1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Plant based diet

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Joce_, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Martha Ray

Martha Ray Martha Ray

Yes!
    The pros and cons were not on my radar years ago and I was juicing a lot of high oxalates and eating a lot of high histamine foods in allergy season... I think more local season eating will help even this out for me as I learn more.

2. Martha Ray

Martha Ray Martha Ray

Thanks Sue for all that information.... I will study the haptoglobin and peroxisomes know nothing about them... I do understand "plant based versus carnivore is a very deep rabbit hole …" due to my years of considering the the vegan vs paleo wars.
    In context about my prior post about my 2nd major weight loss. My doctor at the time suggested I read the book, Alkalize or Die: Superior Health Through Proper Alkaline-Acid Balance by Theodore A. Baroody and I did read it ...and of course not wanting to die I became a vegetarian.
    My shocking weight loss drop on a strictly vegetarian diet included drinking a lot of high silica water Fiji and other very high ph Waters... Silica has been on my radar since my father had succumb to early onset Alzheimer's before back in the 70's when it was not as well know. Aluminium was suspect from Daddy's water, Mountain Valley Spring Water - he drank a lot of it but he also had a life time addiction to Coca-Cola first in bottles that came from his home town when he was a young boy back in 1915 by the Root Glass Company of Terre Haute, Indiana and later in 12-ounce aluminum Coca-Cola cans. He also used OTC Alum as a home remedy for cold sores and cuts plus he had the usual exposure to aluminium in antiperspirants, aluminium foil and pots and pans. My Father passed away in 1983... Still interested in Alzheimer's. I liked the book, Prevent Alzheimer's, Autism and Stroke: With 7-Supplements, 7-Lifestyle Choices, and a Dissolved Mineral by Dennis N. Crouse Ph.D. since beside my daddy with Alzheimer's his mother, my Grandmother, passed with a stroke and my niece has one autistic son. I've also read, The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive by Dr. Dale Bredesen. Stellar, I think for overall as well as cognitive health.

But back ...more than the puzzle than my effortless weight loss is that the vegetarian, vegan diet and the high ph water drinking stint was the only time my sensitive CRP marker for inflammation tested normal <1. Had been high 10 years before and as high as (18) 10 years since. More than once I have wondered if the D'Adamo Doctors have been right about the blood type diet.

3. Martha Ray

Martha Ray Martha Ray

Do you know if the 23AndMe includes Hp genetics testing... the HP2 gene ?

4. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Whether the D'Adamo doctors are right about the Blood type diet, I wouldn't say, but I'd say they are onto something.:)

I've got the Blood type enyclopedia which is heavily referenced, unlike his popular diet books. It says (my highlighting)

"One study documented the appearance of ABO blood group antigens in different developing animal embryos. It showed that ABO begins to appear first in endoderm cells, followed by ectoderm cells, and finally by mesoderm cells. Since red blood cells were the last cells to acquire ABO antigens, the authors suggested that ABO antigens should be called tissue antigens rather than blood group antigens.

This critical embryonic function of ABO blood group is not typically known or understood by the medical community. However, this is probably the single most important reason that blood type antigens appear and disappear in tissues that are about to go aggressively malignant and metastasize, a role that is increasingly being linked to ABO blood group antigens."

I've also got a book called the Genotype Diet which D'Adamo wrote after his blood type diet books. It basically takes the blood type diet parameters, but adds in biometric measurements, (leg bone lengths, torso lengths, finger lengths, asymmetry in female breast size, jaw shape, etc) to give information on the womb experience. He then has 6 general profiles, (then its n=1). I don't need help in interpreting or making use of the biometric information, (which I'd need with 23 and me I think), but interestingly in relation to Hp status, lard is an avoid in all 6 profiles, so covers all blood types.

After watching some Chris Exley stuff on you tube, the Dennis N Crouse PHD book I've got is Silica Water the secret of healthy blue zone longevity in the aluminium age. I did the Chris Exley protocol for about 8 months, added my own variation using the circadian rhythm of CSF production, and have now switched to just getting the silica partly from water and partly from seasonal local plant food. Cognitively I've noticed a difference.:)

Martha Ray likes this.
  5. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I always try to keep an open mind, as I've had my belief system shattered many times. But I am highly skeptical of the blood type diet. I read D'Adamo's diet book. As an A+ blood type, there is no way I would ever feel good eating a vegan diet. Been there, done that. You couldn't force my corpse to eat soy.

My ancestors are not from the Fertile Crescent, as far as I know. We're cold Vikings and Brits.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

None of the BT or genotype plans are vegan. On D'Adamo's hypothesis, I could be one of 3 genotypes based on my blood type, and the one I most strongly match biometrically can be either an O or a B. So for me blood type is just one dot amongst many …

From what I've seen on the plant based videos, they've put sick people on the plant based diet, and they get results. What I disagree with is the idea that, having got results, there is a need to continue with it permanently. I think its less about the blood type diet dictating what to eat, but what BT indicators are useful …. If blood type A produces less stomach acid, then a regular heavy red meat diet may not be a good idea, and if sick, a temporary plant based diet might be a good strategy. Even as an O, if aging or worsening heteroplasmy reduces stomach acid production then, at 62, in terms of stomach acid, I may be more A like. I'm drawn more to eating white fish than steak, and if I eat steak (neutral for my genotype) its a very modest amount. My go to red meat is lamb, (a superfood) and if I crave liver (occasional) I'm intuitively drawn to lamb's liver (neutral).

