1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Plant based diet

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Joce_, Nov 15, 2019.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

mussels (9588 micrograms per 100g IIRC)
    =======================================
    How much muscle flesh one should eat daily to cover silica needs?
    =======================================
    In my Asian supermarket shucked giga-oysters or shucked muscles about $10/pound (flesh)

What kind of mussels?
    Love this:

[​IMG]

Do not care for this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    John Schumacher likes this.
  2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Fortunately for you mussels have a relatively high content of Si but scampi is dramatically lower (but with a bit more availability):

Mussels
    9588 micrograms/100 gm of food --------------------> Guten Appetit
    5.5±0.6 (% availability)

Scampi
    11.1 ±0.8%

Fortunately for vegetable lovers beans are really high in Si too. Fish showed low values, as did meat and dairy.

This info is from this paper (food was sourced from Antwerp/Belgium):

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10942910701584252

This paper looks at Si content of common foods in UK:

https://dro.deakin.edu.au/eserv/DU:30009138/mcnaughton-provisionaldatabase-2005.pdf

John Schumacher and Inger like this.
  3. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

As an omnivore I wouldn't eat mussels 365 days per year anyway, and I wouldn't eat X amount of mussels just for sake of the silica. For plant foods, there is varying amounts of silicon content per 100g of food, and different percentages of what's absorbed as OSA. I don't know what that OSA percentage is for mussels. :)

For me its about what I'm trying to achieve. The Exley hacks for getting aluminium out of the brain involves drinking enough water within an hour to saturate the blood with OSA, and using the urine and sweat to get the aluminium out, not something I could do with mussels, or any food. I've tweaked his hack to use the circadian rhythm of CSF production, again not something I could do with food. :)

Even generally I think we need a lot of information before deciding what the silica needs are. A few examples are if there's a deficiency already, age, gender,
    for females whether pregnant or breastfeeding, EHS sensitivity, medical conditions, what the aluminium toxic load is now from personal choices and the environment, and what it has been in the past …. etc etc etc.

John Schumacher and JanSz like this.
  4. Inger

Inger Silver

I just checked the water I drink right now, and it has 30,6 mg/l Metakiselsäure(H2SiO3, [–Si(OH)2–O–]n)
    Is that something similar to what you drink, Sue?
    I have about 1,5-2 liter/day of that water so I get roughly 50 mg silica /day from my water only.

5. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

[​IMG]

Although it mentions Si in the chemistry, I don't know how metalkiselsaure translates. Is it "other minerals" which would include silicon, but not necessarily be all silicon? For example although silica is not listed separately, other minerals on the English label for Gerolsteiner is 55 mg/L. In my book list Gerolsteiner is 40.2 mg/L. If you want the other 10 German waters on the list let me know.:)

Veg and Inger like this.
  6. Inger

Inger Silver

oh yes Sue, I would love that :) :)

Metalkieselsäure is practically just silica, the form it appears in mineral water :)

7. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Its similar to Volvic that I use then at 31.7. :) Others I use are Acilis at 55.2 and Fiji at 93.

Vulkani Heilwasser 83.5
    St Linus Heilvasser 58.9
    Dunaris 54.9
    Hirschquelle 53.9
    Konig Otto Sprudel 50
    Wildsber Quelle 40.9
    Gerolsteiner 40.2
    Teinacher 40
    Tonissteiner 35.4
    Wittenseer Quelle 33.4
    Eifel Stil 33.3

Inger likes this.
  8. I read "the Mapmaker's Wife", a book about the exploration of colonial south america and highly recommend it. It touches on lots of interesting subjects such as the historical evolution of scientific thought, philosophy, geography, astronomy, religious subjugation of vast populations for profit, and botany.
    Of interest to this plant based diet thread is this excerpt about availability of plant based food in the Amazon jungle. I assumed food 20200305_182057-1.jpg 20200305_182154-1.jpg was bountiful, but before man started cultivation of maize, potatoes, plantains, yucca, rice and other crops, it would seem that we would be hunting more than gathering.

John Schumacher, Sue-UK and drezy like this.
  9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

That hack finished at the end of Feb, when I went off porridge. Now I've got a craving for nutritional yeast, a teaspoon mixed in silicon rich water, every 2 or 3 hours. The intake spaced out over the day is proving to be a useful hack.

I went on the hunt for clues about thiamine after the Hypoxia 5 blog came out, because in the WFPB diets that are used for diabetes, heart disease etc, the foods should have good, or at least reasonable amounts of thiamine.

Dr. Chandler Marrs on Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) - Mitochondria's Gateway to Energy

Porridge and nutritional yeast are both sources of thiamine, so perhaps that has something to do with my cravings. Its interesting that metformin, other pharmaceuticals, BCPs etc affect thiamine getting into the cells, with down stream effects on other things. You can have good blood levels, so technically have sufficiency, but if there is transporter problems, you can still have the symptoms of deficiency.

With the percentage of diabetics who are deficient in thiamine, then it may be the thiamine factor, rather than the WFPB diet as a whole. :)

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Trust but verify.
    Eat but check results.
    By definition, a micronutrient deficiency = cellular dysfunction.
    Micronutrient levels are irrelevant when measured in isolation.
    What matters is how micronutrient affects cell function (as measured by lymphocyte proliferation).
    This is what is meant by a functional micronutrient deficiency.
    https://www.spectracell.com/cellular-function-101

upload_2020-3-12_9-20-8.png

John Schumacher likes this.
  11. @Penny - That was an amazing post - Thank you!

