1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Quick mods to a great pork belly recipe

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by drezy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. drezy

drezy New Member

In a previous thread elsewhere on the forum ( https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...erium-depleted-water.20394/page-4#post-232020 ) I mentioned a great pork belly recipe I found online ( https://deadspin.com/how-to-cook-pork-belly-which-thoroughly-kicks-bacons-a-1619788169 ).

One modification to that recipe that makes it lower maintenance is to NOT brown the fat layer at first but do it at the end if needed. My oven may need temp calibration, but I kept getting semi-burnt and burnt top fat layers. So the mod looks like this:

1. Throw some dry brine (salt, sugar if desired, and spices) on the pork belly
    2. Let sit in fridge for 1h - 48hr
    3. Put on a rack(to let dripping fall below) in a broil pan (image below)
    4. Place the broil pan on the middle rack in 325F/160C/gas mark 3 oven (I still use a tin foil hat on top of it for now)
    5. Forget it even exists for 90 min and don't even look it's direction
    6. Pour 12oz/350mL of water in the bottom the broil
    7. Forget it even exists for 50 min and try not to even smell how great it smells
    8. Hit it with the broiler at the end and watch to get it as dark or light as you like
    Should look like this at the end:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danco3636, Rena3, Phosphene and 4 others like this.
  2. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Omg thank you! I just picked up a nice thick pork belly at WF today, and I was just about to ask for your recommendation on the best way to cook it! Can't wait to try this.

3. drezy

drezy New Member

The 2 hour 30 minute cook time is long but it's worth it.

I'm not sure if my oven is running too hot, but "crisping" at the end just makes it so much easier to make it taste as though you cooked it like a boss. Simplicity is something I've come to appreciate more and more over time.

4. drezy

drezy New Member

@Sheddie
    You tried the recipe from the site. Did your pork blacken a bit much? Help me be lazy and not have to calibrate my oven...

5. drezy

drezy New Member

I just did another batch the modified way. It's as easy as roasting marshmallows in the end:
    belly.jpg

Danco3636, Phosphene and JanSz like this.
  6. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Do you cut the slab into sections first? Mine is almost 3.5 lbs. Last time I cooked one I did it whole, but it could have been a bit crispier.

7. Sheddie

Sheddie Silver

Hi. First time to do a recipe I follow it to a T. Except, I had pre-sliced pork, the long side, and had to stack it with the 'streak o' lean' meat showing on top. No, it didn't blacken, had a good browning on it's top; still not not crispy enough for me and next time I'll broil at the end, or drain off some fat early. Maybe your oven is running hot for the initial 500deg start? (Or my oven runs cool?!) The Mod edit looks fabulous -- and especially the portioning for more surface exposed to crisp! Good to know the beer isn't essential.

8. drezy

drezy New Member

I do, but admit that it might not be optimal. I like some crisp but haven't "done the math" on how much good (low D)fat I lose. On my next iteration I think I'm going to try to pan sear it first hopefully cauterizing in all but the top fat layer.

Yeah I never bothered with that. Beer has always been a bloat promoter for me. Total beach body killer.

9. River

River Gold

Do you drizzle the drippings over the finished pork belly, or save it for later use?

10. drezy

drezy New Member

I found that right then and there is a great opportunity to reduce the drippings and strengthen the flavor.

Keep in mind that D2O has a higher boiling point (aka bye bye H2O first) so reduction all the way down to just well flavored fats might be a wise strategy. Water can always be added last minute.

Phosphene and Sheddie like this.
  11. caroline

caroline Moderator

What I do is even easier ........put the pork belly on baking parchment in a pan. Add salt and pepper and bake in preheated oven 400f for 30 minutes.
    Turn and pour off the fat - add salt and pepper and bake for another 20 - 30 minutes. Turns out perfect and crispy everytime!

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

13. drezy

drezy New Member

Good point Jan. Maybe whip the fat into a sauce.

14. River

River Gold

I made this using the recipe from the original post the other evening. Turned out delicious! The next day I sautéed shiitake mushrooms in the leftover pork fat and it was to die for. Where I live we have fresh, locally sourced pork belly available most days of the week and I plan on making this a regular meal, during the winter especially!

Theka, Phosphene and drezy like this.
  15. caroline

caroline Moderator

you only pour off the fat to make it crispy! of course you save the fat!!!!!

drezy likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy New Member

A baking pan with slots like the picture up in post #5 allows for maximum laziness in this regard.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

except - you have to clean the pan! That is why I put my pork belly on parchment paper and then pour off the fat half way thru - no pan to clean!

Anne V and drezy like this.
  18. drezy

drezy New Member

Paper beats rock

caroline likes this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Honestly - how I do the pork belly is so simple and so delicious and as good as much more complicated recipes .......in my opinion! But then - I am not a hatted chef like you Dan!

20. drezy

drezy New Member

LOL.

Oh stop. As if you weren't previously a restaurateur...

I just opted for stainless steel slotted baking sheets because they are a breeze to clean in a dishwasher. Maybe being a guy I have a lust for easy to clean steel.

Unless my son is helping I'm the only one that works in our kitchen. I once saw my wife chop an onion 16 years ago and let her know that I'd indefinitely be tackling kitchen duty (because I didn't want to age significantly before the first onion was fully chopped).

That allows me a bit of freedom of equipment choice. My new favorite is the sausage stuffer (as you'd expect it's a topic of endless jokes in my house now). Cascades of extremely immature innuendos aside, Jack answered a Q&A question for me that has me favoring house made sausage to protect the fats (versus house made bacon). I also get to choose my fat ratio. Obviously I push the limits.

Are you satisfied with your cooking tools in your new residence @caroline ?