1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Raw salmon!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Destiny, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I cannot believe it[​IMG]! I just had it for breakfast with a lot of radish and mustard. You probably think, alright, what's the big deal?

This is huge for me! You can say I have a fish aversion.

First, I started with cooked and now raw. So this is for anybody who thinks that they cannot get over the fishy stuff.

You don't have to like them but eat them!

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Destiny that is wonderful news!  Good for you!!

I've been amazed at how my attitude towards seafood has changed.  It is similar to my attitude towards cold.

Hey, and my attitude towards change too....  [​IMG]

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Great news Destiny.  Have you tried the raw meat yet?

4. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

This is great news Destiny. I was the same as you not long ago. If you would have told me I was going to eat raw salmon a year ago, I would have told you NEVER!! Infact, now I like raw salmon much better than cooked and have not cooked it since eating it raw. Mind you, I use homemade mayo in mine to disguise it even more, but eating it is the main thing.

You might be trying ceviche soon? great using bay scallops. So encouraging going on this journey with others that are just like me.  Least brain fog has waned so I can appreciate and root for others with common goals.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Destiny that is wonderful news!  Good for you!!

I've been amazed at how my attitude towards seafood has changed.  It is similar to my attitude towards cold.

Hey, and my attitude towards change too....  /wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Nonchalant, I remember the first time when I saw Dr. K's post about cold than epi-paleo. I was like that will never happen[​IMG]!!! .... I was wrong!

Many of my dogmas changed as I go through this process.

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Caroline,

I am working on it [​IMG]!! Actually that one is not so bad, I used to have the tartar meat in Europe. Of course, with a toast.

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

This is great news Destiny. I was the same as you not long ago. If you would have told me I was going to eat raw salmon a year ago, I would have told you NEVER!! Infact, now I like raw salmon much better than cooked and have not cooked it since eating it raw. Mind you, I use homemade mayo in mine to disguise it even more, but eating it is the main thing.

You might be trying ceviche soon? great using bay scallops. So encouraging going on this journey with others that are just like me.  Least brain fog has waned so I can appreciate and root for others with common goals.

Rachelle, you are definitely more advanced than me[​IMG]! Could you share your homemade mayo recipe? I will have to look into the ceviche thing - it is something like a raw fish salad, righ?

8. diane

diane Gold

Good for you Destiny!

I'm very similar. Although I love sushi, so raw fish wasn't so far out there for me. But have bought my own for home, and it was so refreshing. I've now made steak tartare twice (so easy), and yes, my next thing is ceviche for sure. And raw beef heart.

Have made my own kombucha and drink pickle juice. Actually craved liver. Oh if people only knew the strange things I do LOL. Not to mention the cold baths (which I have to tell people because they can't figure out why I don't get cold and it's winter) and the blue blockers! [​IMG]

I haven't ventured as far as high meat or mackerel head smoothies - but at this point, nothing is off the table LOL. 

I love to watch how far people can push themselves! And inspire others.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

i have eaten raw fish every night for the last three weeks.......results have been nothing short of wow.  

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

i have eaten raw fish every night for the last three weeks.......results have been nothing short of wow.  

Dr. K,

Could we get more details on the wow? Just to keep my "raw" motivation going[​IMG] !

11. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Honestly, you should have known this long ago. I can't attribute the lack of brain fog to anything but raw salmon or ceviche and oysters. I have followed you for about a year and when you mentioned fish for some odd reason, I took to it. I won't ever look back. But YOU, of anyone, should know what Epi Paleo does for the brain. How do you explain "no brainfog". I do the best I can, and I cannot afford the food you eat and I can only imagine what results I would have if I could--it would be all raw with the exception of fish smoothies. But it is nothing but amazing to come as far as I have in such a short time. Yes, Dr Jack Kruse I have a long ways to go, but I am willing, able to follow what I know is the best diet by far. I would not have been open to this had it not been for the trust I have in your. Tell me I would be eating raw salmon and ceviche--god forbid, a can of sardines...I am looking forward to see how adventurous I can be.

12. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Mayo is basicallly this recipe from Nom Nom but I use avocado oil and MTC oil http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/macadamia-nut-oil-mayonnaise

For me it makes tartare more easier to swollow..lol if you know what I mean

The ceviche I love is made with Mango, jalapeno pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and a bit of honey. You can use any type of white fish but I find bay scallops are really the good in this recipe. Lots of options like tomato, orange juice, red pepper, celery..you can use what you like. Let marinate a few hours or more.

Just do it.

13. I have a great salmon tartar recipe.  I'll try to find it and post it.  I have made nut crackers to eat with it or for me I just eat it by the bowl full!

14. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Rachelle. I will give it a try [​IMG].

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

That would be great! I am sure that it is much better than my raw salmon with mustard only.

16. OK it is:

Salmon Tartar
    3/4 # Salmon cut into 1/4" dice
    1/4 cup capers, drained but not rinsed
    1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped (both white and green parts)
    2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (can use a little less)
    2 tsp pureed Chipotles (come in a little can in Mex food section- I just chop mine)
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    3 Tbsp Cilantro chopped 

Mix salmon, capers and onions.
    Combine mustard and chipotles.  Drizzle mixture over salmon.
    Drizzle olive oil and mix thoroughly.
    Add cilantro and mix thoroughly

To add a punch to it you can drizzle a little Tequila over it after all mixed up and ready to go.

It should refrigerated for a couple of hours if you have time. Yummy!

17. lifh@jubii.dk

lifh@jubii.dk New Member

Thank you Patty Cakes - this I will certainly try

18. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Not sure how to delete a double post in the new website?

19. NittDan

NittDan New Member

Do you HAVE to buy any special type of salmon to make the tartare?  Can I thaw say frozen sockeye and use to make this dish?? 

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I use previously frozen salmon to make graved lachs - based off of Inger's recipe... very tasty... go ahead and thaw away!