1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Red salt and Flouride

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by Martin, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Gagnrad : You said "There's a load of tosh about "natural fluoride" on that site: if the ions are present, it's simply irrelevant whether they added them or not."

I read not so recently that that naturally occurring fluor which iin water and by default salt is calcium fluoride which is hard for the body to absorb whereas the water one is sodium fluoride which is highly bioavailable.
    It would make choosing water a lot easier too knowing the answer to the above posters question.

2. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Gagnrad, thank you for this detailed and informative explanation. I have switched recently from Himalayan salt to Celtic one because of the fluoride concerns that I have. It is good to know that it is safe to go with Redmond's real salt as well.

I know exactly what you are saying about the toothpaste, though. I saw it at our Whole Foods store, liked the ingredients in it, but it was not for me…. Went back to Eco-Dent toothpowder, also not ideal….

3. Wurst23

Wurst23 New Member

Im from Austria too, will look around the stores if i come up with an alternative to himalayan pink

4. kovita

kovita Gold

nice to meet you, Wurst! It is great someone living near has interest in CT etc! I am not austrian, but I live in Vienna now.

5. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

There is a little misinformation in this thread. Make sure you have the facts before you start accusing well-meaning companies of poisoning you. They do NOT add fluoride to their salts. Most natural salts are naturally high in fluoride. They are not adding any chemical. That is why the fluoride is not listed in the ingredients, it is not an ingredient.Also, the red color has nothing to do with fluoride, it is the slight tinge given to the salt by the presence of iron salts in it. Some of the himalayan salts are high in fluoride but here is a response from the Originak Himalayan Salt company http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1111716

6. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Oh, dear. It seems a little important that we should be aware of that. Can you give direct quotes indicating precisely what and where?

Yes, fluoride is added to salt in some jurisdictions. Some 60% of salts in Germany have it, for example. Read the thread:

Then we have:

I don't believe that anyone in this thread did state that the pinkish colour that some salts have is due to fluoride. Again: quote please.

7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

There is a post on FB about comparing fluoride removal by Royal Berkey and Zero water filters. Here are the results: got a new TDS meter and the zero water is 0, Berkey is 64 and NYC tap is 44. Zero water wins. Berkey has a slightly metallic taste. Have yet to re-assemble the Berkey but will test when I do that. FYI, drinking water should ideally be below 50 ppm.

Then, after adding about 1/8th tsp Himalayan salt in 1 cup of (zero) water it read 1,920 ppm.

I love the taste of Himalayan salt, and I have a pretty good supply of it, but with this test I feel even more confident now that I've made the right decision about not using it anymore.

Gagnrad likes this.
  8. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

That is interesting, Tanya. Nice to try to quantify these things. Wonder if we've got access to these meters. I think you've got a few more nice toys Stateside. I've never even seen a ketone blood-meter in this county, which sounds interesting. Ah, well, can't afford too much of this gear anyway ...

I think I might have been prepared to believe that some of the fluoride salts in some of the table-salts around were relatively insoluble and might even pass through you. However, one that has been discussed around here in that context (calcium fluoride) seems to be added to municipal water for the purposes of deliberate fluoridation, so I'd have guessed it was unlikely to do that. But the issue the whole discussion really brought into focus for me was the airmiles/seamiles (i.e., use of energy resources) one. I hadn't even thought about this one in relation to salt.

Now I can see the sense in, say, England importing wheat as it used to. (Interesting history around the Corn Laws, the Napoleonic Wars, Free Trade, Cobden and Bright and the anti-Corn Law League, and Robert Peel and so on.) If you can't grow something easily and need plenty of it cheap, then ...

But salt?

This is just bizarre once you start to think about it, isn't it? Plenty of deposits. The UK is actually a net exporter of salt -- British Geological Survey:

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/downloads/start.cfm?id=1368

I have bought the "Himalayan" salt myself, and now I've been made to think about it I wonder what had got in my mind. They make very high-quality seasalt not ninety miles from where I live that's widely used by people like chefs. Why would I be buying salt that needs to come -- what? -- around 4,000 miles? That's not a sensible use of resources (i.e. fuel).

