1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

question for those who No-Poo or do limited -Poo

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Shijin13, Oct 31, 2012.

1. FarmersDaughter

FarmersDaughter New Member

Yes, but my hair doesn't like it....it was greasy and staticy....really lovely. :cool:

i need Lots of moisture and lots of protein, and no humectants unless its raining. Cocoa butter is good in uber small amounts though.

Kinky curly curling custard gives me the best hair days. Well worth the money in my book.

Kl, what is this facial mud you speak of? Terressentials type, or?

You guys should look up terreseesentials...it's intriguing stuff. I sampled it and it was cool...worked good.

2. For me, I was trying to cut out all products to see if au natural was a good look for me.

Also, the obvious benefits of less chemicals/cheaper.

I had read that red-heads with curlyish hair looked really great going no poo. Soft frizzless curls and natural waves.

I expected men to fall at my feed in worship. It didn't happen, so I went back to just a little poo on the part to keep me from looking skankerrrrific.

3. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I used to wash/dry/style every single day, but several years ago, I went 2-3 days in between. Now I go about 4-5 days. I've used Wen, which I do like, but it's so darn expensive.

I've read about the Suave coconut conditioner-only method on a skincare board, actually. Thanks Cavemam for reminding me...I'm going to try it.

Going 4-5 days does not make me feel dirty at all. I do still use hairspray every day, as I have thin, lifeless, flyaway hair and I have to curl, style, and spray to avoid the drowned-rat look!

4. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

Oh, and so the funniest thing is...

When I first read the thread title, I thought it was about the other kind of poo.... hee hee

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Damn, I'm a biochemist...I know I can come up with a rip-off formula for Wen that we can all make at home! I'll let you know when I've done it.

LBK likes this.
  6. stacyj

stacyj New Member

Thanks for this recommendation! Going less chemical and more natural for skin and hair care is high on my list! Just using CO for moisturizer on my face has almost completely ended the breakouts I have been suffering from- trying to get my 19 year old convinced that adding more oil to her face is not a bad thing! Now with the change from summer weather to winter weather makes it a good time to change- since I have to anyway....

7. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

I use the cucumber WEN since the original is too heavy for my baby fine and now thin head of hair. If I wear it straight I can wash every other day to maybe a third day but if I wear it curly I can stretch it to 3-4 days pretty easily, especially in this weather. Harder to do in the summer. I've tried no-poo a couple times before and it just didn't work. I don't have a lot of hair so it was always obvious and greasy after 2 days in addition to the ends being dry while an oil slick up top. Maybe I'll try it again. My hair is so fine and curly (delicate) that the products seem to provide more moisture and structure yet I do have some new hair growth coming in. I've yet to find a hair happy place. I'll look into the suave and maybe sea essence products & perhaps give then a whirl. Keep the ideas coming!

8. Go Kathylu!!!! Could you figure out a "recipe" for the other stuff? I make it, but I can't seem to be bothered to measure and record! I need a partner in crime.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so after yesterday's extra moisture treatment w/cavemam's home made moisturizer - I got up this am and use some regular shampoo I still had left over, and some bamboo powder and scrubbed my scalp good. by the end of that my hair was a tangle of knots. I had to use some wen, so I could comb through the rats nest. my hair is obviously hooked on silicone!

crazy thing - at work today ppl keep asking me if I got highlight, or had my hair colored... nope, just got it really clean.

the stuff I ordered yesterday has been shipped. I If it works I'll use the shampoo/rinse/conditioner on the days we go swimming, and use the rinse/conditioner for my mid-week 'poo. I'll even take the stuff w/me for when I get my hair cut...

10. FarmersDaughter

FarmersDaughter New Member

Www.essentialwholesale.com is a good place to buy ingredients...they have an aloe Vera gel (and a lavender gel) that is nice and light for keeping the frizz/static factor down.

Stacyj...look up oil cleansing method and show her. That'll help convince her.

11. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I agree. I did oil cleansing method on my face for a while (way before I went paleo) and it really helped a lot. Now I don't even have to do that - I just rub my face with lukewarm water in the shower every morning, then moisturize with a little coconut oil directly after my shower, and I'm good to go. I exfoliate with a tiny bit of baking soda mixed with water once every week and a half to two weeks, depending on if I feel like I need it or not.

