1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Pregnenolone experiences

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by seanb4, Jul 5, 2013.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hi guys,

I have recently been taking pregnenolone (100mg) for about 2 weeks now. I have been doing this as I believe I have adrenal fatigue (no tests/can't afford) and my digestion is a constant, chronic source of stress/inflammation. I hoped it would battle the stress and help my adrenals.

I have noticed an improvement in mental clarity, skin quality, hair/excema, and a slight improvment in libido. However I have also had more heart palpatations (worse than usual), and some acne.

What are your/dr. Ks opinions on this. I think I read somewhere that if your T3 is bad (dunno if mine is) then you shouldn't take preg.

I would like to know what causes this acne and will it go away after a while, is it a kind of detox symptom?

Also has anyone else taken preg? What were your experiences?

Thanks, Sean.

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Sean
    is that male or female?

I am a man.
    I use supplemental pregnenolone.
    My experience is highly positive.

I have tried numerous pregnenolone products, pills and transdermal delivery, always followed up by blood tests (and self evaluation).

The only pregnenolone that works for me is

Micronized Lipid Matrix from Nutricology, 150mg tabs

Starting, I had hardly detectable levels of pregnenolone, progesterone and low Cortisol.
    At first, titrating dose and following with blood tests, I ended up with 900mg/day dose.
    After about a year on that dose, I must have apparently filled up enough deficiencies,
    because preg, prog & cortisol levels stated to raise excessively.

Titrating down I ended on 300mg/day and am currently on that dose for over a year.

It is important to also supplement with DHEA.
    Low DHEAs is so common that lef.org recommends supplementation first and follow up checkup latter.

I am currently using 100mg/day DHEA

DHEA Micronized Lipid Matrix from Allergy Research
    I am currentlt trying this product.

Previously I was using 400mg/day DHEA from lef.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Using pregnenolone (the type that actually works)
    should improve Cortisol.

Better cortisol should allow to process more T3.

What follows depends on T4 & T3 stores and ability to convert T4---->T3

If one is using supplemental thyroid hormones
    but
    have low cortisol
    he will not be able to process it.

Raising cortisol may allow more T3 to be processed, sometime excessively, hence heart palpitations.

If you have not supplemented with thyroid hormones prior to taking pregnenolone,
    those palpitations are expected to be short lasting.

Preferred way is to establish good cortisol level first
    then
    follow up with thyroid hormone supplementation if required.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Libido depends on estrogen & progesterone status.
    Raising pregnenolone, you have improved on progesterone, that may have helped.

Progesterone and estrogens need to be in balance.
    Preferably with excess of progesterone.

Low progesterone creates excess estrogens regardless of actual estrogens levels.

Excess estrogens promotes tissue growth.
    Men may/will grow breasts.

Common in men with prostate cancer who are on hormone ablation therapy.

///

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    seanb4 likes this.
  3. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Awesome that it has worked for you JanSz.

In answer to your question I am male, 22yo.

So you are saying that the heart palpitations mean the preg is increasing my T3 and this is a good thing?

Also is the acne from die off, hormones adjusting or is it simply too much pregnenolone? What I am asking is, is it a good sign (body changing for the better) or a bad sign (overdosing on certain hormones)?

Thanks for your detailed response btw.

4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

also I am not taking DHEA but my understanding is that if my body needs it, it can produce it from the pregnenolone. Is this true?

5. Hope

Hope Gold

Seanb4, have you read Jack's post on DHEA? THe one from 6-30-2012. Highly recommend you read it. You are you young so you could be OK but if you have issues, maybe not. I am a lot older than you and I can tell you adding DHEA - the real DHEA, not the 7-keto - seems to have made a huge difference in my healing. More than many other supplements, largely bc it helped sleep.

What is your sleep like these days? You wake up refreshed? Also where do you live? Ie big city?

Also, if you can at all, save up some money to get tested for three labs....Vitamin D, DHEA and HS CRP.

JanSz has said a lot of great stuff already, and the article he referenced is also great - have you read it? He's got a ton of knowledge...and is so kind to share so much on here :)

6. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I will get those test asap although it could be a while before I get the money.

My sleep is okay. I get to sleep okay and generally don't wake up throughout the night but I definitely do not wake up feeling refreshed.
    Yea I live in a city center.

I can't seem to find that article and yea he seems like a great guy.

You mentioned real DHEA and your own healing, care to expand?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

8. Hope

Hope Gold

Sean, Jack did the work for you already - now you just have to read that amazing post.

This is my n=1 but when I added DHEA, my sleep got much better (though I also got a magnetico pad).....one MD had me add keto without even testing, but it didn't do anything. For some reason, I need the real guy. If I were you - and I am not telling you what to do - I'd give the DHEA a try.

Waking up feeling like I actually slept is a great gift. I also did other things I have learned on here but I think this is a biggie. I also just started reading - finally - Jack's book......you may want to get that. It's only a couple of movie tickets' price....and what you learn - without having to search for blogs here....if that's hard - is so so great. He talks about DHEA in there too, pretty early on. SO so good. I wish every MD knew what Jack knows....

