1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Question on Smart Meters

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by scottyc, Mar 3, 2014.

1. scottyc

scottyc New Member

Hi,

New to the forum - learning as much as I possibly can.
    So, I have a "smart meter" on my the house I recently purchased in here in sunny Phoenix, Arizona.
    It is an Elster R2SD:
    http://www.bestenergymonitor.com/energy_monitoring_news/post_535.html
    Utility company info here:
    http://apsmeters.com/pdfs/Automated-Meters-Radio-Frequency(1).pdf

I have taken readings outside in front of the meter with my TES 92, and do not detect elevated RF readings when holding the TES 92 right in front of the meter. To me this supports the utility company's claim, that the meter only transmits sparingly.
    The other thing that is making me not rush to sell my house, is the meter is all the way on the other side of my house away from where I sleep (on a magnetico) and is shielded by the metal on the circuit box.

However, in the spirit of trying to minimize any and all exposure, I am considering additional shielding. I found this:

However, I had an EMF consultant tell me that:

that "if they (the meter) uses cellular technology, you may increase the RF emissions from the meter by covering it up".

Frankly, I don't understand what that means exactly.

The manufacturer of the item responded with the following:

"1. We have done a lot of research on the internals of the smart meter and have found that they all have a 3 to 5 watt transmitter. This means they transmit, using RF at the same power levels and do not compensate for weak signals to the utility companies. Basically, with this power level all smart meters can transmit a signal about 25 miles or so. There is no indication on the electrical circuit that they increase power. Even it they did, it would be to a maximum power level of 4 to 5 watts.

The risk in blocking the RF is that if someone doesn't know what they are doing, which you see on a lot of home made shields, is that you can reflect and or concentrate the RF where you don't want it. There are two basic ways of shielding RF. One is "reflective" which is sheet metal or foil. This reflects the RF and if you don't know what you're doing you can reflect or concentrate it where you don't want it. The second method is "absorption" where the RF waves are absorbed into the shielding material and are shunted to ground. This is metal screening or basically a Faraday cage. This is what the Smart Meter Guard is.

2. The majority of smart meters do not transmit all the time. We have found that most smart meters transmit their data about every 20 to 40 seconds and they do this with very short pulses or bursts. This is why you don't get a reading on your high frequency analyzer. If you were to measure for a minute or two you would see your meter spike very briefly when the meter transmits. The problem is that it does this at high RF power and if you are near it you get exposed to these bursts of RF power. Also, there are some smart meters that are what's called a "collector" meter. These meters collect data from your neighbors and then transmit the all data to the utility company. These meters transmit almost constantly. Luckily, it sounds like you don't have one of these."

So this is a long first thread - :)

Does anybody have any opinions on the relative risks of these meters and the benefits of additional shielding?

I find comments such as "smart meters are horrible" to be unhelpful, since it is clear in my cursory research, that different meters use very different technology.

Thanks!

Scotty

2. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

Scotty, make sure you are signed up for the Optimal Reset. Tomorrow's webinar is with Michael Neuert, our resident EMF expert. You can ask him these questions! There is also an EMF Bootcamp that has TONS of great info ...

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

The TES92 only measures RF up to 3.5 GHz? I wonder what frequency is being used? If you can rent one that goes up to 8 GHz you might detect something else.

4. Inger

Inger Silver

I think the main problem with smart meters are, they send those signal "bursts" all around your house in the wiring day and night and that is what makes them so dangerous.
    I might be wrong here but this is the picture I have in my head...

I have a question too.

For those who have destroyed their meter manually (like Jack), what happened? Did the electricity shut off in the whole house? or was the meter just not able to count anymore.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Nothing happens...........except that your radiation levels drop

6. scottyc

scottyc New Member

Hmm - according to the first link I posted:

"My R2SD is commonly referred to as a "REX2". It contains (2) radios. The first radio is a 2-way 900mHz radio wihich is used as part of an automated meter reading system (AMR) called EnergyAxis. So with a radio in the meter, my meter becomes part of a network of smart meters which report to a master Alpha A3 meter also located in my neighborhood"

So I would think it would be picked up by the TES 92.

I attached a pic, if anybody happens to have the same meter.

I went to the FCC page to try to get more info:
    http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

But of course, I get an error when trying to search for that meter by it's FCC ID: QZC-RX2EA4

Attached Files:

7. scottyc

scottyc New Member

I actually found the RF Exposure report on the FCC website (attached).

1.5.2 Output Power into Antenna & RF Exposure value at distance 20cm:

Calculations for this report are based on highest power measurement and the highest gain of the antenna.
    Limit for MPE (from FCC part 1.1310 table 1) is ƒ (MHz) / 1500 = 927.6 / 1500 = 0.62 mW/cm2

Highest Pout is 250mW, highest antenna gain (in linear scale) is 3.27, R is 20cm, and f = 927.6 MHz

Pd = (250*3.66) / (1600π) = 0.182 mW/cm2, which is 0.438 mW/cm2 below to the limit.

OK so if my conversion math is correct 0.182 mW/cm2 = 1820mW/m2.

So while that seems high, it is at 20cm away from the meter. I should definitely be picking that up with the TES 92.

I still can't find anywhere, how often it transmits though :(.

Attached Files:

8. scottyc

scottyc New Member

So, I called the utility to find out how many times the meter actually transmits and was given the run around.

The answer was "several times a day, for a total of 15 minutes a day". No definition of 'several' was given. No information about the length of each transmission was given.

"That is all the information we have sir" was the stock answer beyond that.

What pisses me off, is apparently they will allow you to opt out and go to analogue - but they tack on up front fees, monthly fees and usage rates will be higher.

9. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

No use wasting energy on resisting. Worth it.

10. Terminator

Terminator New Member

Dr. Kruse,
    How did you destroy the smart meter ? Did you destroy it completely or just the part that sends the signal ?

11. scottyc

scottyc New Member

This is an old thread - but I'm bumping it because it appears you were correct: