1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Questions about Metformin for those in the know :)

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Ok I have been taking it and so far like it. I havent tracked my BG very much yet which is fine bc apparently it can take weeks or even months to make a difference. I'm using Obimet brand 500x2 (morning and evening). I had very mild GI issues that went away after a few days but then the extreme fatigue kicked in. That went away too luckily (although now I am fatigued AGAIN bc I'm am weaning off my HC slowly and it always takes a week or so for my hromones to catch up).

How did you guys decide on 1000 perday? I am asking bc some PCOS boards I've trolled, have all said the min. effective dose is usually around 1500? Any thoughts?

Also - finally seeing my Dr in person. Hoping they will legitimize this and perscribe it to me so I wont have to go through the trouble of getting it elsewhere.

The positive I noticed, is that every once in a while, I would have MAJOR food cravings - this has pretty much eliminated that compeltely (so far anyway) Its def a nice side effect. Can't wait to see if it starts to impact my BG.

2. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

So I finally had my talk with the NP (not my normal doc). She suggested berberine instead if metformin and basically refused to prescribe it. She said that based on my glucose tolerance test I am hypoglycemic and metformin wouldn't help and also make me worse. That to me showed a lack of understanding on how the met works ((I tried explaining how it works at the liver and also mentioned endocrinologists actually prescribe it to treat hypo glycemia). So I guess I'm on my own with it and will just ask the next doc. So frustrating!

She suggested 6 small snacks a day to control it. Honestly since being on met I've not felt the need to do any snacking so to me it seems to be helping. Ugh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I wonder this as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

MEgan - follow your instincts with the met - you know your body better than anyone else. trust what its telling you

5. persistence

persistence New Member

nuttmegs17, what is your A1C corresponding to that FBG of 99?

Do you measure glucose before and after meals during the day?

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a single fasting blood glucose. I have had days where I wake up with fasting glucose at 78, it goes to 105 with no food, it goes to 140 with protein, and then starts to cycle down. After taking too much alpha lipoic acid and walking for 40 minutes, two hours after a meal I can get to 69. There is no way that taking a single number by itself would give you a picture. A1C at least gives you an average glucose level and that is what the population studies are against.

See other thread I posted showing data of a user with FBG of 99 who ended up having extremely low blood sugar:

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-carb-insulin-resistance.8934/page-7#post-116121

6. So does Jack support Metformin? I can't get my head around this drug, and this thread is the best stuff on the net in regards to Metformin. I was curious what Jack's take on it is.

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yes Jack does support metformin as it supports ETC Across Cytochrome 1 and 2

8. Thanks. That is good info. I have tried it but the side effects are horrid. Do they pass?