1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Polymorphic Light Eruptions - photodermatosis

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by LisaLearning, Jul 21, 2015.

1. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I developed a sun sensitivity about 15-17 years ago after a super sunny holiday. Never had it diagnosed but it looks to be PMLEs.

After many tiring years of slathering my whole life in sunscreen I started taking some melanotan/afamelanotide (synthetic alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone) in the late springtime, got a base tan, which I thought might involve me becoming an itchy, rashy mess, but it oddly didn't. I needed no more sunscreen for normal everyday sun exposures. I mentioned it to my doc (Hertoghe) who gave me his blessing about the whole thing.

I thought it was funny that with the hormone, I don't get any rash, even if I go in a tanning bed and do a short but intensive session, but didn't think too hard about it bc my problem was so much better.

I did the same this spring, although I did it slightly early, and barely got any sun because it's been a cool/overcast summer here, and although I have the normal bit of a base tan from the tanning booth, I got a little sun today, and I am itching again.

It's making me wonder about the hormone itself and whether it alters the photodermatosis, rather than the tan, as I thought previously. Any ideas?

2. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Well, for anyone who searches for something and ends up here, I finally realised I could use google's site search to find posts on the forum about MSH (which is too short a seach string for the search facility on the forum), and most of the info I was looking for is in the Cold Thermogenesis 6 blog post. :)

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

and CPC 9 tells you about supplements

A sun sensitivity is a sign a a bad surface on skin. Tensegrity 7.

Astronauts found something troubling in these shots from space
    http://www.techinsider.io/astronaut-photos-light-polution-lā€¦

... Astronauts aboard the International Space Station are snapping photos of Earth to measure light pollution, and they've found something surprising: Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) ā€” which are touted for their energy-saving properties ā€” are actually making light pollution worse. And the change is so intense that ISS crew members can see it from space.

... But by 2015, after the city transitioned to LEDs, illumination levels in the city center were much brighter than those of the suburbs, with a higher amount of blue light.

Cities around the world have been replacing energy-guzzling streetlights with brighter and whiter energy-saving LEDs. In fact, New York City is retrofitting all of its 250,000 street lights with LEDs in what the city is calling the biggest project of its type in the country. But energy savings does not necessarily translate to happy city dwellers. In a piece in The New York Times, Brooklyn residents complained about the glaring white light creeping into their homes and eyes, causing many restless nights.

LEDs worsen light pollution by giving off more blue and green light than the high-pressure sodium lights they normally replace. And this artificial light pollution washes out the night sky and is linked to many negative consequences. Disrupted night and day cycles can confuse nocturnal animals and alter their hunting interactions, migratory patterns, and internal physiology.

It can also mess with our internal clocks. We produce melatonin at night to help us sleep, which is regulated by light and dark cycles. If we're exposed to light at night, this can suppress melatonin levels, leading to sleep disorders or other problems such as headaches, anxiety, and obesity.

Surfaces chemistry is a big deal not many are aware of. Lisa this includes your famous hormone doc.

Is modern technology destroying our physiology in our brain? http://ow.ly/QLs5X

yep

Why is alpha MSH messed up in your brain? because your eye skin and gut have unyoked Vitamin A and D3 cycles. Remember A D3 cycles link neuroectoderm. Alpha MSH is made from neuroectoderm tissues.........so your problem will never be solved with a supplement........because it is a mismatched environment causing it. Your famous hormone doc missed that but he is making some nice cash for a half truth. Time for you to get your environment straightened out.

http://nutrition.jbpub.com/resources/animations.cfm?id=24&debug=0

4. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hi Jack,

Completely agreed about my doc. He was the best I could do, but I can see that many of the symptoms I have (vit a, d deficiencies, photodermatosis, hypothyroidism, low cortisol, arrhythmia w PVCs, low sex hormones, high crp, low IGF1, mild hypertension, low HDL, et cetera) are being treated ad hoc by him, and he can't tell a coherent story about why this is all happening. He's still a step ahead of most endos, who can barely manage diabetes patients for a living, but he doesn't understand the underlying problem.

