1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Playa Del Carmen Megathread

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by OptimalSkr, Aug 8, 2018.

1. GringoPerdido

GringoPerdido New Member

A few updates.

Playa Del Carmen has been my favorite from the places I’ve visited (Cancun, Tulum, Isla Mujeres, and Bacalar). Bacalar is a second and more rural.

Favorite place for a meal and drink: El Boticario - favorite drink is el veneno, great ceviche and raw fish tacos.

Best Ceviche Places: El Oasis and El Pirata.

Lower budget place for drinks and tostadas: Los Hijos Del Mar.

Favorite low price hotel: Casa La Galería - Has a great rooftop patio/pool for sunrise, sunset, and mid day sun bathing.

Favorite coffee shop: Choux Choux

You can get a SIM card for you phone at any chain convenience store. 400 pesos gets activation, installation, 17 days free calling to MX/US and 2gigs of data. They install it and sometimes it takes a few minutes to complete.

I briefly had a bit of Montezumas revenge and used Enterosgel which worked in 2 doses.

Cancun car rental is problematic. They try to up sell crazy insurance. I used thrifty and brought a letter from my credit card benefits program about insurance.

If you plan on using taxicabs here, join the Mexpats Playa or Expats in Playa FB groups and they provide lists of cabs that are fair.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Gina R, Sun Disciple and OptimalSkr like this.
  2. Michael CULLEN

Michael CULLEN New Member

What is the humidity like?

3. shah78

shah78 Gold

dew point is 78 in the morning.!!!! ! talk about moist skin. a real incentive to get into the water.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas New Member

What is this and where do I find it for the upcoming trip?

5. GringoPerdido

GringoPerdido New Member

I found it on amazon. It’s a gel that is very helpful for diarrhea. I also has a high affinity to aluminum.

May be best to get the individual serve packets if you are flying with only carry on.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  6. GringoPerdido

GringoPerdido New Member

Favorite taxi driver in Playa
    Octavio +52 984 233 5948

Horseback riding tours in the jungle/lessons
    Cindy WhatsApp +52 9841362575

Gina R and OptimalSkr like this.
  7. Gina R

Gina R New Member

I've been looking at Chicxulub/Progreso

8. Gina R

Gina R New Member

I'm revisiting this thread...thank you for all the info!

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'd avoid Progresso.

Gina R likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

10/25/2018:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Hilton bought Royal in last month and changed all policies.
    A member has notified us that The Royal no longer honors day passes for their resort, only guests at the resort are allowed on the property. We contacted The Royal to confirm this and it was confirmed. This hotel property policy change was implemented just one month ago. There is no alternative and they will not make any special accommodations for our members that are not staying on the property.
    We know that this is terrible news for our members that are not staying on The Royal. This is a policy change that is out of our control.
    All meetups and events will happen at The Royal with Dr. Kruse, he will not be traveling outside of the resort. To attend, you will need to be a guest of The Royal (now Hilton Playa Del Carmen).
    Team Kruse

Gina R likes this.
  11. Gina R

Gina R New Member

Hi @Jack Kruse , how come you'd avoid Progresso?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Of the entire crater is has the worse magnetism and water situation. The other end of the crater at Isle of Muerjues is a better choice. The best stretch is between PDC and Tulum.

13. Gina R

Gina R New Member

I see. Thanks for that info! I was finding info suggesting Progresso is less expensive so that's what was attracting me there. But "quality" of the area is obviously key...

14. GringoPerdido

GringoPerdido New Member

If folks are looking for rentals in Playa, feel free to contact me. I have a few tips.

Gina R and Sun Disciple like this.
  15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Progresso is dirt cheap.......for a reason

Gina R likes this.
  16. Green Eyes

Green Eyes Silver

Ok, on to plan B. Meet with Dr Jack in Cancun Nov 10 to 16th. Thank you for the update

Gina R likes this.
  17. Lag
    does this apply to the whole stretch of the Progresso area? Can you give more explanation as to why this is the case? Is it something to do with the Lagooon seperating this stretch from the main land? Wanting to try out both areas. Will try Chixiclub area first then may come to Isla
    So we could posit local magnetic anomlies still play an important role when we visit the Yucatan......despite our proximity to the crater?

Gina R likes this.
  18. Looking potentially for the whole Dec then even on the Jan and Feb. Having low balling air bnb places here in the North Side.......seems to be an effetive strategy as most of these places are empty this time of year........Probably not the same on that side though?

Sam

Gina R likes this.
  19. Gina R

Gina R New Member

Sam, I'm trying to concentrate finding a place as well and want to make sure my time there is spent wisely in the right areas.

20. Gina, my wife and I are open to sharing accommodation. Maybe in the new year we could share something that is off the beaten path in Isla/PDC/Tulum area? We have a baby however which presents it's own set circumstances. But so far she loves it here! :)

We are likley going to rent here for November.......in a place called San Benito.....about 25 from Progresso........not sure about local magnetism/water quality but the place is quite isolated so less nnEMF. Right on the beach. Should provide enough time to gauge weather or not it is a good environment for us.

even if its bad magnetism.......we will have sun and ocean and castle to ourselves for very good price!

I think progresso magnetism story is also compounded by power lines. I couldnt figure out what was causing high LF in the apt we are currently even with breakers off. Held meter up to power lines and bingo.....they are bad. Perhaps bc there is shit infrastructure here

Anyways I am going to keep looking and will let you know any updates. If there are powerlines close by then it might be much the same.

Are their shit overhead powerlines in Isla and PDC.....anyone know?

Gina R likes this.