1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Questions about Metformin for those in the know :)

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Quick question. I just met with my Thyroid Doc (who assists me with most things). He didnt perscribe me metformin only bc he's unfmailiar with using it and instead referred me to another Doc in the practice. He made it sound like she will most likely want me to do a 4 hour glucose test...I'm not a big fan of those. Taking a big whollop of glucose when you are low carb seems silly (who WOULDNT spike with that?). Is there anything I can say or use as an argument against this if it happens? My appt with her is on Tues so I just want to be prepared :)

I want to avoid unnecessarily high glucose numbers following me around for life

2. andee

andee Silver

Nuttmegs, just came across this thread and, as I take T3 (cytomel) for hypothyroid and have been on Met for 4 years and Cycloset for a few months thought I'd report in. Until I started doing very low carb about 18 months ago, I couldn't see where Met had much effect on my blood glucose, similar to Destiny's experience. However, also like her, once I went low carb I got results. Specifically A1c went from 7.2 (scary) to the most recent 6.2, which for a t2d is pretty great. I take the Metformin extended release version, 1000 mg 2x/day (2000 mg/day is typically the highest dose prescribed). Have never had any side-effects from it. FYI, Life Extension is totally pro Metformin for everyone as a way to prevent insulin resistance and generally as an anti-aging boost.

Though Metformin helped my overall blood sugar, my a.m. fasting was always between 140-160 no matter what I ate or didn't eat the night before. It is scary to eat nothing for 12-15 hours and have such a high reading. Two hours after breakfast my bg would be lower than first thing in the am. Dr. K recommended Cycloset, which I began several months ago. I had to raise it slowly because it took my doc a while to get onboard but now I am on 5/day, and my am fasting bg now runs 97-110 on, no change in diet. I've never had side effects from the Cycloset either. Have not had a new A1C test since starting Cycloset,will do next month.

With epi-Paleo, Metformin, and Cycloset I believe I will actually cure myself of t2d. Of course I don't have Hashis which is a whole different thing from hypothyroid, but I do believe that Metformin and Cycloset are an amazing combo for diabetes or pre-diabetes. I was able to persuade my doc re Cycloset by printing out some of the drug info from the website. Bromocryptine has been around for a while. Good luck!! P.S. If you're not familiar with www.stopthethyroidmadness.com it's an excellent resource. Good luck!

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

wow -thanks for the info, Andee! I am so glad to see that everything started to click for you and believe you are right about beating T2D.

Thanks for the positive experience with metformin too. I know its something i want to try but have been scared about side effects. I'm happy to hear you didnt really experience any. I have not crossed C off my list yet but figure if my doc is that iffy about even giving me met, then it will take a WHILE to get him onboard with it. however, if I need it to get results, i will push to take it.

keep us posted on your new a1c reading!

4. andee

andee Silver

Let us know what your doc says. If you start on Met at a low dose and slowly raise it, that can give your body time to get used to it - if you're sensitive to it. I'm a lot older than you, and I think you're brilliant to be thinking about taking steps now - because I was in serious denial about my bg for a few decades.... yes, will report back on the a1c, thank you for mentioning it.

5. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Thanks - Ive been in denial a bit about it myself. I used to have fbg in the 70s but when i got on meds for my thyroid things got wonky. i wont be off those meds either so i want to tackle this.

My Dr is onbboard...eventually First they want to do a 4 hour glucose test. Sigh - I hate it bc its got corn syrup I believe. I wish there was a way around it. What can it possibly show?

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

nuttmeg, do you keep a log of your morning FBG? I did that for myself and knew that something needed to be done. Your doctor should come to the same conclusion when you show him your log.

7. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I did and agree 100%. I think she is just used to the typical do x first, y second then give met. I think she assumed I was a typical patient that hasnt done research etc so is going through the routine paces. but maybe I'll call back and push harder. ie. If I keep a log for a week showing you all the BG readings, can we work around the 4 hour test? I am just really hesitant to ingest that garbage and I told her I suspect a corn allergy so that would throw off the readings anyways. plus if i ingest a bunch of glucose after being lowcarb wont that show wonky readings anyway? i'd hate to have an unnaturally high reading on my records

she mentioned my cholesterol was high but at least understood that the typical LDL reading can't be trusted and it was good that my triglicerides were low and HDL was high. She was disappointed that my other Dr ran the CRP test and the high sensitivity CRP test etc (so she's running that). all good things. She also understood that 99 wasn't good and 2 other Drs of mine said 99 FBG was nothing to worry about. so i feel good about her overall. hopefully she'll get onboard with the rest of it.

Ill keep you posted!

8. andee

andee Silver

Good plan

Yes, I agree with you and Destiny on keeping a record. I would call back and offer to bring the log instead. Ask them what times they want you to check - they might want a reading every hour for 4-5 hours after a big meal, for example, which mimics the GTT. You might also explain that you don't eat many carbs so a test performed on a high dose of carbs isn't really necessary.

A lot of what you say about this doc sounds great, e.g., that she gets it that 99 is not good. I have found that when I say no to a doc and have a good reason, they accept it - truth is, they can't force you to take the GTT, and although they might say they wouldn't then treat you for borderline high bg I doubt it very much - I've been saying no to docs for 40 + years, and they almost always agree to do it my way.

If for some reason they did insist on the GTT you could decide to have it if you wanted to.

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You are correct that your GIT results would be wonky. If I remember correctly, you would need to eat at least 150 g of carbs for 4 days to get the realistic results about your glucose levels.

10. andee

andee Silver

Reporting in on A1c as promised: in 3 mos. A1c has dropped from 6.2 to 5.9. Cycloset and Metformin are a rocking combination! So grateful to Dr. K and this community.

11. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Ugh. Still working on this. I went to just go ahead and do the 4 hour (which seems excessive in my honest opinion) the other weekend and was turned away. I called the hospital the day before to see if I needed an appt and they said it was walk in. So I fast, get up early and head over and that's when I find out its only for pregnant women. They would only do mine if I made an appt during the week. Problem, is I'm still in busy season and traveling and the likelihood for me to get a good half day off anytime soon is not good

This is so freaking annoying. I called my drs office to explain and they said they would not prescribe without it. I kinda want to take the metformin I bought but then that would probably screw the results when I actually take it down the line. Ha. They said my fasting blood glucose is not something that diet can't change. What the frick do they think I'm eating?!!! I thought I made it clear before

Or maybe I'll just take it and come clean with my new conventional med doc (need to find a new gyno) and get them to prescribe it. Not sure....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I just buy it and take it on my own. I get enough hassle from my doctor in getting T3.

I measure my FBG every morning. I believe that is a sufficient control for me.

13. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

SUPER tempted Destiny....

14. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I don't blame you ......one more thing ....Lauren found somewhere that Metformin might decrease your B12 so you should monitor that if you start taking it.

15. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Good point. I've increased supp with that anyway but will monitor. Is there a blood test I should consider?

16. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Just ask your doctor to check your B12 levels.

18. Destiny

Destiny New Member

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Here's my thought's on this.... if you're using metformin to lower FBG - then this might be important. however, if your using metformin to help reduce leakiness in cytrochrome 1 - then I'm not sure if its all the same. b/c metformin - as I understand it not only works at cytochrome 1 but at the liver to support PEPCK b/c the liver is where you're actually both leptin and insulin resistant if your a diabetic or have PCOS.... if you use metformin for addressing leakiness at cytrochorme 1 it will help your liver recover it's leptin and insulin sensitivity faster.....

Melanie Procter likes this.
  20. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Interesting point! It seems that metformin has a lot of positive things going for it outside of FBG. A couple more questions ...

1. Is their anything negative beside B12 I should consider? If I start taking it can it perm mess up any function I'm unaware of which would make me dependant on it? Could have sworn I heard Chris Kessler mention something about people on metformin messing something up but google hasn't been able to turn anything up so perhaps I dreamed this ha

2. Bc I'm considering just taking it w/o doing the glucose test would being on metformin make it impossible for me to ever take it?