1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Raylynn's new healthy life

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Raylynn, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

I am 48 years old and a wife with one 13yo son.
    Started leptin reset 8/3 and hope to continue to be truly healthy.
    I am about 60 pounds overweight and having surgery in one week. I will be home for 3 months after so want to get healthy so I can heal faster.
    I have started having changes in my sweating patterns and very vivid dreams, so think I am on my way!
    I have eaten a BAB for 2 years after starting a reset back then. Love me some bacon!! The rest of my meals are harder for me, but I am working on meal planning and stocking the house with appropriate food. While off work, I plan to continue to eat paleo, and when I am rehabing, I will start the exercise program. Rehab will start about 6 weeks after surgery, so it should be good timing for my reset.
    Can't wait to feel better, energetic, and just generally happier! :eek:

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Raylynn .. and welcome to journal land!

4. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

Thanks for that link!!
    I will read and re-read before next week. I am already doing some of those supplements, so am on the right road.

5. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

I have a thought for the day. I am trying to see how much carbs and bad food I can give up, instead of thinking what I am giving up. Might not make much sense, but getting my brain right is helping me get over the carb craving. I will not be regretting what I am giving up, instead concentrating on how much I can pass up. Kinda like a challenge to see how much I can say no to.
    Last night, I cooked sloppy joe sandwiches for my family with venison and homemade recipe. My husband and son used buns for their meat, but I used pork skins to dip with instead. (Please don't berate me for my meal plan just yet. I have to feed my family who are not on the plan, and I find it easier to figure out something different for me instead of the whole family.) Great salad with it and ice cold water to drink.
    It was very filling for me, and had a crunch with it to make me feel like I ate something bad.
    I hope to do well again today.
    7 days til surgery.

6. nicld

nicld Gold

Look up coconut flour tortillas. It might work pretty good for the sloppy joes and well as alot of other meals.

Oh and venison, yummmmmmmmm. I am trying to get some more myself.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

That sounds perfect .....fat is your friend :)

8. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

I did really well yesterday. Went to lunch with DILs and DS at Cheesecake Factory. Had a ceaser salad wtih chicken. No, I did not eat bread, and no I did not eat cheesecake. MIL and DS shared a piece and offered some to me, but I refused. I just kept thinking, look how much I can give up. Thing was, I was full from salad and didn't even finish it. Not really hunger for dinner either. Wow, hope this continues.
    I have upped my vitamin D supplements, and have started CT on my foot. Can't go too cold since I have Raynaud's and don't want to freeze off some toes!
    With even a week of therapy, I hope that will help me after surgery.
    5 days til surgery.

9. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

nicld, thanks for the reference of coconut flour tortillas. I'll look that up!

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I wouldn't think of it as giving up anything - you are gaining so much more ......you are on a journey to optimal health and those things don't fit in with your new life plan. Honestly - I think most here would tell you that they wouldn't even be able to eat a piece of cake etc .... I can't even imagine having a mouthfull....
    If you are eating enough fat and protein - your cravings go away .....honest! Why would I want to go back to how I was feeling - always out of control, unhealthy, always bloated, always fat and unhappy ....and missing life... I missed so much for way, way too long.....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  11. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

Caroline, you are right. I am gaining so many things. Health for one. Energy that I haven't had to sprint with my DS. Wonderful sleep, that leads to better cognition and fruitful days. The cravings are almost gone. And I am not thinking about food as much as before. Being able to focus on other things and actually getting things accomplished is a real eye opener.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

12. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

I had a good weekend. Really got a lot accomplished. Cleaned house, spread mulch in flower beds, washed everything in my house that could be washed, and cooked. Did not sleep alot. My nerves are really getting to me. I am worrying about surgery even though I know it is in God's hands now. Finally, Sunday night I slept and only woke up once. Monday night was even better. Slept all night, and even got up an hour earlier because somehow my clock time got changed. After I woke up my DH and DS, then sent them back to bed to sleep another hour, I did 2 loads of laundry, cleaned out the microwave, read emails, and sat down to eat breakfast. Got to work on time.
    I have surgery tomorrow, and pray that I sleep tonite. I am physically ready, but not sure about mentally. Again, I just pray that God will take care of me.
    Hope to journal again next week.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I will be thinking of you........I can't wait for you to be back home and really get into all this .....you are doing great :)
    just imagine where you will be one year from now.... Tell us your plans...

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

You must have the cleanest house in town!!! when something here needs to be cleaned ....I go to the beach instead :)

15. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

Finally able to get online for a few minutes today. Surgery went very well according to surgeon. Took him longer than he thought, but he was able to repair everything and only used 2 screws. I have 2 incisions, and 2 puncture wounds from the screws. Don't mean to be gross, but I am an OR nurse and we tend to talk like this. They put a block in my leg which made it completely numb until 2AM Thursday morning. No pain until then. I came off the narcotics 4 days after surgery and am only using ibuprofin as needed for muscle aches. Having a lot of those with hopping around the house. I can't stand how drugs make me feel, and my foot pain has been minimal. Elevation helps the most with the foot pain. Who'd a thunk it??
    So anyway, on to my diet. Very hard to keep paleo when everyone is bringing food and actually fixing a plate and bringing it to you! We have had a lot of carbs, but I am doing my best. I am doing well with the BAB, but after that it gets dicey. Funny how I can't tell my MIL no when she makes me food and brings it to me without asking. Anybody else have that problem? Anyway, my husband is cooking this weekend and will leave leftovers for me this week, including a smoked boston butt. Yummm!!! I am also eating a lot of salads and a piece of fruit each day. Love me some almond butter too. Not perfect, but it is what it is. My motto is, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be. So I try to eat well and fill up on meat and salads, then have a piece of fruit if I am still hungry.
    This week will be the first time I will be alone since surgery. Very hard for me to get around, and with only one foot, I can't carry anything. So I will eat in the kitchen at the butcher block, and continue drinking lots of water.
    And resting a lot with my foot up. I realized last Friday, a week postop, that I have nothing but time. I have 3 months off, with 2 of those non weight bearing on one foot. Can't get too upset. I will rest and do what I can.
    One great thing, my 13yoDS has been a God send. He has helped me and remembers what I need without me saying anything. He knows what I need at bedtime and has it ready for me before I get there. I have profusely thanked him, and hope he will remember that I love him and this is only temporary.
    I am getting tired with my foot down, so I must go rest!

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am so happy to hear how well you are doing! you have a great attitude ....that is invaluable on this crazy life journey we are on. It is really hard when a loved one is bringing you food. But I think that you do need to have a heart to heart with her soon and explain your plans for taking your life back. You so appreciate everything she has done but you need to reclaim your life and tell her how you plan to do it so she kind of understands. These are the choices you are making and you won't compromise. People need to respect that ...and if they don't....too bad....this is your decision and your life .....

17. nicld

nicld Gold

Good to hear that it went well. A friend just had foot surgery and she too has to stay off of it for 8 weeks. That would drive me NUTS. Wishing you speedy healing and patience.

Nicole

18. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

Thanks for the reply Caroline. I have explained in the past to my MIL, but she is die hard nofat/nocholesteral diet and will not recognize any other way. Luckily, I am much more self sufficient now and she will not be here any more. Now, I can eat a BAB without problems, and a great lunch by myself.
    Speaking of, I had a good bkfast, and will reheat some boston butt with a salad for lunch. I continue to take L-glutamine in the AM, and feel a little stronger today. A big problem I am seeing is not getting enough sleep. I am still on my work schedule, so have to go to bed about 8:30, and then up at 6:00. My DH and DS get up at 6, so I need to force myself to sleep at 8 or 9. Feel much more energetic when I get 8 hours of sleep. And I am dreaming vividly again, so I know I am sleeping well. Love me some sleep!!
    Still taking some ibuprofen for muscle pain, but hope to ease off that as the days go on. Using ice and elevation to help with those muscle aches.
    Looking forward to walking and working in the yard soon too. My soul needs the outdoors to feel better, and accomplishing something in the yard helps. And my dogs love to stay outside with me when I am gardening. I have so many ideas for winterizing my beds and working my compost pile, I can hardly stand sitting in side. Was out on the deck this morning watching the hummingbirds and dogs, wishing I could go look at my compost pile. I also need to work the soil around my blueberry bushes with compost, but (sigh) I will get to it soon. Never wanted to work this much when I could!! Now I see everything that needs to be done. Isn't that the way it works, we never seem to be happy just to BE!
    Wish me luck since I am going to try to wash my hair by myself in the sink today! Hopefullyl I won't flood the kitchen, nor leave soap or conditioner in my hair!
    Good day!

19. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

Thanks for the reply Caroline. I have explained in the past to my MIL, but she is die hard nofat/nocholesteral diet and will not recognize any other way. Luckily, I am much more self sufficient now and she will not be here any more. Now, I can eat a BAB without problems, and a great lunch by myself.
    Speaking of, I had a good bkfast, and will reheat some boston butt with a salad for lunch. I continue to take L-glutamine in the AM, and feel a little stronger today. A big problem I am seeing is not getting enough sleep. I am still on my work schedule, so have to go to bed about 8:30, and then up at 6:00. My DH and DS get up at 6, so I need to force myself to sleep at 8 or 9. Feel much more energetic when I get 8 hours of sleep. And I am dreaming vividly again, so I know I am sleeping well. Love me some sleep!!
    Still taking some ibuprofen for muscle pain, but hope to ease off that as the days go on. Using ice and elevation to help with those muscle aches.
    Looking forward to walking and working in the yard soon too. My soul needs the outdoors to feel better, and accomplishing something in the yard helps. And my dogs love to stay outside with me when I am gardening. I have so many ideas for winterizing my beds and working my compost pile, I can hardly stand sitting in side. Was out on the deck this morning watching the hummingbirds and dogs, wishing I could go look at my compost pile. I also need to work the soil around my blueberry bushes with compost, but (sigh) I will get to it soon. Never wanted to work this much when I could!! Now I see everything that needs to be done. Isn't that the way it works, we never seem to be happy just to BE!
    Wish me luck since I am going to try to wash my hair by myself in the sink today! Hopefullyl I won't flood the kitchen, nor leave soap or conditioner in my hair!
    Good day!

20. Raylynn

Raylynn New Member

One other thing before I go, saw a quote on Dave Ramsey this AM that hit home with me: Proverbs 3:5-6. Trust in the lord with all your heart, and lean not on your OWN understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him...
    I acknowledge you Lord, I don't understand why I am going thru all this, but I know you do!!