1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Raw salmon!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Destiny, Dec 3, 2012.

1. NittDan

NittDan New Member

Thanks, Gretch...I shall[​IMG]

2. Of course fresh is the best.....but I thaw too!  Just make sure you thaw it well and dry it as much as possible to get that moisture out of it or the wetness will water down the recipe.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Caroline,

I am working on it [​IMG]!! Actually that one is not so bad, I used to have the tartar meat in Europe. Of course, with a toast.

Desting - I just put a piece of rump steak on a plate and let it sit in the fridge for a few days - it becomes almost like salami!!

4. endless

endless New Member

I am sitting here eating my salmon tartare..thanks for the recipe! I used frozen salmon and it was fine [​IMG]

5. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

It's pretty hard to get fresh salmon where I live so I always use the sushi grade I get frozen from Alaska. Sushi grade is determined by how the salmon was handled from catching it to it's packaging  Certainly, I wouldn't expect it to go to China first,  like many of the fish is handled these days. I will buy Whole Paychecks if I, absolutely, have to but I highly doubt the freshness. The Alaskan frozen salmon I buy from a legit source is much better than theirs. The best way to tell a fish is fresh is to touch it...should be NO slime and only smell of the ocean. Whole Foods tried to say it was the oil in the fish that made it slimy to the touch, but that's just another lie I caught them at.

Can you tell I am not a Whole Foods fan? I tolerate them just to get what I cannot get elsewhere.

6. jayjha1@gmail.com

jayjha1@gmail.com New Member

I have done it the last 2 nights only and am pretty freakin' stunned as to how good I feel.

Yesterday I chopped up 5oz of raw wild salmon and 3 oz of wild dover sole.  To that I added 1lb (in shell) of steamed mussels that I removed from the shell.  I tossed the whole thing with fish sauce, lime, tons of fresh ginger, serrano pepper, cilantro, a teaspoon of unheated honey and a tablespoon of organic evoo. 

It was delicious and I was just in the best mood all evening and this morning.  Gonna try this again today for dinner - I ran out of salmon but I got about 13oz of wild dover sole that I'll be chopping up tonight.

7. furface

furface New Member

Not sure if this would qualify as a raw salmon recipe, but it does use raw salmon, and I've actually tried it while at a luau in Hawaii, and it was very refreshing. Also not sure if it would be Epi-Paleo approved, but I'll post it anyway.

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Ingredients

• 24 oz Salmon (or However Much Salmon You Desire)
      • Salt
        • 7-10 medium size tomatoes OR 3 large ones
        1 1/2 cup green onions
      1 large sweet yellow onion (Maui Onion, Sweet Walla Walla Onion etc.)

Directions

Makes about 10 servings

1. Wash off salmon. Rub salt all over the fish and wrap in saran wrap. (clear wrapper). Place in fridge for 8 hours or overnight.

2. Remove from fridge and place in a bowl with ice cold water. Replacing water every 30 minutes for a total of 1 hour.

3. Wash off well and remove skin.

4. Cut into small cube pieces.

5. Cut tomatoes in halves, remove seeds, and dice. Dice onion as well. Chop green onions.

6. In a new clean bowl, add salmon, tomatoes, onion, and green onions. Mix it well.

****Lomi Lomi in hawaiian means to massage so make sure your hands are clean and lomi away /wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

7. Place in fridge, let it chill and serve when ready.

Number of Servings: 10

[​IMG]

8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Caroline, I might venture into that. My husband will probably faint first but then, he will get used to it [​IMG]!!

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

10. furface

furface New Member

My pleasure! [​IMG]

Of course you can lessen the quantity of ingredients to make a smaller salad. Hawaiian sea salt, or rock salt are probably the best options to use, but in a pinch any salt will do. I actually had about 3 servings of this at the luau before I even found out that they use raw salmon. Very tasty side dish along with the kalua pork as well. Don't get my started on how delicious kalua pork is as well lol!

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am sure nobody would mind to get you started on good food [​IMG]! Any recipe on kalua pork?

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am usually using Real salt. Is it just OK or good?

13. furface

furface New Member

I'm sure real salt would be good.

Kalua Pig in a Slow Cooker

Ingredients:

• 1 (6 pound) pork butt roast

• 1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
      • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
      Directions

[list type=decimal]
      [*]Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
      [*]Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
      Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

Or...

Oven Kalua Pork

Ingredients:

5 pounds pork butt roast

1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

2 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt, divided

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Rub liquid smoke and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the salt into the skin of the pork. Wrap well in foil, and seal completely. Place in a roasting pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven until an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) is reached, about 5 hours. Remove from oven and let cool before shredding. Sprinkle the shredded meat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt.
    [/list type=decimal]

Best eaten with your fingers after it's cooled down a bit.

[​IMG]

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Destiny .....Have you tried celtic salt or himalayan salt?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Lomi lomi salmon sounds delicious - thanks.  Have you tried steak Tartare?  same principle .......chopped steak, onions,EVOO,herbs,S&P, jalapeno pepper.......really - whatever appeals

16. furface

furface New Member

Haven't tried steak Tartare yet. I may down the line. Heck, I don't even like sushi. lol

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Yum, furface! Thanks a lot!!!

18. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Hi Destiny .....Have you tried celtic salt or himalayan salt?

Hi Caroline!
    I had Celtic salt but will have to try Himalayan. I like that it is pink. My Real salt has pink and grey specks in it. It looks like a combination of Celtic and Himalayan salt.

19. furface

furface New Member

No problem, Destiny. [​IMG]