1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Questions About Winter

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Eli Avital, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

I live in Toronto, Canada at 43.5 latitude.
    This winter will be the first that I am following jacks low carb and cold thermogenesis.
    I have done Keto before and I have also done ice baths, but have never put them together and utilized them during winter when we are supposed to.

I’m wondering how many carbs I should be having in around December, January and February when it is really cold out and lots of snow everywhere? I know people say just eat what you have seasonally, but somehow all the websites I check about seasonal produce say that sweet potatoes grow in the dead winter in Toronto. So obviously that doesn’t mean I should be having 400 grams of carbs from sweet potato.

Is it good to have pastureized water buffalo or sheep yogurt or kefir during the winter?

Is it good to have shirataki noodles during the winter? Or is this a mismatch because of the finer content?

I eat only grass fed, organic meat and only wild fish. But it is pretty expensive when I have to get it kosher.
    Is having non-grass fed, non-organic but extra lean beef bad once a week for example? But all the rest of my meat organic, grass fed?

2. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Ya I live north of T. Dont trust the seasonal guides you see online they are bullshit. Nothing is growing during dec jan feb unless its indoors. The stuff thats harvested the latest through the frost is usually brussel sprouts and pumpkins which Dr K has stated is lower in D because it can grow in low light conditions. Seaweed and mushrooms are available year round. I just follow the farmers market for seasonality and im only buying unsprayed produce from local farmers. I buy my meat in bulk directly from the farmer to save money on grass fed pastured animals. Your water can also have a seasonal change as we would preffer a lower D content. Whistler water is the lowest one I can find (132ppm) sold at stores here in ontario. Otherwise I get elmvale spring water (138ppm) and cut it slightly with qlarvia or similar brand.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

We have to tighten up the description of a low carb diet.
    Usually, that description means eating lots of muscle meat and some fat.
    What is missing is an emphasis on eating organs.

we are missing on minerals and other compounds, that are in liver, kidneys, heart, pancreas, thymus, thyroid, brains of animals

How to correct that?
    Liver and sometimes kidneys are available, but what about the rest?

4. JanSz likes this.
  5. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

We need to eat carbs mostly to keep alive and diverse microbiome. My approach is to have seasonable berries + greens. For example cranberries are dope, especially wild European species. They're small got a tons of antioxidants grow under low autumn UV and wild. So no pesticides / artificial light is used to grow. This might be other way in Canada.

There is a lot of studies on how ketogenic diets kills microbiome diversity. Still we don't need many carbs to keep it healthy, but we need proper carbs with
    cellulose. Btw don't make shakes with greens, eat them raw always, because bigger pieces will feed our friends in a lower gut.

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I think that you are referring to FOS or Inulin. (resistant starch)
    Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) are composed of short fructose chains.
    They are a type of carbohydrate called oligosaccharides.
    FOS occurs naturally in many plants, which include:
    • blue agave
    • yacon root
    • garlic
    • onion
    • leeks
    • chicory root
    • Jerusalem artichokes
    • asparagus
    • bananas
    Fructooligosaccharides are subtly sweet and low-calorie.
    They are nondigestible, so they don’t have an effect on blood sugar levels.
    FOS may also have multiple health benefits.
    ------
    Inulin is a soluble fiber found in many plants.
    Your gut bacteria convert it into short-chain fatty acids, which provide several health benefits.
    -------
    Short-chain fatty acids, also referred to as volatile fatty acids, are fatty acids with two to six carbon atoms. Free SCFAs can cross the blood-brain barrier via monocarboxylate transporters.

@YuriyDorogoy
    Wonder if you can say something about short chain fatty acids?
    One, Butyric Acid (C4:0)
    is highly beneficial
    and
    highly erradicated from foods (because its presents causes spoilage)

///////////////

Helio Silva likes this.
  7. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Butyric acid... food for the colon
    glutamine.. food for the small intestines.

