1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Red salt and Flouride

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by Martin, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Martin

Martin Gold

I saw Doc's answer to a question about red and black salt containing fluoride and researched this on "pink" himalayan salt:

http://fluoridedetective.com/fluoridated-salt/

If this is a credible source, you'll hear me let out a huge expletive as a think of my 25 pound bag of the stuff sitting on my pantry, and how much I have I've consumed in the last ten years.

2. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Thanks for picking this up Martin as I missed the connection

I have just started using himalayan pink salt and fluoride is not listed on the analysis table on the box so I emailed the company. Will post any outcome.

I did actually believe that natural fluoride was ok..ish!

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Now I wonder about the pink salt lamps.

4. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Ooooo that makes me mad if it's true. Salt bridges were bad enough and now we have fluoride on top of them!

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

:-0
    Fluoridated zombies?!?!?! What is the world coming to?

6. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Read your ingredients on every salt you buy. Out of interest I googled fluoridated table salt and some countries have got it as law. France ,Austria, Switzerland,Scotland to name but a few. If you do not live in any of these countries it does not mean you are safe. Some manufactureres add it anyway ,presumably to keep their production line simple.

8. Tanya

Tanya Gold

9. TimB

TimB New Member

Caveat Emptor

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've been using celtic sea salt for years. buy it in bulk :) I even have some for soaking...but our old pipes can't handle the bathtub remnants.

Tanya likes this.
  11. kovita

kovita Gold

wow, I live in Austria now, so it means fluoridization of salt is mandatory. And I am using himalayan salt on top of it... If anyone here has some proven brand recommendation on fluoride free salt, please do share. Kingdom for salt ;-)

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  12. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Wow thanks for that Martin. We started using pink salt but I changed to Welsh sea salt although I suppose that could be fluoridated too if they don't have to declare it!

13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Sooperb, I think if they use it they have to declare it unless there is a law that such "tiny" amount does not need to be declared. Google the make of your salt adding fluor or fluoridated and see what comes up. You could even send a mail to the manufacturer.But if the label does not say it you are probably ok.

Kovita ,Austria has fluoridated salt but not mandatory. You will need to read labels in the supermarket I am afraid. Your good news is that there is no water fluoridation.

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

My Fleur de Sel is running low so I'd like to reorder. But since it is a French product, it would have fluoride, right?
    This is really concerning. I use a variety of salts, but the texture and taste of this salt is so pleasing.

15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Ok I need to step back from something here.There is a lot of misreporting going on. In european countries it is not law, but permitted to add fluoride to salt. 60 % of tablesalts in Germany and 30% of tablesalts in France are supposed to have it . Source :http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/labellingnutrition/supplements/documents/eu_salt_en.pdf
    No country has made it law yet but they are making it much easier for manufacturers to add it as it has been declared safe.

Nonchalant, Fleur de sel seems to be naturally rich in fluor but not "enriched" but don't take my word for it. What doe sit say on the label?

16. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

They do seem to be right in saying that the salt is actually from Pakistan. There's a website where they sell it to Australians where they have a link "View our Certificate". It's issued by the Karachi Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.safesalt.com.au/himalayansaltcertificateofauthenticity.html

AFAIK, the Pamirs are regarded as forming part of the Himalayas and those are in Pakistan, so it's perhaps possible that it's mined in, or near, the Himalayas. Either way, I suppose it's a marketing exercise -- the people selling it will know that those mountains are highly revered in Hindu mythology and the very word conjures up visions of majestic snowbound peaks, mystery and spirituality, ancient kingdoms like Tibet, Kashmir and Bhutan.

Pakistan, a modern state emerging after the Partition of India just doesn't sound romantic or significant. Selling it as "Pakistan Salt" would give it about as much cachet as "Des Moines Butter" or "Milton Keynes Mustard".

That Australian-based site they've got is truly horrible. It has an air of faded edge-of-legality about it -- a design that's about 15 years out of date and looks like it was done in Microsoft Frontpage and wild claims. There's a load of tosh about "natural fluoride" on that site: if the ions are present, it's simply irrelevant whether they added them or not.

It seems sad that Australians are paying for salt to be moved halfway round the world, too. Needless airmiles/seamiles. What were the Aboriginals doing for the past 40,000 years? Certainly not shipping salt in from Central Asia.

I have got a bag of the stuff. Never mind: it'll do for putting on the path when it snows.

Of course, in the U.S. you have the Real Salt from Redmond.

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for the clarification, Lahe. I know the US does not require fluoride to be reported on food labels.
    I don't have a label for my salt because I bought it in bulk at the store. I was going to buy some more, but the store now has it at twice the former (high) price! I figured Amazon could help, and yes they have it much cheaper. I think I'll just use more of the Celtic salt.

18. Josh

Josh Gold

19. Tanya

Tanya Gold

What is the difference between celtic sea salt and Redmond real salt?

20. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

The Real Salt is mined from deposits in Utah.

http://www.redmondtrading.com/real-salt/

The same company does an all-natural toothpaste that uses the local Redmond clay and a few essential oils -- wintergreen and suchlike -- but nothing questionable. I've used it: it doesn't foam like conventional toothpaste, but you get used to that. For me it is an import though, so not ideal.

The Celtic salt is from Brittany. That's evaporated from seawater in salt-pans. It comes in several grades. One of those is pinkish -- probably depends on the level it crystallises out at. Mostly, it's greyish. I think that's partly owing to its picking up some of the clay that the pans are lined with -- nothing wrong with that.

I think either is just fine.

I've got some of the Celtic salt. It's good stuff, a little "sharper" in taste than the Himalayan salt maybe, but I don't think the taste varies a lot with different salts.

I noticed the Himalayan Salt website was touting it as "the world's purest salt". Surprising that's allowed under Australian Law. What does that even mean? I guess highly refined salt could legitimately be described as "pure" for what that would be worth ...

I found a tub of Cornish seasalt that has large very white flakes, like the salt from Maldon in Essex, England. It says there are over 60 minerals in it, though, so I guess that's as good as anything.