1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Radiation and sockeye salmon

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by brookway17, Aug 22, 2018.

1. brookway17

brookway17 New Member

I eat a lot of Alaskan sockeye salmon and I am concerned with the Fukushima radiation. I have googled this extensively and have gotten a lot of conflicting opinions . Should I be concerned, I value your thoughts.

Alex97232 likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The topic of radiation in seafood is overrated and misunderstood (few know about hormesis and transcription factors like PARP1 and Ku70). Sharing this with people who say, "I'm not sure about eating seafood due to Fukushima. Radiation has been condemned by the entire scientific community as being a “dangerous bar”. This is surprising, however, since there is strong scientific evidence for the molecular mechanisms of how transient “radiation drinks” could promote health. I tell my patient's seafood radiation has many surprising benefits. Today we know that low doses of radiation stimulate DNA repair through the activation of four transcription factors, PARP-1, PARP2, ATM, and Ku70. In response to low dose, sublethal radiation (or xenohormetic compounds). PARP-1 and PARP-2 activate two DNA repair pathways called “Single strand break repair” (SSBR) and one called “Base Excision Repair” (BER). Both of these repair single-stranded DNA breaks. In response to low dose, sublethal radiation (or xenohormetic compounds), Ku-70 activates the DNA repair pathway called “Non-homologous end joining” (NHEJ). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...+parp1+parp2&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,22&as_vis=1

Science evolves even if your thinking remains stagnant. We must expand our grip of science…………or risk falling from the cliff. I tell this to my patients and all the alternative functional medicine doctors who keep telling their patients seafood is bad. It is really bad advice based on outdated thinking.

3. brookway17

brookway17 New Member

Thanks for the terrific information. Interestingly during my googling I saw a good article about a native American tribe on the western coast of Canada that ate enormous amount of seafood and exhibited excellent health.

Alex97232 likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse
    Does it follows that radiation used in food preservation is beneficial?

5. Denise0918

Denise0918 Gold

The hot springs in Bad Hofgastein Austria where I spent my childhood summers are touted as healing waters and it has a form of radiation ( radon, yes the one we are scared of here in our basements) in the water. So they have signs saying only stay in for no more than 20 minutes at a time. It is very popular there in the winter after a day on the slopes people go the hot springs outside and then roll in the snow and then jump back into the hot water. And they have a section to do this naked. My grandmother lived to be 96 bathing and drinking small doses of this water.
    https://www.gastein.com/en/therapy/therapies/vapor-baths/

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think it can be for some.

7. DLO

DLO StarFish

Thanks Jack never heard you explain it to this level.

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse
    In my working days, before 1997, I worked in maintaining working Nuclear Power Plants.
    During plant outage I would go to radiation areas to do my work.
    So I would be exposed to some radiation (all within established limits).

How would you grade that experience as far as its impact on my health?
    Was that a plus or minus?

//