1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Questions about Metformin for those in the know :)

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Geesh. Waited 2 days for an update by Dzugan and all they did was add 200 mg of Chromium (which is already in one of my supps) to address the glucose.

Off to send in another update...

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

IKWYM. He wants me to update him when I have a migraine or crappy sleep... Considering I had crappy sleep last night, and I still have the migraine... from earlier in the week. looks like he's due another update...

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Yikes - I hope your consult with jack addresses those d@#n migraines! Wow.

Ok all, what KIND of metformin are you on? Brand? Generic? Extended release? regular?

4. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Generic metformin, 500mg am and pm.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Generic, regular, 500 mg twice a day - AM and PM.

6. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Do you guys know if the generic is gluten free? I know the band name is and the extended release is supposed to be "easier" - any reason for the generic vs brand vs release? Just curious I tend to react badly to meds so was leaning towards name brand extended relase :)

Thank you!

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Mine is from online pharmacy. It was made by Apotex, NZ. I wanted to avoid the hassle with my GP. I just concentrate to get my T3 from him.

In regards to the release form it might be true. It doesn't say gluten free but it doesn't mean it is not. If you want the online pharmacy link, PM me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm taking 1000mg w/dinner... this morning fbg was 84! Win...

9. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I actually just bought some from on an online pharmacy as well. Brand, regular (not extended release) 500 mg....It takes several weeks to arrive so i placed it now in case my Dr drags his feet. He usually listens to me and gives me what i want since i tend to bring research to back me up but just in case, I decided to place an order. i'm hoping he doesnt make me do some sort of glucose tolerance test were you drink all that nasty crap. Ive been tracking my FBG in the meantime so i have data.

did you go through Escrow refills?

Gretchen - thats awesome!!! in the 80s is great

10. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

oh! is yours extended release gretchen - is that why you take it once?

11. diane

diane Gold

Just got my prescription today after my dr. appointment. She's recommended 500mg twice a day.

12. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Good luck, I hope it works for you Diane . Hopefully you'll be seeing numbers in the 80s soon as well :) Are you doing extended release tabs or reg?

13. diane

diane Gold

I'm actually not sure - the bottle doesn't say.

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I am taking the ER... but my dosing is based off intuition... when I follow it I do better...

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Nuttmegs, I went through In-house. Their prices are good. My FBG is in 70's now but it is not just due to the metformin. It is in a combination with a keto diet as well.

16. diane

diane Gold

I've been on Metformin for 3 days. In September, my TOM started lasting for 9+ days (yikes). TOM started the day before I started Metformin - so started on Day 2 of cycle. This is the first time since September that TOM lasted 5 days (which was normal for me). But have also started thyroid meds - so not sure what shortened it. I know my doctor says that she uses it to help with irregular cycles - so maybe that's it. I've done some searching but not quite sure what about it will impact the cycle, other than the impact that blood glucose has on it.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

BG has a huge impact on TOM because estrogen is pro growth........and pro TOM. Progesterone is anti-uterine growth.......and pro placental growth.

18. diane

diane Gold

Taking this is a sign that my PG/E ratio is out of whack, and will need to increase progesterone. Don't have lab results yet - will in a few weeks.

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Ok, so can one assume then that if TOM isn't coming or is extremely light that they are low estrogen? Or is that simplifying things too much??

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

My N=1 FBG rises as Pg drops the last 5 days of my cycle, and stays up for the first 5 days of the new cycle. Since I have PCOS I have both estrogen dominance and Testosterone Dominance. so for me as Pg Drops, increasing T and E cause FBG to be higher...