1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Quickstart guide to Cold Thermogenesis

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Chrisgraff, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

2. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Cold Thermogenesis

• best used with the diet & sleep protocols.

• should be added gradually.

• only for those with Omega6/Omega3 ratio of less than 10:1. (ideal ratio = 4:1)

1. Face dunks

• Remove facial products and/or makeup.

• 50-55ºF ice water in big pot or sink.

• Eat a meal high in fat/protein shortly before.

• Drink 16-32oz ice-cold water immediately before.

• Dunk/hold face in water as long as you can hold your breath.

• Never allow skin to fall below 50ºF – Use Thermometer!

• Once daily for two weeks.

2. Wear compression shirt (ice, no water)

• tight compression shirt squeezes capillaries.

• Same preparation/precautions as face-dunking.

• Hold 20-40 lb bag of ice on torso (w/shirt).

• Increase 5 min each session (1 hour max).

• If skin temp/color gets too cold, take warm shower immediately.

3. Ice directly on skin (no water)

• Same preparations/precautions as #2.

• Hold 20-40 lb bag of ice on torso (no shirt).

• Monitor skin temperature – never lower than 50ºF.

• If you develop cold urticaria, stop CT.

4. Cold showers

• Optional transition to cold baths.

5. Cold bath

• Same preparations/precautions.

• Wear knitted hat, gloves, socks (for first week).

• Start with 68ºF to 72ºF tap-water (use unbagged ice if necessary).

• Gradually increase duration per session, (max 45 min then decrease temp).

• Gradually decrease temperature per session.

• Water never colder than 50ºF (thermometer).

Supplements to ease transition

• Fish oil + Krill oil

• Bitter melon, (two hours prior)

• Matcha green tea powder stirred in cold water prior to CT.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

My suggestion is to not progress too quickly. It takes the body a couple weeks to start adapting well. Don't get burned out before you even begin to see benefits!

4. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Great post! I would like to add a few things if you don't mind.

Ice baths - if 72 is too cold, start with 85 degree water and work your way down. The thermo-neutral point of water is said to be around 92 degrees (meaning your body is perfectly comfortable). At 80 degrees, your body HAS to increase metabolism to adapt to the water temp. If you can only do 70-80 degree water, that's OK, take it slow.

Signs - Your body will tell you if this is working. The first sign is goosebumps; when you see them, it means your body is reacting to the cold stimulus. The second is shivering; once you start shivering, your body is telling you it's too cold and is trying to warm up by rapidly contracting muscles. This is thought to be counter-productive to increasing BAT which acts in the non-shivering zone. Thirdly - white, numb fingers&toes. These are cause by constriction of the blood vessels to your extremities; it's the body's way of shutting off flow to unimportant areas to conserve core temp. This is a fairly normal, fairly harmless sign that you are adapting to the cold. If it happens, don't freak, flail and 'windmill' your arms around to get the blood back, but it should return to normal in 30 min to 1 hour on it's own. If numbness persists or fingers turn purple--see a doctor.

Hypothermia - A real danger! It can happen fairly quick in water colder than 60 degrees. First to go is your mental judgement, you may not realize what is happening until it's too late. Make sure you have a spotter with cold water. Nausea, dizzyness, mental confusion are all symptoms.

This from Wikipedia: Heat is lost more quickly in water[18] than on land. Water temperatures that would be quite reasonable as outdoor air temperatures can lead to hypothermia. A water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often leads to death in one hour, and water temperatures hovering at freezing can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes.[32] Water at a temperature of 26 °C (79 °F) will, after prolonged exposure, lead to hypothermia.[33]

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Death in one hour, AKMan? I didn't realize I was amazing!

6. AKMan

AKMan New Member

That's the CW on CT!

7. vwaggs

vwaggs New Member

Does anyone know if there is a benefit to wearing the compression clothes in the bath all the time? I have been using it to hold ice on the trouble areas as the water temp won't get down far enough to make my skin 50-55. I can ditch it if it isn't helpful. Such a pain to get "dressed" for the bath. Takes forever to shove all that ice in LOL! I put ice in the water as well but the temp is usually around 60.

8. cbelling

cbelling New Member

How many times in a session do you repeat the face dunk?

9. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

@waggs, I never bothered with the compression myself, opting instead for a t-shirt. That might have cost me an extra week to get adapted, but it seems to have worked out.

It concerns me seeing mishaps from others on this board (bruises, etc). Holding ice via compression shirt place seems like a perfect way to hurt yourself! So I vote no to that! ;-)

10. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

@cbelling I did it until the point of discomfort (ie ice-cream headache). Usually that worked out to be three times; each dunk shorter than the previous one.

11. I ended up getting a snorkel and leaving face in the icy water for up to 20 mins. I am still doing them a couple of times a week - I did note detox symptoms from doing that, so something was working.

However, there has been quite a bit of discussion on the relevance to the dive reflex. What I'm not sure about is if that initial dunk while holding breath (making sure you are in water from lips to just above hairline) is relevant to the adaptation process.

I ended up kind of enjoying my face dunks. I tell my family I can't respond to them and they must somehow survive the 20 mins without my verbal input! Perhaps that's just me ;)

12. shilohman

shilohman New Member

You now enjoy your face dunks, that is fantastic. I took it slow and now I enjoy my cold showers/baths.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Akman...thanks!!! for this post. I can ice parts of my body, do face dunk and take shower at about 65, with no problem, but the bath is where I am having a hard time. I will start tonight with water temp warmer then before. This will be my first bath after the one 2 weeks ago. Your suggestion, I am confident, will work for me. :)

14. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Here's a recommendation for newbies to CT. For your very first CT session, find a container big enough to stand in. Fill it with ice-cold water. Preferably knee-deep. Get that water as cold as you can, 32-33 degrees. Put in ice and cold water, the ice shouldn't melt, that's how cold you want it. You can even get it colder with salt! 31 degrees would be perfect.

Now, stand in the water. Note the feeling. It will feel like pin-pricks. The skin will turn brite red in about 30 seconds. Wiggle your toes. In about 2 minutes, they will be hard to wiggle as you lose motor control. Note how your ankles hurt, that's because they aren't protected by much muscle or fat. The pain will go away in a few minutes and numbness will take over.

Your first reaction will be to GET OUT. You may suck in your breath involuntarily, your heart may race. You might scream a little at first. Try to stay in at least 5 minutes. During this time, focus on your breathing. Pay attention to what this coldness feels like.

When you get out, let your feet drip-dry. Pay attention to how long it takes the redness to go away. You may notice goosebumps on your legs. A toe or two may turn white and go completely numb several minutes after you get out. This is OK, it will go away. If several toes go very numb, and you want feeling back quickly, soak your feet in some warm water for a few minutes. This is cause by your blood vessels constricting. You may also notice you start to shiver several minutes after getting out--usually not during. This is caused by the blood vessels opening back up and dumping that cold blood in your core, your body senses it and puts muscles to work to warm you up.

OK, so what did we just accomplish? You have just braved water that is as cold as any human (or any land mammal) has ever felt. Ever. Water has never been colder than this. And you survived. Do this a couple more times and you will find you can jump right in under a perfectly controlled situation. No yelping, gasping, wanting to jump out. Now that you know how the coldest water you will ever encounter feels, you are ready to proceed.

For your first big plunge, try 60 degree water--it will be like child's play compared to 32 degrees! I guarantee you will soon be down to 50 degrees and lower, and you will never get that nagging thought out of your head, 'what would a whole-body plunge at 32 degrees be like?'

I'm here to tell you, I did it this week--after CT'ing for about 2 months...and...It was awesome! The first night I stayed for 15 minutes, then warmed the water up to 55 degrees for another 30 minutes. The next night, I went 33 degrees for 45 minutes. Your legs will be stiff and you will shiver when you get out, but at least you'll know you can do it!

NOTE: Please ice responsibly, have a spotter and learn the signs of hypothermia--it's not worth die-ing over!

15. David

David Silver

Excellent advise, AKMan.

This is very much like the training suggested by Wim Hof and Justin Rosales in Becoming the Iceman. I just finished the section on using a bucket of ice water in the same manner that you suggest. I’m not certain that the book is all that enlightening for CT purposes, but from the narrative, I can see where my individual limits might be.