1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Picky toddler

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by BeingVenus, Apr 27, 2012.

1. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

So, I started my Son on paleo foods at 6 months. His first foods were egg yolks, lamb, and asparagus in ghee. Lately (at 17 months) he's been nursing like crazy and eating very little unless I break down and give him one of those Applegate organic grassfed hotdogs. It's the only thing besides fruit and butter he'll eat. He used to (as in just 2 weeks ago) eat 3 yolks for breakfast, whatever non-ground meat I put in front of him, pâté, etc. What do you guys think? Too processed ? Should I just wait it out? I hate to admit this but I really want to get some protein in him because otherwise he nurses ALL day and night long like a newborn and it drives me up the wall.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Teething or Growth spurt possible? is he attempting any new regarding developmental milestones? I found DS increased the nursing/night wakings etc - when he was either teething, having growth spurt, or working on a developmental milestone...

Teething was always a BIG one for us -b/c he's notorious for bringing in 4 teeth at a time, and spiking a high fever, and is pretty much inconsolable

one thing you can try is salami and cream cheese rollups/bites. that's always a winner in my house. also why not just let him eat what you eat - give him appropriate sized bites, on a plastic plate, w/a toddler fork spoon - and let him go to town. part of this might be him asserting his independence wanting to do things for himself refuses to let us feed him now at 2. so give that a go as well...

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

dont feed him for awhile and watch how he eats whatever you give him when hunger outweighs his desires......that is how we retrained our kids.

4. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

He generally does eat what we eat. I tend to eat a lot of ground grassfed beef and he won't touch it... Only likes steaks or roasts. Hahaha a man of taste!!! I honestly never gave him anything but strict paleo foods until this past 2 weeks with the Gf hot dogs. Like I said... Butter and fruit. That's all he wants. Do you think that's OK since he's nursing on demand too? Should I just skip the hot dogs? Maybe he's just transitioning to a spring/seasonal diet. I hadn't really thought of that.

5. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

And yes Shijin, his bottom canines just came in recently and he's fitting in 2T pants lengthwise lately. Doesn't that mean he should be eating more though??? Nursing a 32 pound toddler is not for the faint of heart. Seriously... I should be losing a dress size a week the way this kid eats.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

He's only 17mths... ds still clipped off 6-8 nursing sessions/day plus constant night nursing at this age; sounds normal to me... remember eating at this point is just learning about the social factors of eating it was at 20mths that DS night weaned (As a result of a business trip) I would expect that he's still getting the majority of his nutrition from BM and that any food is just fun!

Biggest question - how are his poops (Yeah I know tmi!) but seriously - if the foods hes eating aren't really chewed up - he's just mimicking and not really grabbing the nutrition. if its digested - it could be that he's just not interested in solids and wants milk

one other thing - have you reduced a nursing session - that could be another reason why he's nursing more. also once they start to walk and begin to explore their world - they can freak out and need xtra touch time to reassure themselves...

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

+1 to what Shijin has said. This is, in part, a parenting philosophy question not just a nutrition one. There are many non-nutritional reasons for a child to increase nursing sessions (some physiological, like teething and some emotional/psychological like she's also pointed out).

It sounds like what you're really worried about is if the hotdogs are an OK choice. I have no idea about them as I don't live in the US, but if they are a clean source of meat without a bunch of garbage in them, it sounds fine. It's not like he's refusing all food except Frosted Flakes. If you're not happy with them, are there perhaps organic grass fed sausages of some kind that would be better (but look and taste similar)?

Also, you don't say how long this 'lately' with nursing a lot has gone on. If it's short term I wouldn't worry too much. But if it's lasting for weeks and it's also effecting your own energy and ability to cope as a parent, maybe it's more imperative that he have some other solid food he will eat.

Good luck. These little decisions can feel so huge... and there is so much pressure on us mammas to nurture our children right!

8. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

He's eating food again as of yesterday. Thank god!! Only nursed once last night. It must've just been growth and teeth like you ladies said. So hard to figure out how to deal. Just when I think I have him figured out and a perfect routine we get all turned around again. :)

9. Sem

Sem New Member

Venus! I SO understand how you feel! They love to keep us on our toes. Hope you're able to get some sleep.