It was thinking about this in the context of Australia, having seen that rather bizarre Australian-based site for the salt from Pakistan that brought this home to me. There are vast salt deposits in Australia. See the map here:

http://www.k-plus-s.com/en/wissen/rohstoffe/salzvorkommen.html

[​IMG]

http://aliceonline.com.au/2012/03/18/salt-mine-tellus-more/

What is going through the minds of Australians buying this? Is it because it's pink?!? As someone comments above, that's probably down to iron salts in it. I mean if Aussies feel they're lacking in iron maybe they could go out and lick a few rusty fenceposts! Or better, have a nice juicy kangeroo steak.

"Health" myths have just got so out of proportion. As I said, what do they think the Aboriginal people were doing for the past 40,000 years?

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Berkey filter beliefs..........Bad........real bad. And there is another issue I found when I tested that bothered me more. Berkey's fluoride filters contain alumina. Alumina is oxidized aluminum which "they say" is chemically inert. When I tested I found high levels of Aluminum and some Fluoride especially after the third use. My concern as a neurosurgeon is Al and F together is a real toxic mess for neurons. The first two passes thru the levels of F were OK but the amount of Al was too high.......so you are trading one toxin for another.

ColinGorham likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Gold

11. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Mike, that was very informative. I try my best to keep my family safe from all that fluoride that is being constantly pushed on us. Every time I took my daughter for her dental check-up, I had to sign a paper saying that I refused for them to give her a fluoride rinse. Little did I know that that was just a small part of where flouride can be found. Always on guard!

12. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Tanya, I am not sure what you are saying about your TDS meter reading. I would bet that an 1/8 tsp of any salt would have a similar reading.

13. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Jonathin, it was not my test. I merely shared what I came across on the FB. Only the last sentence of the above post belongs to me. I should have used quotation marks for the rest…..

14. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Ya, I'm with Jonathin. TDS stands for total dissolved solids and while fluoride could be part of a TDS reading, so could any other mineral (like sodium or chloride). Of course pure water, with no dissolved solids in it will have a lower Total Dissolved Solids level in it than the same water with salt dissolved in it. The salt (sodium and chloride) itself is now a dissolved solid. This tells us next to nothing about fluoride in it, though.

15. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Jonathin and QiGuy1997, I should have also mentioned that the FB individual actually did two tests: one with ⅛ tsp Himalayan salt that gave a reading of 1,920 ppm and the other one was adding 5 drops of Trace minerals that gave a reading of 801 ppm. That is enough for me to make a decision that I have made regarding the use of Himalayan salt, especially that there are other kinds of good salt that is available to me. If people are interested in more accurate results - they can always send it to a lab, with a bigger price tag attached to it, of course.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

my local water company charge 50 bucks for a test.....no killer but they limit you to one a yr

Tanya likes this.
  17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This is good info..... are you going to blog about this... I know lots of people who think the Berkley the bees knees... when I looked at them I just couldn't buy what they were selling on the fluoride removal...

18. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I agree. I wish I could have known that earlier. Now that I removed the fluoride filters from Berkey, I only use that water for my face dunking. Seems like I don't really have any use for Berkey anymore because I use bottled water for just about everything else.

19. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

hm, so if I continue to put RO water (Primo from walmart, which comes from local tap) through a Berkey but sans the flouride filters, that takes out the potential Al but actual flouride amount is unknown. Will have to get that Primo water tested, since it could be variable on the amount of flouride remaining?

20. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Tanya, I think you misunderstood. the TDS has nothing to do with fluoride concentration. ANY salt is going to give you a high TDS measurement because that us exactly what you are doing, dissolving a solid. Any mineral including sodium and chloride, show up as TDS.