1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Quick mods to a great pork belly recipe

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by drezy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I haven't found most of my cooking tools yet Dan! .....we have been eating out more than I care to admit and I am really enjoying not being a kitchen slave! Of course, the problem is you don't really know what you are getting.
    A slotted baking sheet sounds like a great idea .....I try to stay away from kitchen shops tho - my credit cards can't stand the trauma! As we are living in a sub tropical place now - standing in front of a hot stove or oven isn't something I will do much [I hope] We made a fantastic lamb roast on our Weber babyQ at Christmas so that is the kind of thing we will do now.

I tend to make a sausage mixture and then make meatballs or patties and give the sausage stuffing equipment a miss!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Hi Audrey Do you mean you put it fat/skin side down first, then turn after 30 mins and bake for another 20 mins? We are having pork belly tonight and I simply ❤️ the crackling. Thanks!

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Sandra ......yes. Don't forget the salt and pepper and don't forget to put it on baking paper and pour off the fat when you are turning it. I think I do it for 30 min on the second side too. I will check the recipe and get back to you?

How are Nick and Jacqui doing? I miss hearing from him - say "Hi" from Tony and I.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

okay - I just checked the recipe. It is for thick cut pork belly slices - so I just cooked it a little longer.

Enjoy! let me know how you like .....

5. Sandra

Sandra New Member

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes

Nick and Jacqui are well - just really busy though I'd say. We all seem to be that which us of course good and bad!

I am looking forward to dinner now ... maybe I'll fry up some leafy greens in the excess fat??

Sheddie likes this.
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I always do a really big pork Belly and then slice thickly and refry for breakfasts ....enjoy!

Dev, Sheddie and drezy like this.
  7. Dev

Dev Gold

Hey everyone what do you add to your pork belly in terms of spices and herbs?

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

I love just salt and pepper ........

drezy likes this.
  9. freesia

freesia Old Member

Agreed it really doesn't need anything more than salt and pepper!!

Recently I've used thyme as well, because it's plentiful in my garden at the moment - and I love the smell of thyme cooking.
    I also made one batch with ginger (juiced/grated ginger root), cayenne pepper, salt and lime zest, and one time I added sweet paprika along with the salt and pepper. I've been using a low, slow cooking method. As well as nicely cooked pork you get an amazing gelatinous broth with a good layer of lard. :D

drezy likes this.
  10. Dev

Dev Gold

I persoanlly add tumeric in addition to salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, cumin powder, garlic.

Jack said in one post that tumeric is the best source of magnesium for humans when it is married to seafood or saturated fats to make DDW. Interested to know what foods people are adding tumeric to?

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes - I add tumeric too.