Also, I've found that if I wear makeup (which is rare), coconut oil and a bit of tissue takes it right off, quick as you like. It appeals strongly to my deep sense of laziness...:D

12. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Yes, please do it! I've tried several "natural" shampoos and haven't been satisfied. Maybe it's addiction from silicone but my hair is a mess after using them. I've down to shampooing 2-3 times a week but can't seem to go less often than that.

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I don't even know what Wen is. But I want to buy whatever you make, Kathylu! Make sure you have an international shipping option, please.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I use poo...........but not sure why?

Matty_M likes this.

15. Jack, we are talking about SHAMpoo.

16. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

So you use 'poo but not soap? Mismatch? :)

17. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Ok girls, my initial thoughts on Wen: It's basically a conditioner with added astringent herbs...no soap, or detergent, but plenty of humectants (attract water) and silicones, which I am sure is responsible for the silky, addictive feel and the detangling action. I also noticed that it has a number of questionable ingredients...the main silicone (amodimethicone) is not even on the GRAS list (generally recognized as safe) of cosmetic ingredients. So, it is pretty loaded with chemicals and preservative agents...not exactly a "natural" product, no matter what their claims are.

I am thinking I will try an initial formulation of a humectant (glycerin), an astringent (aloe vera juice) and a conditioner (my favorite...coconut oil!), lavender essential oil for nice fragrance and possibly a touch of liquid castile soap for a cleansing agent. I know the idea is to get away from soaps, so I'll try a version with and without to compare. There are a number of "tweaks" that can be done, but I think it is better to keep it simple, cheap and natural if possible. Cosmetic preservatives are a nasty business, but if you are making this in reasonably sized batches at home, you won't need a preservative. I'll try to stay away from silicones, but to be honest, the formula may need a touch for the smoothing and detangling action.

Wow, where will I get test subjects? Well, me to start with...maybe hubby and son...look out!

18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm in. well maybe - I'll let you know after I receive my miessence on Monday - check out the ingredients to their conditioner it might give you some ideas for the wen product... http://bodysoul.mionegroup.com/products/productDetail.jsf?item=12301

when I get the products in, I'll copy down the entire ingredient list, and send it to you so it can help w/your science project

while I love the idea of the CO - its almost too heavy for my hair - unless I'm doing a moisturizing treatment, like I did earlier this week.

you know btwn cavemam's moisturizer, a "wen" like knock off that's 100% natural - we might be able to come up w/our own beauty company and develop a brand and start selling it! Just a thought ladies.... Cavemam is our marketing guru, I'm the Logistician, Kathylu is our biochemist, all we need is ppl to sell what we make! What's the name of our brand?

19. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Also, here are the ingredients of my shampoo. Today I did not use any conditioner and probably won't need to as my hair gets healthier.

https://www.morroccomethod.com/

Water (Aqua)

Whole Leaf Aloe Vera (Microcystis purifera)

Marine Proteins of Kelp (Macocystis Pyrifera), Nori (Porphyra Laciniata), and Kombu (Laminaria Japonica)

Shea Butter (Vitellaria Paradoxa)

Horsetail (Equisetum)

Nettle (Urtica Dioica)

Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium)

Comfrey (Symphytum)

Cherry Bark (Prunus Seotina)

Fucus (Fucus Vesiculus)

Blood of the Dragon Rare Proteins (Jatropha Dioica)

Cactus (Opuntia Engelmanii)

Green Tea (Thea Sinensis)

French White and Green Healing Clays

Klamath Falls Blue Green Algae (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae)

Crystals from Tibet liquefied into a Crystalline Solution

Essential Oils of Wold Rose (Rosa Acicularis), Moroccan Jasmine (Jasminum), Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha), Frankincense (Boswellia Carterii), and Mediterranean Olive Oil (Olea Europeae)

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Acetic Acid)

92 Trace Minerals and Rare Plant/Marine/Fruit Proteins as Natural Preservatives