in the conservatory looking out at the pouring rain. I’d been trying to understand a paper on the mammalian circadian visual network at dawn and dusk but was tying my brain up in knots because it was mostly about mice, and I was trying to think in reverse for how it would be different in a diurnal mammal, brain waves, yellow on and off switches … then I was thinking about subtractive frequencies behind Finsen’s red room therapy. I got to a point where I had to stop, I was going round and round in circles …:eek: but going outside in the pouring rain wasn’t very appealing. I don’t sleep in the day unless I am sick. If I go to bed for a nap in the afternoon it doesn’t happen, I just relax or meditate for a bit then get up. Even after hours in the sun I don’t experience the early afternoon small spike in circadian sleep pressure. But having seen DH’s response just to the burgundy bedding (dreaming every night now), I had ordered some blackout burgundy curtains, which arrived on Friday, so decided to give a red room treatment a try. Yesterday afternoon not only did I sleep, but I dreamed. I also had no interest in eating later, the one meal was enough. Almost 24 hours before eating again. I’m hoping my mitochondria are thanking me. :D

caroline and seanb4 like this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Read my post on Dr. Jack kruse page from 6/5/17 at 9 AM

13. Theka

Theka Gold

I am interested in the responses to the various shades and tones of red. Blue-violet in burgundy versus the orange-red sunburnt coral colors. What about terracotta?

14. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I wouldn't use terracotta in a bedroom. I've got very pale cream walls, and with the burgundy curtains, which hang down in front of the window frame, there's a little "bleed" of natural light underneath from the hang, but as there's no artificial light pollution I don't worry about it. In the morning the "bleed" of natural light hits the cream wall and is yellow - orange, showing the a.m. crescendo of that end of the spectrum. The colours hitting the wall get brighter as time progresses. In the evening as the yellow-orange decrescendos, the bleed heads more to the blue-violet end of the spectrum, and it gets softer and dimmer as evening progresses, until eventually it is in darkness mode. So the burgundy gives me a different morning and evening signal, which I think helps keep my circadian cycle set, which I don't think I would get from terracotta. :)

15. Big@nt

Big@nt New Member

Hi Jack. What would you think is the best color of RED to use for the bedroom? I don't know which one to choose hahaha.