1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Red light as recommended as ambient light after sunset?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by lilreddgirl, Jan 16, 2016.

1. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I've gotten some great answers from members on how to use red light as a collagen therapy... about 20 min use on skin in a dark room, but some have said not at night as it messes with melatonin...

But what about ambient light? Will it affect my melatonin levels?

Are we supposed to or ok to use a Red LED as after sunset light (in my case with blacklights too) ?

2. Eilee

Eilee Gold

great question. I use a red LED in my bedroom at night for the the short time that I'm awake.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  3. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

My gut instinct tells me that ANY light at night might mess with melatonin, but red light would probably do this the least. I'm hesitant about the UV in the evening since it is closer to blue than red is.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

TIME 7 COMPLETELY EXPLAINS It............

READ IT.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  5. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I read Time 7 now but I didn't understand the explanation completely:

What I got was that red light is more 'wavy' than UV which is more 'particle.' And that 'wavy' is more important at night. So maybe after dark it's recommended and ok to use Red light (however I know from reading here that even UV is ok after sunset as long as no blue).

I don't want to mess myself up while I'm still learning to catch these trends on my own!

IS Red light ok or recommended by Jack for use after sunset?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  6. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

As far as UV/IR light I'm pretty sure Jack said both were okay around the clock but I don't know why that is exactly. I found that last blog really tough to understand. I think I need to learn more of the basic fundamentals to really get a grasp of this stuff.

7. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks! What about RED light at 660 nm ? I don't have an IR yet...

8. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I heard Jack say that red light is best in the evening and preferably outside. It is also the antidote for excessive blue light so it would make sense to use it after work (a blue lit nightmare).
    It was somewhere in this podcast. He didn't go into the details as to why.
    Sorry I don't know exactly where but it is in there somewhere-

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    lilreddgirl likes this.
  9. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks I heard that one too... I don't really know of anyone on forum mentioning the practice of red light use outside in the evening... and how to...

I wish I had some answers on what to do... I'm going to just use it indoors with my blacklights when it comes and hope for the best,

hope I'm not gonna harm myself...

sass and Cpt.Tired like this.
  10. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I doubt the red will hurt you. Its the black light I'm more cautious with because it does have a bit of blue in it.

11. jenaf

jenaf Silver

When you say red 660nm light, are talking a 90W UFO? Or just a red LED light bulb that replaces a 60w bulb? One is used for healing and the other is ambient.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  12. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks! I'm just talking about a Red LED bulb... http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Aging-Light-Therapy-Lines-Wrinkles/dp/B0028MD4V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453252718&sr=8-1&keywords=anti aging bulb

So this one is used for ambient then :) what a relief...

apparently from the Amazon reviews it has some good results for people even using it as a healing bulb, so I will try it that way close to my skin as well.

Will it bring some benefit as ambient light as well? or is it just that it won't hurt since it's not blue... ?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  13. jenaf

jenaf Silver

That is a healing light/lamp. Ambient lighting I'm talking about is just a red lightbulb from your hardware store.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  14. jenaf

jenaf Silver

But yours may work for both. It just doesn't look like one that you can screw into all your lamps etc around the house.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  15. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

lilreddgirl, having a fire outdoors in the evening is a natural source of healing IR light. I do this on occasion, and also sit by my fireplace in the evening. Other than the IR from the sun, a fire is the next best thing there is.

Jenelle, jwhb77, Cpt.Tired and 2 others like this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

IF you have to use light at night red is best..........but here is the caveat, even red light can lower melatonin at night. So be careful when you hack it. If re drains sleep avoid it.

jwhb77, Calum, Mystic Rose60 and 3 others like this.
  17. Edgar Valenzuela

Edgar Valenzuela New Member

I have a Far Infrared Sauna from Sunlighten that I have been using for about 8 months, and I don't feel ANYTHING from it. Do you think that a Near Infrared light source like a UFO light or the one mentioned by @lilreddgirl might work better for me?

Also, Dr. Jack Kruse mentioned something about a gas fireplace and how it is not ideal. I was driving while listening to his podcast, so I could not take notes. Is a gas fireplace better than no fireplace at all for lighting at night?

lilreddgirl likes this.
  18. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks Dr. Kruse! :) ... feeling more secure and will be looking out for hack effects

drat! I just got my light in last night and it seems to be specifically for healing not ambient at all ... doesn't put out a lot of ambient light, just a little circle of strong red!

@jenaf The red light from the hardware store for ambient light... is it an incandescent or also LED ?

@Mystic Rose60 a fire outside! That makes sense!

@Edgar Valenzuela I see some successes with people using NIR LEDs reported on Amazon reviews and I also mentioned to me by some people here. However the light I linked is not NIR its just Red... so the difference I understand is that IR penetrates deeper tissues to heal them, while the Red works just on the skin for regeneration.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I try to use fire for my night light. [​IMG]

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Gas fires spectrum has some blue in it because of the propane and butanes.........fire with wood does not. Mostly IR.