From a chorine point of view, I believe it can be gassed off by allowing water to sit in an open container for 24 hours. I filter all my water then "off gas" it for a day, before watering my garden. Grandpa John

12. Inger

Inger Silver

I hear you Sue... I LOVE nutritional yeast... I cant stop eating it :rolleyes:
    I have to limit myself.
    And I need to make sure that I get organic, not fortified yeast. It is way more expensive but is worth it, after I read how regular nutritional yeast is made.. using synthetic fortifiers etc. That stuff made my liver uncomfortable too.

I now take a fat soluble Thiamine and a few teaspoons of organic nutritional yeast most days, and I have to say I love it! :) :)

I also do lots of raw eggyolks lately, because of healing my liver. About 4 / day, in average. Really good,, whisked up slightly with a half teaspoon honey...oh yum! :thumbsup:

13. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Can I ask roughly how much thiamine you are taking overall from the yeast and the supplement? I'm up to about 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast a day, plus whatever is in my food, mixed in scrambled eggs is yum but you've inspired me to put it in raw egg yolks. :) The one I've got doesn't say organic, but its definitely not fortified, and I'm being drawn to eating more of it.

This is something I’ve read in relation to thiamine and cataracts. I have already lost my sight in one eye, and it has a cataract. These articles were written in 2001, when the environment was not as bad nnemf wise. https://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(00)00625-4/fulltext Low thiamine intake and risk of cataract. And https://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(00)00626-6/fulltext Low thiamine intake and risk of cataract: Author’s reply. Because its not the only issue with my eye, I'm not sure if I could reverse it, but DH has just had an optician appointment and has the sign of one beginning - very slight, its been put down as normal for age blah blah :rolleyes: but without the problem I have, his may be reversible.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/so-what-really-causes-cataracts.24781/
    "Many roads lead to them but blue light and other forms of nnEMF are key to their etiology"

So my musing is that if one of the roads is thiamine deficiency, from whatever cause, then if the environment has already been hacked and cleaned up, thiamine sufficiency could be protective of getting them in the first place, them not getting worse or ..... maybe reversing them? :cool:

14. Inger

Inger Silver

Sue, the yeast does not have much thiamine, because it is organic and not fortified.
    It has 1 mg thiamine/100 grams. The other brand I took first, not organic, had 48,5 mg thiamine/100 grams.
    Huge difference. I wondered how that could be, and wrote them an email. Both yeasts are from the same company. So I got an great complex answer where they told me about the process and how the non-organic has some fortified stuff added under the process that makes it was easier and cheaper to make and also gets way more B vitamins. All that is not allowed with organic yeast so it is a slow natural process which also cost way more and that is why it is more expensive too.
    I take a few teaspoons with my Thiamine-pill.

I now got me Brewers yeast pills, says unfortified and natural B vitamins, it is not organic, but it does not have any vitamin or nutrient amount listed on the package, so I have no clue how much I will get from it... and if the process was natural or not.
    But they are way cheaper so I will try how I tolerate it :)

The Benfothiamine that I try out now has 300 mg in it/1 pill. I take one / day, and I am not going to take it every day. Just for the beginning I do that. After a weeks or so I will do once in a while. They are pretty expensive too, and I guess I might not need to take one every day as I do eat lots of raw eggyolks and the yeast too :)

Sue, please make an iron panel!
    Because too much iron can accumulate in the eye and cause damage! Also cataracts! (I think the large amount of iron reacts with blue light and also other nnEMF and just destroys the tissue slowly...) I have a book about iron and it says so.
    Seriously, if I were from north Europe(very often genetically prone to accumulate too much iron), I would test it. It will not hurt to know, and be able to rule out iron overload issue. And it is sooo easy to prevent it, just by donating blood one or twice a year! :)

Edit; I used B1 water-soluble Thiamine HCL (Solgar) 100mg, once a day, but now I try out the fat soluble to see if there is a difference.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  15. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I suppose I look at it differently if the synthetic vitamins are added to the growing medium (in my product that's molasses although I've read of an organic Nutritional Yeast "produced in Germany using a wholly organic nutrient solution made from organic grain, pure spring water and enzymes"). Because the yeast are acting on the growing medium, the final product is not likely to be the same as taking a finished product and then adding synthetic vitamins, which in the UK is the usual interpretation of "fortified." I suspect the Solgar is synthetic, and IIRC Benfothiamine is synthetic, so if I don't need such high amounts, the nutritional yeast I've got which is 30mg/100g, with no finished product fortification, is probably what I'll continue with until the cravings subside.

Thankyou, you've given me some really useful information. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  16. Inger

Inger Silver

cool Sue, glad if it helped :)

IDK why my liver does not like the non organic nutritional yeast, but have no issues with the Thiamine and Benfothiamine.. weird! But fact .
    My liver is pretty sensible right now because of the iron overload I guess, so it gets a little sore when I eat something it does not like....
    From the organic yeast I have had no issues so far.

17. Ibrahim

Ibrahim New Member

Not gonna lie I feel more happier when I eat mostly plants. I know achadonic acid has a role to play in depression, but it's interesting how my consciousness shifts depending on what I feed it.