1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Recoen

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by recoen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Valerie

Valerie Gold

With all due respect I find it hard that my daughter comes from all my mitrochondrial genes. Her metabolism comes from her dad! Always remained a huge question in my mind

recoen likes this.
  2. recoen

recoen Gold

3. recoen

recoen Gold

@Valerie I think that is why we always need to have a questioning attitude and never assume the science is settled!

Valerie likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

Or should we?

recoen likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

In Huge Shock, Mitochondrial DNA Can Be Inherited From Fathers
    -------------
    Although mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is normally received from the mother, three families have been identified where people received some of their mtDNA, three-quarters in the most extreme case, from their father. The finding may change the way we treat mitochondrial diseases and brings genetic testing for maternal ancestry into question.
    -------------
    @Jack Kruse

Please, comment.

upload_2018-11-27_9-42-46.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Pebbles, drezy and recoen like this.
  6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I see what you did there! :cool:

drezy and recoen like this.
  7. recoen

recoen Gold

@drezy haha well played :D. I am looking forward to the eventual onslaught of questions from my son!

drezy likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

9. recoen

recoen Gold

@drezy we will see how long he take to stump the chump! He is developing a pretty funny personality already. They are truly amazing to watch, learn from, and grow with!

10. recoen

recoen Gold

@JanSz what I found amazing is as much as 40% can come from dad. I know research has shown women hold on to DNA from other sexual partners which could further complicate things.

“identified three unrelated multi-generation families that showed a high level of mtDNA heteroplasmy – ranging from 24 to 76 percent – across 17 separate individuals”. I wonder if the high heteroplasmy from mom led dads to fill in?

Interesting: “Clearly, these results will need to be brought in agreement with the fact that maternal inheritance remains absolutely dominant on an evolutionary timescale and that occasional paternal transmission events seem to have left no detectable mark on the human genetic record”.

https://www.sciencealert.com/radica...-dna-can-be-inherited-from-dads-after-all/amp

drezy likes this.
  11. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

A brilliant and intuitive mama—we need more of you! :)

Welcome.

caroline, recoen and drezy like this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

In Brazil, possibly more than any other place, there is a mix of variety peoples.
    When I was in Brazil I have heard story there:
    When black looking woman have a child with black man there,
    and she have not cheated
    the baby may come out looking like a Polish or Swedish blond with normal white skin.

//

drezy likes this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

My favorite administrative assistant was a 60+ year old half black half white woman with a husband of the similar heritage. She had a large family with both her own generation and the generation she gave birth to and they, in turn, are having large families.

The color spectrum runs the whole gamut in her family meaning that especially the second generation down has any given white black pairing producing any color. The funny thing is that, though race can be a sensitive topic in the US, her family places wagers on baby colors. I almost lost my lunch laughing so hard when she told me that.

She had family reunion pictures and loved to ask me who I thought married into the family vs was born into it. I failed to guess correctly almost every time.

caroline, Phosphene and JanSz like this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I would not be surprised if the mitochondria form mom only is just a temporary story, or stopping point, until we learn more.

.. We are indeed living in interesting times (and that is not a curse)
    Lots of this if not all is thanks to @Jack Kruse
    for turning those stones over (for us).

Phosphene likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

I second that and it's obvious what Gregor Mendel would be doing today if he were alive..................... Scratching at the inside of his coffin yelling "Get me out of here!"

Phosphene and JanSz like this.
  16. Penny

Penny New Member

oh yes, definitely a different name... the owner of 23andme is the wife of the owner of google...

Phosphene and recoen like this.
  17. recoen

recoen Gold

18. recoen

recoen Gold

@Phosphene thank you! I am not perfect or optimal yet but I am taking steps in that direction :).

caroline and Phosphene like this.
  19. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Gosh yes, that’s the case for all of us. Certainly no ‘destination’ for optimal. And perfect would be boring. ;)

caroline and recoen like this.
  20. recoen

recoen Gold

Does anyone have any data on what light is transmitted through your typical screen door and window screens? If so then I would appreciate the information!