I've not updated my log, but I've bought a trimeter and made huge improvements in nighttimes EMFs (big surprise was that the leisure battery operated electric fence for the chickens was pulsing once every two seconds and very much present in our bedrooms). I've majorly increased seafood intake for all of us, and am doing as much CT as I can manage, although if I do it later in the day it definitely messes with my sleep. We have red LEDs for anything that happens after dark, and I am far more in sync with light cycles now with earlier bedtimes. That felt much better during our very long winter nights here. Now that the sky is light in the fourth hour of the morning and dark at about 9pm, I feel a bit worse. But I am hard at work here improving things, and reading, even if I can't always find something I knew I saw!

If you were in Europe I would prefer to consult with you, but for now, I am seeing the endo in about a week, and given what you've been saying I'm focussing on whether I should stay on the 2 mg methylprednisolone he's prescribed, given the PVCs and concern about nnEMF as the causal factor, wondering whether I am hurting things or helping things with that med. Meanwhile, I'm plugging away at the environment.

(I just found Cambridge has an ice bath place for sports people, etc., and I'm looking into whether it would be possible to use their facilites starting in Sept when my son starts back at school just outside the city)

5. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

PS Hertoghe is far more open minded than most. I just saw the lineup for a conference he's hosting in the autumn, and he's got Olle Johansson from the Karolinska Institute who will be there talking about the dangers of EMF. So I think he is going to get there. :)

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Agree on Terry........he is better than most.......but he is a drug pusher first.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well I just spoke to a film maker this AM about OLLe Johansson.....

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

electrical changes in the heart are all about calcium efflux. Read the heart attack heart disease thread.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

look outside of you not inside.......you have no defect. Your environment has the defect.

10. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Thanks a lot. I'll start looking over (and re-looking over) some of that when the sun comes up.

Drug pusher. :) I'm sure I sound like his lawyer, but I think it's because he doesn't know better, and as I have worked with him for a few years, I would say his heart is in the right place. He helps a lot of people bandage over things (and they feel so much better and so grateful), which is more than most do, although it is obviously sub-optimal. I do have a scrip from him for either HGH or Increlex waiting for me. And it's very tempting!

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I agree he does not.......if he added the medical physics to his template he would be unstoppable.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Lisa if you have low inflammation and a good environment HGH is not going to hurt you.....but as this thread shows I dont think you can assume that

13. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I think I'm still some way from that, and I am holding off intentionally because I am not after the bandage. I just fedexed bloods to Belgium and will have the results shortly and will be very interested to see if there is any improvement in crp or creatinine/bun.

I will update the journal when I get the results. Thanks again for the help and reading. x

14. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

So calcium channel blockers should empirically help this. I wonder if I ask, the doc is going to suggest beta blockers instead. I just had a look to see whether the literature shows Ca blockers are indicated for PVCs as well, and the literature looks like a muddle: some evidence for helping them, some for making them worse.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

They can but I warn people to be careful with them........you have to monitor yourself for the first two weeks to see how your reacting. I will tell you to talk to them about Trental too. It is off patent and if you travel to Mexico you can buy it without a Rx. IT is a TNF alpha blocker that can be used with curcumin in biohacks.

Josh Rosenthal likes this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Photodermatosis have many photochemical actions within their group as a disease. Sensitivity to the sun has always interested me but I have yet to hack it myself. I believe a serious lack of skin/arterioles Vitamin K2 with alterations in skin Vitamin A and D3 are rarely spoken about. I have a sense this is going to change when we speak about how light interacts on surfaces adjacent to water. I think diseases like rosacea and drug photosensitivity are due to extreme loss of K2 in and around the surface arterioles and capillaries. It brings up the question many ask, does the use of over the counter vitamin K creams or oral K2 really help get rid of bruises and/or tiny broken capillaries on the skin or the face?