The other interesting thing about the plant based diet is the exclusion of cheese and milk. My biometric measurements put me in the category of elevated estrogen sensitivity, so for people like me, removing even moderate amounts of cheese and milk may have a greater benefit, with no necessity to give up eating the meat of either the same species, or other mammals. :)

Cuffy likes this.
  7. shah78

shah78 Gold

i don't understand why we are dicussong this question.

Nadya likes this.
  8. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Cuffy, Sean Waters and JanSz like this.
  9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

There might be a food-as-a -signal dot here about how a plant based diet may have helped weight loss, via brown fact activation. The study is linked at the bottom of the article.

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2018/08/30/Food-can-activate-healthy-energy-burning-brown-fat

Another factor, particularly for a woman who has a history of chronic dieting, is that the volume of food, and the regularity of eating, may over time turn down the volume of any upregulated-by-chronic-dieting "thrifty" genes, which I think is what the BAB part of the leptin reset does, apart from any circadian rhythm benefits. :)

10. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

11. Joce_

Joce_ New Member

The last I checked this was a beginners area. If this is not the place to ask questions then where is? Such attitude breeds the kind of environment that will prevent people from posting.

Veg, Martha Ray and JanSz like this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Do not give up.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Consider working on your Pg/E2 ratio, aromatase and 5Ar.

upload_2020-1-11_9-56-39.png

Martha Ray likes this.
  14. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Thank you, the diagram is useful for my thought experiments. :)

I've shifted towards a more plant based diet as a hack, but its not vegetarian.... I'm testing the hypothesis about a carb rich meal and brown fat activation, although I suspect that there's also a relationship between the heat produced and human photosynthesis via melanin.

Breakfast is oatmeal, sometimes I'll add a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder or some frozen berries, very occasionally an egg yolk. But hopefully the risk of the meal being high carb is lessened because of the circadian rhythm of insulin sensitivity. I chose oatmeal as it helps me meet my silicon target for the day as part of my AD avoiding protocol. I think the "stretch" receptors in the stomach being stimulated cuts down my appetite later in the day. Overall, its probably cut down my food intake by a third. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

So long as the oatmeal is organic. Otherwise, at least in North America, it will likely be sky high in glyphosate. You could always have your urine level checked (HRI Labs).

Sue-UK likes this.
  16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Before harvesting any grain, the plant has to be dead and dried out.
    Way back then, plants followed seasons.
    Today's plants are altered and would stay green and alive into wintertime.
    To harvest, they are sprayed with Roundup (glyphosate).
    Afterward, grains are cleaned of glyphosate (yeah right).

If that is done to organic grains, it is a good question.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=glyphosate+"glycine"&t=ffcm&atb=v1-1&ia=web
    glyphosate "glycine"

glyphosate is an analog (mimic) of glycine

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    @Katie Durham

We are going to get glyphosate one way or another.
    Do you know of reasonable ways to minimize the impact?
    Any supplements?
    Would supplement with glycine help?

https://tinyurl.com/r5vz3ce

17. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Eating organically greatly reduces the amount of glyphosate exposure, especially with oats, wheat and legumes (beans, lentils, peas, chickpeas, etc.). The way to confirm whether your diet/lifestyle is achieving that is to have your urine tested (I did that with one of my cats through HRI Labs). There is likely to still be a trace, but so much less, at least based on what you have consumed. Meanwhile, don't handle glyphosate without gloves or walk barefoot on ground that has been treated (because it can be absorbed through the skin), and don't breathe the air if you're in an agricultural region where it is heavily applied.

All of this applies to our pets too. Never walk them where glyphosate may have been applied (that includes GMO corn-based cat litters). Don't feed them any foods with any oats, wheat or legumes unless those ingredients are organic, and they don't belong in a cat's diet anyway (obligate carnivores).

Glyphosate is never knowingly applied to organic grains; they aren't organic if that happened.

JanSz and ElectricUniverse like this.
  18. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

True about pure organic foods (is there really such a unicorn?) but it is a bit worrisome that glyphosate in soil, air, and water (rain) can contaminate the purest of the pure.

Thanks for the shout out for our pets too. A friend of mine has a 7 year old dog that has developed a skull tumor. Imagine that.

JanSz likes this.
  19. Inger

Inger Silver

Oh man Sue, I cant believe you are doing a hack on grains! :D

How have you been eating before this experiment started?

When you are eating oats, you might want to prepair them as our ancestors did. They soaked and fermented the heck out of the grains... ;)
    Have you tried to soak and ferment the oats you are eating? In what form are you eating them?

Have you been doing some bloodwork to follow up what changes it might do to your body? I am curious if you have done your ferritine and iron levels recently...

20. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

No blood tests since I was last pregnant, and my youngest is now 22. :)

Yes I've done the soaking thing with the oats before making into porridge.

I gave up lard a year ago and since then have eaten very little pork, and cognitively I feel better for it. Whether that's because of crap in commercial pig feed or something else, I don't know. But that hack was taking something out that for most people here would be OK, so this was just a reverse, putting something in that for many people wouldn't be a good idea. My reason for going the porridge for breakfast route is that I'm wanting to keep my silicon levels up, as part of my avoiding AD strategy, and eating animal products at every meal wasn't really working. Also what would be a "normal" amount of water in summer is too much in winter, and I was having trouble getting the highest levels of silica rich water, so that I could drop the amount down. The timing of eating the oats is important to me, its a breakfast only thing, and so far the benefits seem to outweigh any risks - I'm naturally eating less later in the day, losing some belly fat, and generally feel better, despite not getting away over the winter. :)