1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

question for those who No-Poo or do limited -Poo

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Shijin13, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So right now I 'Poo my hair 2x/week with wen. I'm trying to cut back to 1x/week. the past couple of weeks I've been washing Sundays (After swimming) and Wednesdays. This week I washed my hair on Sunday. While I needed to wash my hair today I didn't. Instead I rinsed it, and then put some of my home made moisturizer (CO, Cacao Oil, Macadamia Nut oil, and Shea butter) in my hair, dried it then pulled it back into a low pony tail. I figured since it was already oily from my natural oils, an little extra wouldn't hurt!

Tomorrow I'll wash with Wen. and see how it goes. I figure I'll do this for a couple of weeks, then move my wash to Friday, then hold off to wash until Sunday.

I'm not sure I'll every go fully no-poo, but I can manage the 1x/week with the wen.

When you went no-poo how long did it take for you oil gland to slow down? and how do you keep from looking like your hair is a bit dirty (even though it isn't)?

What does your no-poo or limited poo routine look like?

I've got tons of super baby fine hair - so even the littlest bit will make it look dirty. I'm also trying to grow out my hair b/c I've decided longer hair will be easier to deal with vs short hair

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Wen is loaded with silicones, or was last I checked into it, so it will likely never give your hair a chance to get totally clear of gunk. Silicone attracts dust and dirt particles, which is what makes your hair look dirty and feel weighed-down.

I've just recently gone no-poo again after a long hiatus (I had cut my hair really short and got sold on some styling products that I didn't need and...yeah. I was no-poo for almost a year before that). I use Suave Naturals coconut conditioner every other day and nothing else. On the in-between days, I just wash with water. If you are careful to really massage your scalp all over really well with your fingertips and RINSE RINSE RINSE, water will usually suffice, at least for me. I have baby-fine hair as well. The first time I went no-poo it took about a week to get my hair to a point where I was comfortable with how it looked, but I also had no idea what I was doing. This time around, it's been fine from the get-go...no greasies, no itchies, no frizz...just shiny, silky, pretty hair with much more wave to it.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

4. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I've never heard of that stuff. I like the Suave coconut conditioner - easy to find, and super cheap. A big bottle is $1.50 at WalMart. Can't beat it, especially since I need a TON - a whole handful per wash for my shoulder-length hair.

If you're switching from Wen to something else, I'd get a little bottle of SLS-containing shampoo and wash with that a few times before you go truly no-poo. You need the SLS to strip the built-up silicones off your hair. Some people just use baking soda and rinse with ACV and say that gets all the silicones out, but I found that with my thick, super-fine hair, I really did need the SLS shampoo to strip first.

Also, what I do is technically called co-washing or conditioner-washing. I think MamaGrok is straight-up no-poo and she's said that over time her hair became totally self-cleaning.

5. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I went from WEN to Morrocco Method. It took me at least a week to get past the greasiness. I really like it and it is very natural. I like the Heavenly Chi and the Sea Essence. I do use a very little bit of their cream rinse or conditioner only on my ends. The shampoo works best if you put a small amount in a bottle and and water to dilute it and wash 2x. I do this only 2x a week and I have long thick hair. My hair is looking and feeling more healthy. I also cut according to the lunar chart he has listed. I cut to strengthen or root work.https://www.morroccomethod.com/shampoos?page=shop.browse&category_id=42

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I used to use Morroco method - and it was ok... but I was never really happy with it... (the other downer - that w/our old pipes it tended to clog the drains regularly - which made DH mad!)

7. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Bummer. It didn't work for me the first time around. Then I read about really diluting the shampoo to very watery consistency. That was the trick for me. I squirt it on in sections. It takes time, but my hair hasn't looked this good since I was a kid.

8. I have tried and tried to go no poo - but I always felt it was somewhat dirty looking, and when meeting with clients it made me uncomfortable. I had longer hair, and could pull it back and that worked for the most part (looked like it was products up and slick) but when my hair started falling out this summer - it didn't work! it looked skanky.

So I cut my hair short hoping that would help. It did not, I keep "trying" no poo - but I've given up. I found a natural shampoo at target that had nothing but good stuff!! I'll take a pic of it later. Now I just put a teeny bit at the front/top to handle the greasy looking parts every couple of days, and that's it.

I figured the baking soda route was no different than a tiny amount o poo.

If by some miracle I have more than a couple of weeks without needing to see clients around xmas, I will try again.

We don't use any soaps or other products. I keep my oil mix in the shower for face cleaning makeup when I wear mascara. . the rest of the time the whole body is just rinse. My showers are so short!!!

we've never used soap or shampoo on my son and he's never looked dirty.

I'm sure its a matter of "time", but I just couldn't deal with worrying my clients thought I was skanky!

9. FarmersDaughter

FarmersDaughter New Member

I use Loreal cleansing conditioner, and I like it the best of any I've tried.

I've used deva care, curl junkie (awesome but $$$) and V05&suave, the V05&suave are too heavy for my hair, and deva is just so so.

I need a lot of protein in my hair, so I use Sally beauty ion repair (I think...the red and white) as a Nopoo as well.

Using a good Sulfate before you start, and checking your stylers for -cones and whatnot is a good start. Naturally curly.com has a forum with a Nopoo forum...tons of info there too.

10. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Mam, were you using baking soda to wash your hair more than once a week? I was overzealous the first time I went no-poo and was doing baking soda and ACV every other day, and it dried my hair out really badly, which made it start breaking and falling out.

Also, for what it's worth, I find that a lot of people who have issues with transitioning to no-poo don't realize that the scalp really needs a good scrubbing and thorough rinsing. It's the friction of your fingertips on your scalp that actually clean it when you're not using harsh chemicals. I think we get so used to just smearing on a harsh shampoo that strips our hair even with very little scrubbing, that we forget to go back to scrubbing / rubbing when the shampoo is gone. I know that's been my main issue with no-poo, anyway. On days when I'm lazy and just kind of give my hair a cursory rinse in the shower, I end up with greasies because I didn't manually break the scalp gunk up and get it all rinsed out.

11. I did not do the baking soda thing - I figured it did the same thing as poo, which was signal the scalp more oil needed producing, so I might as well go with a little poo.

Good point on the scrubbing. On my next attempt, I will make efforts to be all scrubby.

12. kzimm

kzimm New Member

Is Dr. Bronner's a no-no?

13. FarmersDaughter

It's quite alkaline so it may cause a buildup in your hair...and rinse with a little acv in water (a couple tb/quart) will help reclose the cuticle and prevent biildup. YMMV.

There are good shampoo bars out as well that have super fatted soaps that are quite good for hair. But these too can cause a buildup if you have hard water.

14. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Ok, call me clueless, but what is wrong with an occasional shampoo? I do understand trying to get back to more natural lifestyle and eliminating man-made products, but goll darn it...I like shampoo!! I wash my hair every 5th day with baby shampoo and use conditioner on the ends only. That seems to keep my hair looking good.

15. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I actually started doing it because I got sick of my hair being a big ball of static all winter long no matter what products I used. It was purely a vanity thing for me. Naughty, I know...;)

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

this is what I'm trying to achieve - I'm sick and tired of having to wash/blowdry/style my hair daily. I can't wear super short hair - I look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket. short to mid length hair requires daily wash/blowdry/style - as it still sticks up... even though long hair is flat and lacks body (maybe shampoo I was using? and now wen) If I could get to the point where I could wash 1x/week (specifically on the days I go swimming) I'd be a happy girl... I'm seriously thinking of trying the Miessence hair care and see what happens...

17. FarmersDaughter

I starte d because I have had a lifelong fetish with curly hair, and hoped that merely sometimes-wavy hair would find its groove, a la the rest of my family.

Alas, no dice, but it's so much healthier now, I (almost) don't care.

So add another for the vanity list. Well, and sulfates made me break out, though I didn't realize it at the time.

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Daughter, have you tried coconut oil in your hair? I tried it earlier this year and discovered a slight curl that I thought was gone by the time I was 6 years old.

I tried no conditioner earlier this year, with just CO afterwards, but it was static city. I may have to try Ealachan's water scrub and skip the poo.

19. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I have been without shampoo for several months now. My hair has a lot of natural oil (especially as I've been getting healthier!) and I've tried a few things. I think the baking soda with ACV rinse works really well. But I only use about a teaspoon of baking soda in a lot of water, then about 1+ teaspoon of ACV in a lot of water to rinse. Egg yolks also work well (I just use 2 egg yolks witha bit of water or essential oils, rub them into my hair, leave for a few minutes and then rinse out with cool water). Lately I've been using facial mud. A very diluted mixture (about a teaspoon into a quart of water) poured into and rubbed into my hair and scalp (I do this over a big bowl so I can re-pour what drips out)... do this for a couple of minutes, then rinse (lately it's been with a very diluted green tea) and go. All these methods work for me, but I find the mud/clay to be the best. None of them appear to strip my hair and none of them appear to require doing it too often. I love being shampoo and soap free - nothing wrong with shampoo, I just prefer it without.

20. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

My Morrocco Method seems like a clay mixture: Here are the ingredients. I have to add a little of this with a lot of water. Even Kombu, Kelp and Nori in it!

Water (Aqua)

Whole Leaf Aloe Vera (Microcystis purifera)

Marine Proteins of Kelp (Macocystis Pyrifera), Nori (Porphyra Laciniata), and Kombu (Laminaria Japonica)

Shea Butter (Vitellaria Paradoxa)

Horsetail (Equisetum)

Nettle (Urtica Dioica)

Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium)

Comfrey (Symphytum)

Cherry Bark (Prunus Seotina)

Fucus (Fucus Vesiculus)

Blood of the Dragon Rare Proteins (Jatropha Dioica)

Cactus (Opuntia Engelmanii)

Green Tea (Thea Sinensis)

French White and Green Healing Clays

Klamath Falls Blue Green Algae (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae)

Crystals from Tibet liquefied into a Crystalline Solution

Essential Oils of Wold Rose (Rosa Acicularis), Moroccan Jasmine (Jasminum), Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha), Frankincense (Boswellia Carterii), and Mediterranean Olive Oil (Olea Europeae)

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (Acetic Acid)

92 Trace Minerals and Rare Plant/Marine/Fruit Proteins as Natural Preservatives