1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

PlaeoDentist's Journey

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by PaleoDentist, Mar 25, 2012.

1. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

INTRO:

42 y/o male, 5'9 medium build.

I have been on lowish carb Paleo Robb Wolf/ Sission for 14 months 225lb->184lb . I may have 5 lbs of body fat to lose if that much. (my wife thinks I look good already and thinks any more fat loss will make me look bad, but I want better body composition. ). ALthough according tho the charts I need to be 164, which will make me look like an anorexic. I do 30 min Heavy weights once per week using Body by Science protocols, but add in a few more exercises. I have done them fasted, but now will follow Dr K's protocol. The only thing I have is major sleep issues. I wake up 3-4am and can't go back to sleep. and feel very rested on 5-6 hrs sleep. But I know I need to sleep more. I bet my cortisone is messed up. may have it tested. I ate only dinner following my hunger cues.

I began Leptin Reset 6 days ago and lost 2 lbs. I eat a BAB although not hungry. I began CT yesterday using cold tap water (not measured temp but it was chilly) did 6 - 20 sec face dunks. and spot iced one problem fat area for 30 min. skin was white not pink. I plan on following your protocol to help me shed the remaining fat, especially spot cold the one problem area and to improve my sleep- which is the main driving factor.

Attached files [​IMG]

2. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Following my BAB ( eggs, bacon, smoked salmon wrapped in nori.) I took one spoon full of Raw organic Coconut oil (Trader Joe's) 16 oz ice cold water and did face dunks.

Sink with ice got it down to 45F tested with a digital meat thermometer. The eater was very uncomfortable as compared to yesterday. I managed 6 20 sec sessions with a 10-15 sec rest in between. my face burned and it did not feel good. no shivering. face was red. spot icing 30 min on lower abdomen with icepack.

3. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

well, as per Dr K's observation that I am not Leptin resistant, I switched to the maintenance protocol. I am continuing to iet a protein rich breakfast, just not going for the 50 gm protein. I'm at about 35 gm. I skip lunch and eat a good dinner. tonight was a big ass salad with 1 lb GF ground beef with mexican spices. folioed by face dunking in ice water that was 50F. what I noticed today is that I became used to the cold a little bit better.

4. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

continued with face dunking today. used lots of ice. temp down to 43F water. did 5 dunks working my way form 45 sec to 70 sec. I noticed that after about 20 sec my face began to feel warm. if I moved my head I felt a lot colder.. I wonder if its just the water around my skin warming up. didn't feel bad a t all. maybe this is what it feels like during baths.

5. PaleoSue

PaleoSue New Member

Just saying "hi" and to say best of luck with continuing the CT. Your progress is very inspirational!

6. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Today I tried a bath. I sat in my bathtub and started the cold water. It was 55F but then warmed up to 63F. it was up to my waist. I kept legs fully immersed. sat there for 25 min. not too bad. no shivering. I was fitting with the drain , which is leaking, so the water level started to go down after I turned the faucet off. I think I will add ice next time to get to 55-60F.

7. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I only missed 1 day of bath since starting 4/1. the water is 58F and I stay in 30 min immersed up top mid stomach which is basically a full bath tub. I only missed one day, but did use an ice pack on lower abdomen for 40 min on that day. so far no major improvements. but I also realize it has only been 6 days! I have a long journey ahead of me. I plan to do 30 min sessions for 2-3 weeks then up it to 45 min and then 1 hour daily at each month increment. I think 1 hour bath is going to be my limit due to the constraints. I spend my time listening to Robb Wolfs earlier podcasts. There are plenty on the Jimmy Moore site to keep me entertained for a while!

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I just posted a pic on FB......CTing at sunrise. I need optimal.

9. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Man you folks just diving into the ice tub are braver than I am.

and I do NOT think that 164 will make you look anorexic. If you're packing extra muscle you might wind up at 170-175 and still look trim and great. The problem, I believe, is that we have all gotten so used to everyone around us being at a minimum 20-30 pounds overweight with a majority being obese, that we have lost sight of what a healthy, fit human being looks like.

Go look through photo archives from the 1800's and the early to mid 1900's. You'll see what I mean. I'll bet you'll think most of those people look like they're one meal away from starvation. But EVERYone looked like that.

My unasked for advice is to quit worrying about the scale and about body fat percentages and concentrate on how you feel. It's what I am trying whole-heartedly to do, myself. Not easy but much saner than the other way.

10. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Thanks for visiting!!!!!

11. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I'm off to Jamaica, only had time for a cold shower today. will CT there as much as possible.

12. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

OK first day in Jamaica. Its HOT! after breakfast I attempted a cold bath. now I understand the frustration of all the southerners with the cold tap water, which is actually warm! I do not have a thermometer, but its warm. I needed 3 waste baskets full of ice to get it down to a chilly level. not sure the exact temp, but it did make my skin cold, but all the ice melted. I guesstimate it was in to low 60'sF.

did a 30 min soak. the cold shower water is barely cold. I just turned down the room thermostat to 65F from the set 72F. Hopefully the wifey won't object (much). now off to the gym...

13. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

Well, i made a discovery at the hotel today. they have a58F cold plunge pool. so after today's full body workout I took advantage of it! considering that my cold bath attempt was pretty lame, the cold plunge pool more than made up for it. I soaked up to my neck for about 15 min. it was pretty cold! I will try to do 30 min after breakfast tomorrow.

14. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

YAY! That's great. although I'm so jealous you're in Jamaica and we're in cold old Wyoming. sigh. But our tap water is better ... about 43 straight outta the pipe.

15. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I've been going to the cold plunge bath every day so far, sometimes twice (although for a brief splash the second time as I do not want to over do it)

Today was a relatively comfortable 30 min soak. I'm going to miss it for sure. leaving tomorrow.

will continue the bathtub at home.

I am seriously considering going in the ocean soon. It occurred to me when Jack mentioned that he wished he lived next to an ocean for free CT. I live 5 min form the Pacific ocean! which I have taken advantage of for year round kayaking, but now may just jump in!

16. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I've been eating lots of lox for breakfast every morning. I think I will add more seafood to may weekly meals.

Will start curing my own lox form wild salmon when I get home.

17. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

first day back. I did not have time for breakfast, as I overslept and rushed to work. got back and filled up my late tub. it was at 59F I added a bowl of ice and got it down to 58F. sat in it for 35 min submerged to chest. as the ice cube sulfated around me and melted I began to shiver in last 5 min. drank my ice water and now shivering in my robe. I never shivered before. this is my first CT without a high fat meal. i wonder if there is a relationship?

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Paleodentist, yes you need to eat high fat to power all that thermogenesis.

But also, each CT session is different.

19. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

I was hoping my fat reserves would do that! still shivering. so weird.

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Well, my reserves are diminishing, even with all the protein and fat for breakfast. Love it!!