1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Progesterone for Libido Increase

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Hope2Learn, May 13, 2015.

1. Hope2Learn

Hope2Learn We are all connected.

See, I've never had any of my hormones tested in a way that has a point. I need to find out how/where to do that I suppose. Really though it's a lot faster, cheaper, and easier to just go back to drinking. Too bad alcohol induced libido is not guaranteed, and alcohol itself is strongly contraindicated by my SNPs/liver.

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Hope,tanning is actually a wrong word to use. Sunning yourself even with cloudy sky would be more apt. You are not looking for max wattage per square foot but exposing yourself to the correct UV frequencies ,i.e between 8-11 am. Thought I should clarify.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  3. Hope2Learn

oh I see what you mean. I didn't think those frequencies would get through the cloud layer. But that time of day doesn't fit into my n=1 so I'll keep plugging away with supplements of various sorts to see what works.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Is There a Correlation Between Androgens and Sexual Desire in Women?
    Article first published online: 5 DEC 2014
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jsm.12774/abstract

/////////
    Results

Sexual desire correlated overall with FT and androstenedione in the total cohort of women.

In a subgroup of women aged 25–44 years with no use of systemic hormonal contraception,
    sexual desire correlated with TT, FT, androstenedione, and DHEAS.

In women aged 45–65 years, androstenedione correlated with sexual desire.

No correlations between ADT-G and sexual desire were identified.

Hope2Learn likes this.
  5. Hope2Learn

[deleted because I just looked it up and progesterone isn't an androgen anyway so my comment doesn't make sense]

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Lahelada
    It would help me if you happen to have a link to that discussion.
    I recall it but only vaguely.
    Any chart of UV (a,b,c) vs season, vs latitude, vs time of the day, vs time of the year, would help too.

.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Jan, it is a contraction of various discussions . I will find.

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/waking-up-on-a-cloudy-day.9786/
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/being-outside-on-a-cloudy-day.9703/
    AM/PM sun:
    http://www.jackkruse.com/primal-cortisol-response/
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/morning-versus-afternoon-sunlight.13223/

The one thing I have not found is a table for latitudes,UV radiation recieved in nm. Reason probably being that most people go by the shadow rule and the must have 52 degree rules for vit D production. I remember asking Dr K if that correlation still holds but cant find the link. Sorry gotta run. Must get my freqs.... :)

9. Hope2Learn

I got my DHEA cream today. It says there is 15mg of natural DHEA per pump. When I was playing around with DHEA pills each pill was 25mg I think, and I used to take half per day but got bad acne so then took a quarter per day but stopped taking it because of mood/acne. So I definitely don't want more than one pump per day but not sure if I should do less than that. I know @JanSz always has so many wonderful charts, but for some reason I don't have very good comprehension ability (translation ability) with charts, which is hard to admit. I just can't make any sense of them... so if anyone uses the cream and wants to just weigh in on how much they use that would be great. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. Hope2Learn

PS - I had my DHEA done in January to get a baseline - my results:

Dhea (Dehydroepiandrosterone)

(standard range: 102 - 1185 NG/DL )

MINE: 325 ng/dL

-----------
    edited to add: I just found this chart of normal levels for DHEA-S for women by age range on the NIH site -ont sure if that's the same as DHEA or not though, range-wise...

BUT I just noticed they're using different values. My test is ng/dL and this chart is ug/dL, so I found an online conversion calculator here -

http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/ug_dlng_dl.php

and it says that my result of 325 ng/dL = 0.325 ug/dL.

Typical normal ranges for females (for DHEA-S) are:

• Ages 18 - 19: 145 - 395 micrograms per deciliter (ug/dL)
    • Ages 20 - 29: 65 - 380 ug/dL
    • Ages 30 - 39: 45 - 270 ug/dL
    • Ages 40 - 49: 32 - 240 ug/dL
    • Ages 50 - 59: 26 - 200 ug/dL
    • Ages 60 - 69: 13 - 130 ug/dL
    • Ages 69 and older: 17 - 90 ug/dL

So now I guess I have to know if the chart is the same for DHEA and DHEAS because it would appear that I have like 100x less than normal.

