1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Q: Eating within 30 minutes and IF

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Cuffy, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I understand that eating breakfast (e.g., in the morning) helps reset circadian rhythms. But wouldn't early sun/light on skin and retinas be as effective?

After finishing reading Epi-Paleo, I switched my OMAD to breakfast. Here are my observations after 2 weeks:
    • I have zero appetite to snork down 50g of protein before the sun has reached the tree tops. Most days I sort of gag it down, even though I love protein.
    • Changing WHEN I eat (from late afternoon to early morning), did not make me feel better or more energetic.
    • Instead of coasting, without hunger, from dinner to dinner, eating early makes me hungry all day.
    Please don't think I am whining. My body has been out of balance for so long, I am willing to do what it takes. But I've also learned to question everything (it helps a lot if I know why). For example, couldn't I drink bone broth in the AM and fast until my usual 4PM OMAD?

Please feel free to post links so I can read up and absorb.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

have you read the Leptin RX? C/T protocol?

3. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'm not sure, Caroline. I may have read the Leptin Reset Rx but not the Leptin Rx, and I haven't read much more about C/T than face dunking, though I am planning to buy a cold vest.

I'd been trying to to follow a linear path in Jack's articles, but it's been a bit tricky ... until I discovered this list of blogs and articles and resources: https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/what-to-consider-as-you-begin.14737/

Since JK put them in order, I was planning to read them in order, at least as much as possible.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Cuffy, welcome.
    Changing your breakfast to sunrise is not designed to make feel better, but to make you better. It might take you longer to adjust.
    The problem may however lie in the day before. As a beginner you should not start with OMAD but have three meals. You can progressively reduce that. You can also look at your morning proteins and change them around.
    Are you eating breakfast outside? You should. Or if that is not possible by an open window or door.

caroline likes this.
  5. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

@Lahelada, thanks! I'm new to the leptin (and other Kruse Rx) concepts, but I'm not a beginner with IF and OMAD, just the time of day when I eat--which seems to be very important.

When I switched to an ancestral diet this past spring, I eased into it. I started with 3 meals a day and slowly pushed breakfast later until it met up with lunch. As my body became keto adapted, lunch eventually merged with dinner, and I was eating one meal a day (roughly 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carb).

I try to change my proteins around so I don't get bored. I get a monthly CSA delivery of pastured eggs, grassfed meat, organs, and local-caught seafood. So for my morning meal, I'll eat stews with homemade bone broth or egg yolks cooked in tallow or lard or sardines/tuna/salmon.

I try to eat my meals outside unless it's raining. If the rain isn't too heavy, I'll sit under the umbrella.

Please do keep the tips and suggestions coming, as I am certain to overlook something or get another thing backward, as there is so much info to digest.

caroline and Lahelada like this.
  6. Penny

Penny New Member

I thought Jack said if you weren't hungry in the morning, it meant that you ate too late the day before... I find that to be the case - on the other hand, I really like that you are doing regular 24 hour fasts... kudos to you:) You might just start with a shake - almonds, eggs, stuff like that just to get it down - sometimes I can't stare down food in the morning but it's usually because I ate vast quantities of protein the night before too late - like past 3:00 P.M. seems to be too late for me... also, make the 3:00 P.M. meal contain oysters - even if it's canned - life giving - add turmeric and garlic and salt and pepper to it to boost the health benefits - siracha sauce and lemon juice make it even palatable -

7. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I think I recall reading that in the book, which I started re-reading today. Jack seems to advocate skipping lunch (once adapted), so the longer fast would be between breakfast and dinner. I rarely eat dinner now. If I do 2 meals a day, I try to eat all my food within a 4-hour eating interval, so I get a nice long 20-hour fast. And, yes, I definitely need to get oysters! I have a fermented sriracha in the fridge, though I am not sure the nightshades will do me any favors.

I was drinking shakes/smoothies before I discovered all of you. I'm pretty convinced that the massive amounts of greens I tossed into the Vitamix were contributing to severe histamine reactions almost every day. I was blending 2 cups of frozen kale with homemade coconut milk, avocado, and a tiny handful of blueberries.

I'm on the Leptin Reset, and I think I am supposed to avoid nuts/seeds for now.

I really need to comb through my notes and port everything over to a single cheat sheet.

caroline likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

you are right about the nuts. Lah made a lot of great points.

I really struggled with the BAB at first ......but this is all about resetting your circadian rhythm.

Cuffy likes this.
  9. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

BAB = Breakfast at ...

Meanwhile, today -- FINALLY -- I experienced a noticeable uptick in energy. I watched the sun rise, ate my protein outside, and will be heading back out shortly, now that the sun has gone above the tree tops and is creeping into my yard.

It's too bad I'm discovering the sun benefits just as we're going into cooler, darker days up north. But I am already planning my outdoor "station" during the winter. I remember reading Protein Power ages ago, where the doctors Eades would nudi-bathe out on their deck all winter.

Lahelada and caroline like this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

read the C/T protocol....

BAB = big ass breakfast..

Cuffy likes this.
  11. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

12. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'm re-reading Epi-Paleo Rx and found the answer on page 101:

Never skip breakfast because it stimulates the circadian rhythm for gastric acid secretion in adults. This will become critical later in the day for body composition optimization.

I've gotten used to eating a BAB.

Lahelada likes this.