There are two studies I am aware of showing that topical Vitamin K cream may help with post-traumatic bruising. In both studies a cream containing Vitamin K was used after pulsed dye laser treatment. As anybody who has underwent treatment with this particular laser, say to rid themselves of unsightly facial blood vessels, knows purpura ( bruising) can be an unwanted side effect. In these studies one by Cohen et al and published in the November 2009 issue of Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, and the other by Lou et al in the December 1999 issue of Dermatologic Surgery, Vitamin K containing creams hastened the resolution of this laser-induced bruising. There are some problems in both studies in that there were other ingredients in the formulations which might have spurred on the body's response ( such as Vitamin C and E) in the former study and Retinol (vitamin A synthetic) in the latter. Further, the number patients in the studies were small and the latter study was funded by the company manufacturing the Vitamin K cream. This for me is a big problem. But I have told people on this very forum when I did my own surgical bio hack I used Vitamin K2, DHEA, and resveratrol orally and topically on my own self induced wounds for this reason. The laser used in these papers likely were too focused and had wavelength drift because the surface temperatures where not controlled well. When I did my bio hack I used cooling of my surface skin any time I used this technique and I always made sure I used natural AM UV and IR light frequencies. All K vitamins have quinones in them so they absorb all frequencies of UV light. Resveratrol absorbs ideally in the UV range as well at 312 nm. Nonetheless, given what I know about wound healing and light, Vitamin K cream does seem to be a worthwhile product for trauma induced bruising. It will allow light to be transferred to the blood plasma to increase energy to the site of damage.
    I have not find credible scientific evidence (non manufacturer created) that Vitamin K creams helps with telangiectasias ( the tiny broken capillaries you mention). If you make them with a compounder you can bio hack them yourself. Vitamin C is purported to help wound healing but I am not a buyer that it would work topically. I think IV or food based Vitamin C helps produce strong collagen via its affects on proton tunneling and collagen can help hold the small vessels in place.
    If small capillary breaks occur in these vessels, a dermatologist could apply a pulsed dye laser like the KTP laser, electrodessication and IPL might also work quicker than applying a cream. I'd like to do a bio hack in 2016 using topical cream with LED's to see the effect.

17. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hertoghe looked at me like I was crazy person when I told him about the PMLEs (presumably as I'm of mediterranean origin and have light/medium golden undertoned skin, and wasn't pink and fair, as it seems most with photodermatoses are) - he said I just didn't have enough vitamin D.

I haven't tried supplementing with vit K, so perhaps that is in order (and maybe it will also help retard more broken capillaries on my cheeks). I'll see if I can find a decent formulation that penetrates well, but we are not having much sun this summer, and I already have a bit of tan so to really test it I would need to wait until next spring.

The alpha MSH completely eradicates the PMLEs for me. I'm betting enough CT would sort it out.

18. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Had this done on cheeks for broken capillaries about 5 years ago and yes, it does leave you with some very lovely colored purple purpura (and residual swelling) for about 10 days. I recall that the puffiness of my cheeks actually touched the bottom of my eye glasses. I used an arnica lotion and it helped reduce the swelling anyway.

Not a good look to go to work in... I got a lot of strange looks.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Epi-paleo tip to improve your skin surface for photosensitization: ground up your old oyster,clam,mussel shells to do amazing things for soil recycling.........that you should grow your sulfur containing veggies in to get your glutathione in your foods.......while you sit in the sun nude in the AM in UV and IR light. Shell fish exoskeletons contain chitin. So add them too your compost too. The earthworms produce chitinase in order to digest the chitin to recycle it and improve the soil that your veggies grow in or that your chickens live upon. The plants then can use the chitinase liberated to the soil to destroy the exoskeletons of insects which are trying to eat the plants. Everything is coupled and quantum and not zen. Pretty amazing mother nature is when you use her abilities and dont fight her. You can also buy or make your own shellfish/crab shell fertilizer. My plan is to add whatever exoskeletons I can get into my compost bin and start growing a wide variety of veggies next year and seeing if the chicken eggs have more DHA content within them as the chickens feed upon this dirt treated with seafood compost. Growing your cysteine veggies in this garden would be wise as you sunbath in the AM to improve your skin surfaces for optimal health.

Josh Rosenthal, Curves and b612 like this.
  20. av8r

av8r New Member

Cool! I eat a pound of mussels every morning, now I know what to do with all those damn shells I have been throwing away!

Curves likes this.