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

You know more than average Joe.
    Open up.
    Say more, make it into relevant cornucopia.
    upload_2019-10-10_13-28-53.png

drezy likes this.
  9. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

I wouldn't suggest to search for inulin in food (like garlic, artichokes, onion, bananas) it's very powerful food source for microbiome, so in case of any dysbiosis it will be a good energy source for pathogens. I think we will find FODMAPs in food any way (except processed food). Same with butyric acid, as long as we keep our microbiome fed and diverse our intestinal bacteria will produce butyric acid.

The species of bacteria involved in the production of butyrate are Clostridium spp., Eubacterium spp., Fusobacterium spp., Butyrivibrio spp., Megasphaera elsdenii, Mitsuokella multiacida, Roseburia intestinalis, Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and Eubacterium hallii

What I believe now is proper light create proper sleep => proper sleep, activity during day, red light, unprocessed veggies and berries => healthy diverse microbiome => create many SCFAs, B12, folic acid, thiamine and many more. All this chain is so smart, so dynamic and complex so I don't believe we can make it better by supplementing this cycle. Except prebiotics which is simply food. We're simply not there yet, we have something around 2000 species in our gut, and our best guess is quantative analysis of something around 50 species + 5 families.

10. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Lol...ok I’ll do.

JanSz likes this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thank you for this and the rest of your post.
    ----
    The reason I picked this line is that you are listing red light.

It looks like we here are going through phases.
    There was a time on this board, when exposure to UV, mostly described as black light, no details, would guarantee at least 20 years of good health (on average). When a large team of working peoples would stay healthy newer, asking for sick days.

12. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Still a big fail because of the lack of calcium. Carnivores don't eat "meat", they eat whole animal. So the organs you mention but also all the other tissue parts. Including bone. Because lots of muscle meat but no bone creates a critical imbalance in phosphorus (very high in meats) v. calcium. Baby hawks and owls fed just hamburg develop rickets very quickly. It's also an issue if rawfeeding cats (obligate carnivore) - their diet needs balanced calcium and phosphorus (mine get thawed whole mice and small quail). We need calcium too. Doesn't have to be dairy, but if so it involves a considerable amount of veggies, like broccoli.

Some bone may be consumed in eating fish but if that is your only source of calcium you should do some calculations to make sure you're getting enough. Unless you want to take a calcium source and we're told on this forum that shouldn't be necessary. Well, only if you're getting enough in your diet. What we think of as a seasonal winter diet up north here won't have much.

As far as organs, they're probably more nutritious in their own way than muscle meat.

13. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

I'm doing both actually UV blacklight and Red-IR incandescent at home. But as I understand UV-A have close to none penetration depth it's only a melatonin / circadian hack for an eye. But IR can signal directly to the gut https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30074108 So I'm not sure which one is a stronger factor: proper sleep or red light therapy. But since it's fixed my gut I'm trying to keep both in my life

JanSz likes this.
  14. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

I believe that black light UV-A regenerates melanopsin in the skin also. If you live in a blue lit world i would agree to the benefits of IR light on the gut, and I also agree its probably both IR and sleep. proper seasonal food + proper seasonal light on your surfaces (skin/eye) = boat load of neurotransmitter production to optimize sleep given the season. Winter = higher amounts of melatonin than summer.

YuriyDorogoy and JanSz like this.
  15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Yes,
    I could do better on calcium.
    What would you suggest?

upload_2019-10-10_15-50-54.png

16. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Bone broths for the mother fucking win..

There is some thought of adding a touch of apple cider vinegar to influence ph and prep absorption...

Hilde and drezy like this.
  17. drezy

drezy New Member

Mmmmm I haven't made one for 2 weeks. I think I'll make a big batch soon.

18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Now you are talking. Thanks

19. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

And add seafood exoskeleton AT WILL. Per jacks teachings.

drezy likes this.
  20. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Life goals

drezy likes this.