1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Red light damaging to eyes?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Jenny S, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

Hi can anyone tell me if using a red light on your face is damaging to your eyes? Do you need glasses or just close them? I actually wondered if it might be good for them

ScottishEmma likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

if you abuse it.........yes. Most people do not so I think the risk is low.

Mayuri and Lahelada like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The flip side of this question for me is more illuminating........is wearing sunglasses during the day when red and purple light are out doing their things on the regeneration pathways?

It can be DEADLY.

SUNGLASSES: Still think sunglasses are OK? Possible carcinogenic effects from filtering natural light were found accidentally in a conversation Dr. John Ott had with Dr. Albert Schweitzer’s daughter. The conversation pertained to her experiences with her father at Lambarene, on the west coast of Africa, and the rate of cancer found among those people. She said that when her father had started the hospital there in Africa, there was no cancer at all, but now it was a problem. She said that their simple surroundings had not changed or modernized.

The only thing different was that natives all wore sunglasses as a status symbol of the civilized world. They could always be found wearing them “even when paddling their dugout canoes wearing no more than a loin cloth. Sunglasses were so prized that these new adornments carried a higher barter value than beads or other trinkets. Think about how the light of the sun is filtered by sunglasses. Something so small has a massive effect and we keep missing it.

4. shiran

shiran Curious

Is there a scientific paper or article that I can show people regarding the sunglasses Specific.
    when I present the background simply to people they get a hard time connecting simply dots
    I think sunglasses are a silent killer!

seanb4 and Phosphene like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Go read Ott's book.

6. Sufoto

Sufoto New Member

I learned so much reading Ott's book . No sunglasses for me. What about using an Ott light for reading at night. I also have begun to print out what I want to read and take it on the deck and read outside in the morning.

Mike David and seanb4 like this.
  7. Penny

Penny New Member

Light at night is a total fail...

8. Sufoto

Sufoto New Member

So only read during the day??

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You can use red light to read at night but I would not do it chronically.

Earth Monkey and Brent Patrick like this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

[​IMG]

From Ott's book Health and Light

11. Dewey C. Layman Jr.

Dewey C. Layman Jr. New Member

I've been wondering about this too. I have a 660nm light and I use it on Ben and Jerry down low to raise testosterone and I've even tried shining it on my thyroid and sometimes when I do that my throat is sore the next day just from shining it on there for like not even 5 minutes. So I've thought about using it on my eyes but if it makes my throat sore than im not even going to try my eyes. Lol I might do it with my eyes closed but not open.

12. Dina Bredeau

Dina Bredeau New Member

Me too! I've been wondering which one is the best (think Dr. Kruse has been trying some different ones) because have read about it helping skin texture, wrinkles etc.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Your retinal is sensitive to 5 photons. Therefore any light post sunset carries a risk.

Brent Patrick and Mayuri like this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

That slide was in my Vermont 2017 talk.
    [​IMG]

Mayuri likes this.
  15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Photoreceptors in the eye = 5 photons (extreme sensitivity) = nonlinear effect of light, in the same way that a small amount of UVA can have a huge biological effect = extremely lowered melatonin levels

Brent Patrick, Mike David and Mayuri like this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^the other side of the coin taught in the Vermont 2017 lecture.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Your eye and skin are exquisitely sensitive to light because of melanopsin. This makes us very sensitive to blue over red……but even red light lowers melatonin level due to the release mechanism. Red light indirectly decreases pineal release because red light affects the cortisol limb. Cortisol and melatonin are a quantum thermodynamic couple too. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2010/829351/

Dean6789 and Mayuri like this.
  19. Dewey C. Layman Jr.

Dewey C. Layman Jr. New Member

And by red light you mean infrared or can just a red LED do this?

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yep

Mayuri likes this.