1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

(Poll) How long are you able to stay in 57degree water with 20lb ice pack?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Cheryl., Dec 8, 2018 at 3:13 AM.

?

How long are you able to stay in the cold water or ice? briefly state how you are able to cope

1. Seconds

2. Under 3 minutes

3. 5 to 10 minutes

4. 10 to 30 minutes

5. 30 minutes to an hour

6. Over 1 hour

7. Until my testees hide inside and I can no longer think!

8. Until I can't feel my tits!

9. Forget you, I'm not getting in!

10. (57degree water with 20lb ice pack) or you may give your specific fav temp

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Grasshopper

How long are you able to stay in 57 degree water with 20lb ice pack? Or give details of your Cold Therapy
    Newcomers don't do this at home unless you read the Epi-Paleo Rx appendix B <click black type for link to book

was wondering how you keep yourself in the bath? Haha I remember an old study that used Transcendental Meditation to be able to endure the pain of ice. Of course the people who were meditating were able to keep their arms in the ice water the longest. I did see Kruse in the pool over Thanksgiving on FB!
    How do you endure cold therapy? I did read Jack's book and I am so glad I bought the book right away! Yet, I still don't know what you guys are talking about most of the time! There are several funny videos out there! Wow, Jack in the ice after surgery! :( If I were your wife I would have pinched your ear! I am a wimp when it comes to the face bathing in ice water! I really know it's something I have to do! Why do you guys stay still? That amazes me that you guys can do that! I do know you lose more body heat when you are moving. It will be in the tub

They eat an ice cream sandwich and recite the alphabet backwards before they can get out! Ha

Yikes, Electricity and water

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 7:47 PM
  2. shah78

shah78 Gold

Poor poll question!!!! how cold is water?? redo please!

drezy likes this.
  3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

You might want to clarify your question to specify the water temp. I can stay only a few minutes in icy water, up to 50 at 50F, over an hour at more tepid temps. Jack has said that anything under body temp is technically CT.

I have my best luck in my large indoor tub with 50 degree well water, only up to my bottom ribs, hands and feet out, arms crossed (chest not submerged), leaning back, very still, listening to chanting, and joining in.

Maybe start with more tolerable temp for your face dunks?

Fun poll, once you clarify it. :)

drezy and Cheryl. like this.
  4. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

shah78 likes this.
  5. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Grasshopper

I know I will be doing a cap with gloves and socks! (Like Jack wrote ) I don't see how Jack can fall asleep!
    everyone is so different. @shah78 go ahead and explain how you like it. :) or post a video!

@Phosphene I really appreciate the detail you went into!;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Read the CT protocol. The temperature is specified,the way to get used to it is specified. Hat and feet out with socks is not an optional extra. Hat and feet covered help you maintain adequate temperature for your organs.

JanSz and drezy like this.
  7. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Grasshopper

Thanks, what is your favorite temp, besides hot tub?:D
    he used the gloves, hat, socks until he got cold adapted(so the heat doesn't dissipate from the veins)
    I highlighted appendix B 1-5 steps
    ✓ 16-32 oz
    ✓fat/protein
    ✓ C shirt
    ✓ face adapt
    ✓ danerous for heart and extreme adrenal fatigue patients etc. I personally wouldn't do it if I was magnesium deficient.
    ✓using metal is dangerous
    ✓ thermometer -skin >50-55df for safety
    ✓ cold adapt for a month before going outside
    ✓ until I finish Step 2, I won't go to cold showers
    ✓ turning white AF to Brown adipose fat is exciting while building the
    ✓immune system, firing up the metabolism and resetting leptin sensitivity!
    And the list goes on...
    It took him 18 moths to develop this protocol.:) I will also be using the type of visualization that athletes use so maybe my transition can be a little easier.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM
  8. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Hi Cheryl :)

I've done outside CT in an old short seated bath, the best is when I've just used the environmental temperature gradually lowering over the autumn/fall and heading into winter. Adaptation done slowly over time, but a sudden cold snap just means less time in the bath. When its getting colder I check the water temperature, decide the max time I will stay in and use a clock. If I need to get out earlier I do, but I don't stay longer. Breaking the ice and 1C water would be a max of 5 minutes, with hands and feet out with them getting perhaps just the occasional dunk, because I'm also dealing with a cold ambient outside temperature and possibly a cold wind. If there's some winter sunshine a short dip and getting my solar panels in the sunshine is more important on that session. For me the environment as a whole matters, and every session is different. I prefer sunrise as I can set my circadian rhythm at the same time, and as we move into warmer months that time of day is when the water is at its coolest. I like observing nature at that time, whether its birds, clouds … whatever draws my attention.

This winter I'm spending 14 weeks in an apartment where I only have a shower and no outside CT possibility (compensating with 2-3 two week trips to the sun). So between trips its cold showers and living in the cold lane - no heating, summer bedding and open window at night etc. But I'm looking forward to getting my outside CT in when early spring arrives and I move back to my summer residence (two linked mobile homes in the countryside). :)

Cheryl. likes this.
  9. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Grasshopper

Well done, Sue. Sounds like you have this down pat! I was hoping you would chime in:D You sound like you have adapted to the cold. Now I know why my neighbor leaves her windows open when it's cold.
    I hope I don't live in the wrong part of the country.
    Can you still make a little leptin from face dunking? Anyone can answer.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 5:46 AM