1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

random rashes - cold urticaria or... ?... and what do do

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by meyoolia@gmail.com, Mar 29, 2012.

1. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

So after following Dr. K's CT protocol and getting to the icy tub stage a few times, I developed itchy/scabby areas on my head which I thought were contact dermatitis from my neoprene cpap headgear. So... I switched to another mask/headgear type, eased off the CT, and after 2 weeks of worsening, finally resorted to a weak cortisone lotion. That seemed to help a lot, so earlier this week, I started up with a couple of tubbings, alternating days with icepacks and....the scalp issues are BACK :( I'm upping my fish oil and krill oil and started using the cortisone (.1%) lotion again. Should I quit the CT for awhile?? I was fine during the pre-tubbing coldpack stage, no problems at all. If it's cold urticaria, why my HEAD?? And if it's not, what is it and should I "stay the course" or...?

*sigh* So glad for this forum and all you folks!!

2. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Get your omega6/3 tested along with HS-CRP. Sounds like you have a lot of inflammation in your body. You might try rubbing some CO or olive oil on your head once the rash is gone. I would stop CT until the rash is gone or go back to the ice packs until the rash is gone.

3. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Oops, forgot, you can't rub any oil on your head if you have hair. I don't , so ignore that part.

4. meyoolia@gmail.com

I did just that a few weeks ago. 1.1 mg/L, with under 1.0 being "low risk" (for heart attack I guess), and 1-3 "average". yeeshk, i do hate the thought of having to reacclimate, but I'll back off some, back to the coldpack stage and up my krill oil til i can get my 6/3's tested.

And re the CO, heh heh... sure I can.... it just wouldn't be pretty! I might just give it a try, messier but less pharmaceutical than cortisone :p And with this whole "mom's gone nuts" paleo/CT thing with the family these days, i think i could grease my head up good and stick twigs in and they'd simply shake their heads. rofl....

*still smirking* Good ideas, thanks ;)

5. meyoolia@gmail.com

Ok, so I've picked up some homeopathic apis...gonna try that for a day or so, then it's on to your suggestion, Shilohman, and the coconut oil shmear (I've also picked up a fabric "bonnet" that should keep the worst of the oil off my pillow) - somehow with coconut oil being such a grand thing for intestinal nasties, it seems to ring right that it'd be good for skin nasties, too :rolleyes: ....then comes, maybe, aloe..... and somewhere in there - *sigh* - stopping even the icepacking awhile, if nothing else works.

6. The ladies from India that I have worked with swear by combing CO through the hair in the evening and then washing it out in the morning. "Best conditioner ever" is what I've been told. So it's not just a paleo crazy thing. ;)

7. meyoolia@gmail.com

Upside: They're right! my hair's great this morning after a night "soaking" in it.

Downside: Rash is worse :( doubt it's due to the CO tho.

8. Susan M.

Susan M. New Member

When I started LC three years ago, my persistent scabby scalp cleared up. Then, when I began the reset with my husband at the beginning of February, it started popping up again. This was before I even began the CT protocol. I have been doing the CT for awhile now, and it seems to be easing up. So, I am not so sure that it is the CT causing the scabby scalp at all. I am trying to see it, perhaps, it might be one of the supplements that I am now taking. Since I don't think that it is the food that I have taken away, and I really haven't added any new foods, I am checking out the ingredients on the supplements.

9. meyoolia@gmail.com

A possible lead.... "Localized cold reflex urticaria leads to symptoms of hives and swelling away from the area of direct exposure to cold. An ice-cube test on the arm may cause hives to form a few inches away from the site of ice-cube application, for example".

Has anybody experienced this?? Benadryl is helping a bit, but not much :p