1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Playa Del Carmen Megathread

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by OptimalSkr, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

I would be interested as well let me know.

2. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

@Gina R The place I stayed at that was 80$ was from Dec 1st to Dec 23. After that it went up to like 250$/night. The time of the members event is the most expensive time. It was a two bedroom.

You can go on AirBnB and look at the prices.

If you want to DM me, I can get you in contact with the landlord. I also know someone else in the building who rents two rooms in her unit. She was charging 30$US per night for a room. I would imagine that price goes up a lot by Dec 24th. It seems like a good rule of thumb is to take the usual December cost and multiply it by 2.5 to get the cost between Xmas and new years.

I recall even hostels were going for 50$/night at that time of year.

3. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

@Gina R

Another option would be to stay on the other side of the highway and rent a bicycle.

4. Gina R

Gina R New Member

Thanks for the info and input. I'm likely going to be looking to share a house/place with some of the other members, hopefully close by. Need to make it lowest cost as possible but still safe!

5. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

I know about the ocean being a faraday cage, but also the ocean has a very high level of Deuterium, so how does this work? Apologies if this is absolutely ground-level lack of knowledge .. just making my through all of this information ..

shah78 likes this.
  6. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

Wouldn't it be better to gradually condition yourself to handle more sun without sunscreen, over time? I just avoid the middle of the day and make the most of sunrise to 11-ish, and then 3-ish to sunset, if I can. Amazing that a lot of the general population is still passionately talking about protection from the sun .. sun-phobic to the point of craziness, in the name of beauty and maintaining unwrinkled skin, etc. Health = beautiful skin .. so circadian rhythm and biochemistry functionality is really all that matters .. I realise I'm talking to those who already know this.

shah78 and Rubicon like this.
  7. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Good question, hadn't thought of that before. Indeed the ocean is high in deuterium, but I think that we have a skin that won't absorb deuterium or water in general. On the contrary, when we sweat, we are actually depleting small amounts deuterium. It would not make sense if we had deuterium depleting mechanisms while at the same time absorbing deuterium whenever we stood in the ocean collecting shellfish or whatever.

CatherineHFD and JanSz like this.
  8. shah78

shah78 Gold

zinc oxide for nose and cheeks only!!!! white people keep coming here and burning their faces on first day. no bueno. every one of them. :)

Green Eyes, OptimalSkr and Phosphene like this.
  9. shah78

shah78 Gold

Please stop overthinking this!!!!! get in the water. get in the water. get in the water. leverage the photelectric effect. the properly functioning mitochondria will protect you.

10. shah78

shah78 Gold

i stopped thinking the moment i got here. :) i let the mitochondria do my thinking. i just" feel what they're telling me. :) and i realize you can't understand this until you get here......and get into the water. :) blah, blah ,b;ah.

caroline, Green Eyes and Phosphene like this.
  11. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

I don't seem to get burnt in the sun generally .. so far .. with the exception of a little around the ankles recently, where the sun had just angled in a little more intensely, and I felt the burn when showering later. So I researched natural sunscreens so I wouldn't be stopped in my sungazing routine the next day (that only filtered a little light) and came up with this .. you can tell me if it sounds like BS, but it said that sesame oil has an SPF of 8, and olive oil has been shown to protect the skin from tumours if applied before going in the sun. I tried the sesame oil, not sure if it would contribute to cooking me .. but it was great. I'm in the sun with no sunglasses, no hat, as little clothing as circumstances allow, grounded .. my skin is fine, so far so good. Family members have had sun-spots/skin cancers burned off, and they are commercial sunscreen wearers. I've mostly never used anything .. my skin is fine .. go figure.

I wanted to ask here on the forum if you gradually develop an ability to look more closely at the sun, or look longer at or around it as time goes on. Or, I was thinking that the skin of the eyelid is so thin that the sunlight would permeate a closed eye just as well?

12. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

you are right .. be more intuitively led .. I do get curious sometimes though, and if I don't get a fast answer, I'm likely to forget it and just do it ..

13. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

yes, I'm a pain in the _ _ _

shah78 likes this.
  14. GringoPerdido

GringoPerdido New Member

This has been a great trip so far.

Definitely come with an unlocked cel phone and get a chip. 200 pesos for unlimited calling and 2gigs of data for like 30 days. 200 for activation.

Ask for your food “sin sal” to avoid the fluoridated salt.

Driving here is easy if you’re used to 3rd world countries. Roads are easy.

I brought a tub of grass fed whey to get early am protein.

Delicious ceviche is available everywhere. I loaded up on homemade yogurt before the trip to build probiotics in my stomach.

15. Gina R

Gina R New Member

Thanks for the tips @RobInDC !

16. DrGeo

DrGeo New Member

What is the name of the suggested all-inclusive?

17. Gina R

Gina R New Member

@DrGeo The Royal which I think is now owned by Hilton

18. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

I was just watching this music video. I started to notice the drone flybys looked familiar. Then I noticed the second drone flyby was right by the beach access right by The Royal. Then you can tell by the beach furniture that it's actually filmed right at The Royal!

GringoPerdido likes this.
  19. Inna

Inna Platinum

I might be interested in a house share in PDC for January after 1/4

Also, might be a stupid question, which (brand) unlocked phone would be advisable for Mexico? I have been using iPhones for the last 7+ years, went through 3 of them actually (4,5 and now 6) they are all locked (Verizon).
    I inquired about travel plans with Verizon but those are quite costly. Thanks!

20. OptimalSkr

OptimalSkr New Member

I see you were doing good "research" for our playa thread --- and not watching the hundreds of babes dancing around!!!!!! lol