All the best to you!

As to my healing - long story. Have been working on it 15 years, changing diet majorly in 2008 when I cut out grains, carbs and all things processed...buying animal products 90% from a farm, using lots of different supplements also, and healing modalities. I can tell you nothing worked as well as what I have been learning here the past nearly year. Read and learn as much as you can, try to implement whatever is possible - water and avoiding EMF is key too - over time. I had learned a ton before, I own many nutrition books and have tried it all, talked to many great health experts - Weston A Price Foundation was a huge help too. I am far from done healing but to see the progress I've made in the last 6 months is a huge, huge gift to me. Some day, I want to write down more details. No time right now....but there are MANY here who have made even greater progress and know a ton more than I do, just get plugged in. Many folks here know a whole lot more than me, you'll see. But there is very great hope for you. You are super young and you can be an amazing rockstar as you follow the input here.....

Congrats for finding this place!!!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    seanb4 likes this.
  9. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks for the link. Great article. I might try some DHEA soon but I would prefer to do testing before. Think I will try some for a week and note the effects.

Glad you've sorted your health out.

Could you link me to the DHEA you use?

Thanks.

10. Hope

Hope Gold

Sean, I use Pure Encapsulations. But remember, we are all different and dosages are personal etc. I think JanSz has given you some great resources. I'd start with those. Pure Formulas is a great source indeed, just google them.

http://pureformulas.ecomm-search.co.../yhst-37598795206756/&query=dhea+pure&x=0&y=0

~ not sure you can see this. This is from a quick search for Pure Encapsulations on pure formulas.com.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  11. MsYo

MsYo Silver

This post is very insightful.

My last labs were good (vitamin D= 72 HsCRP =.8 B=1000+). I have improved my sleep quality and limiting EMF as much as possible but I still struggle with energy. I suspect my morning cortisol is still tanked. I am going to change my pregnenolone brand/dosing to see if this helps. I had been focusing on thyroid support but only showed mild improvements before sluggishness and depression reappeared. I have labs for new ASI, thyroid, and hormone panel coming up. Should I stop my dhea/pregnenolone/thyroid supplements prior to testing?

12. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I have recently been able to up my dose of pregnenolone to 150mg a day with no real side effects. Before I got some headaches at 100mg.

Is this a sign that my body needs more pregnenolone or am I just simply becoming used to it?

13. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Upped to 200mg Preg, been noticing some eye twitching in my left eye. Stopped getting acne, hair and skin haven't improved further with increased dose.

14. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Been at 200mg per day for a week now. Libido seems pretty low again, hair isn't that great either. I am seeing less effects from this increased dose than lower doses. Did I experience these positive effects because I just started taking it? Or is the dose now too high? What would cause this to stop having an effect?

15. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Lowered the dose down to 50mg, think the palpitations have decreased and tiredness, libido is maybe slightly better...

16. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Been at the lower dose (50mg) for a while now, palpitation aren't horrendus and hair and skin seem to be better. Libido is about the same. I will keep taking it as I assume it is doing something good.

17. WereBear

WereBear New Member

I know this is an old thread but it's the first one I've run across with pregnenolone. With menopause I had insomnia, memory issues, and homicidal mood-swings - given PremPro - which stopped those issues but I think I traded a respite for further problems like my Adrenal Fatigue. However, I stopped the HRT and switched to 50 mg of pregnenolone a day, under the tongue, with fantastic results for 6 months now.

Most of what I read of people taking preg and running into trouble were people who reported already being on some kind of hormonal supplement... so it's important that you don't overload, it seems.

seanb4 likes this.
  18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Theoretically yes.
    Practically no.

/

seanb4 likes this.
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There are three types of DHEA that come often in discussions.
    DHEA
    DHEAs
    7keto-DHEA

I measure DHEA and DHEAs in serum.
    I do not know how to measure 7keto-DHEA. (Someone pls help)

7keto-DHEA have thermogenic effects on the body, may help in adjusting thyroid hormones, burns body fat. Doses 100-200mg/day.

In my own experience, I can regulate my DHEAs using DHEA pills in rather reliable way, but I need to use large doses, sometimes within 300-400mg/day.

Unfortunately my DHEA,serum levels remain low.
    I could use some suggestions on how to improve on that.
    ================
    [​IMG]

When taking as 100% steroid hormones commonly considered and adjusted to their respective optimal levels,
    DHEAs participation by weight is 95%.

So, it is rather important steroid hormone.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

No time to look up link.
    check lef.org
    DHEA replacement protocol.
    Look there for statement that says everybody is low on DHEAs (if without supplementation).

It is ok to use 50mg DHEA/day, (buy lef.org pills).
    Month latter do first blood test, then adjust as need, up (mostly), down (rarely).

///