11. Hope2Learn

Mayo clinic says my levels should be:

2-5 years: <2.3 ng/mL
    6-10 years: :love:.4 ng/mL
    11-14 years: <5.0 ng/mL
    15-18 years: <6.6 ng/mL
    19-30 years: <13 ng/mL
    31-40 years: <10 ng/mL
    41-50 years: <8.0 ng/mL

51-60 years: <6.0 ng/mL
    > or =61 years: <5.0 ng/mL

and an online conversion calculator says my level is 3.25 ng/mL... I'm 42 so so I guess I'm in the bottom third (or half) of my range..? Seems I've got as much DHEA as a child between the age of 6 and 10, which might explain the lack of sex drive.. :rolleyes:

"Serum DHEA concentrations exhibit a circadian rhythm that reflects the secretion of corticotropin (ACTH); they also vary during the menstrual cycle, being higher during the luteal phase. In contrast, serum DHEAS concentrations do not exhibit a circadian rhythm because the plasma half-life of DHEAS is much longer."

oh. Mine *was* done during the luteal phase. So in reality my levels are generally even lower than THAT. yikes.

12. Hope2Learn

Okay, answering one of my own questions here - DHEA and DHEAS results are not the same even though an article I read on the NIH site said the tests are used interchangeably.

"Results for DHEA are given in nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). Normal value ranges for DHEA are:

• 1.0 to 9.5 ng/mL for adult men

• 0.4 to 3.7 ng/mL for adult women
    Results for DHEA-S are given in micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL). Normal value ranges for DHEA-S are:

• 10 to 619 mcg/dL for adult men

• 12 to 535 mcg/dL for premenopausal women

• 30 to 260 mcg/dL for postmenopausal women"
    So. mine tested DHEA and not the S form. So normal for me would be 0.4 to 3.7 ng/mL, and mine is 3.25 ng/mL. So now if I go by *this* page, my levels are right up at the TOP of the range.

Yeah, clearly I need some help here!

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Test DHEAs,serum
    Consider using guidelines from lef.org
    Women 275-400 μg/dL
    Eat as many pills as need to get there.
    /

14. Jill1

Jill1 New Member

a more accurate way to see what the real levels are - use a saliva test. LABRIX is the top rated lab. Saliva is testing free not bound to protein like serum tests. Unlike serum tests, saliva testing represents only hormones actively delivered to receptors in the body. Clinically, it is far more relevant to test these bioavailable hormones and provide an accurate reflection of the body’s active hormone levels.

https://labrix.secure.force.com/Home

15. If you test in serum, definitely test for DHEA-S,
    DHEA is not stabile and has fluctuations during the day.
    25 mg orally can be too much for women, depending how good an absorber you are and how your converting enzymes work, which convert DHEA into androstendione, testosterone, dht and estrogens.
    So if you consider to supplement dhea, you should test all these hormones best 3-5 hours after taking it in the morning( after a few weeks on the supplementation). Then you have the highest post dose level. In this way you can monitor the conversion and levels pretty well.
    Your symptoms like bad skin are a clear indication that the dosage was definitely too high (-high androgens).
    Did at least your libido change in that time?;)
    Maybe 5-10 mg might have been sufficient.
    If you try the cream remember that the absorption via skin is different. So 25mg topically is not the same as 25mg orally.

nicld likes this.
  16. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Periodically I see people claim that estrogens and progesterone affect sex drive in women, but I think that is wrong and it is all testosterone (and other non-hormonal factors as mentioned early on). Perhaps you should look at testosterone levels (free and and SHBG) directly?

Are you now using DHEA cream, or DHEA sulfate cream? Just a warning that DHEA cream could increase hair growth anywhere you put it that has hair follicles (so that's everywhere except your palms or feet bottoms). Jack says cream that contains DHEA sulfate will not cause the hair growth.

17. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

If you pay for your tests it should not be a problem. If still is, hire a naturopath.