1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Phosphene — She Wants To Do Right

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Phosphene, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

People in general are too gullible for their own good.

As propaganda minister Herr Goebbels famously stated:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Above never seemed more true than in 2019.

2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Partly cloudy, though weather says it should be clear for several hours. Hmm.

65E10756-EF9D-47A7-A9A5-4FC7DAE3BDDB.jpeg

Nasty storm on the way so we may be staying here for the weekend. Headed to work in a bit to see progress on the space and help prepare for inspections next week.

I’ve certainly been gullible in some areas of my life, but also have pushed back against ‘Authority’ and ‘Society’ (questioned organized religion from a very young age). I’m more awake now, but still desperately want to trust that not everyone in power is evil, and that the checks and balances will keep prevailing and the world will keep turning until Nature decides it’s time for inevitable change. Endless studying to do—good thing I like that.

John Schumacher likes this.
  3. ElectricUniverse

It is hard indeed to find decency in our modern society with so much wickedness and moral degeneracy (and media/Internet news feeds can keep us constantly awash in all that negativity-- much of it designed to either brainwash us or make us more docile and easily controlled).

These trying times remind me of an ancient Greek fellow who, when asked why he was carrying a lantern in broad daylight, replied that he was looking for an honest man.

We can always turn to and value good-hearted family members and friends (if we are fortunate to have and keep them), but the only true peace and happiness for me these days is turn away from a world turned upside down and focus inwards towards my cherished ideals and spiritual beliefs. Truth always prevails in the end, even if it is elusive at moment.

4. I've never been surprised "by the turn of events". Just a brief history of our last few thousand years, has shown to me that humans have trouble with collaboration. Even when it may seem clear that our total responsibility for improving our destiny is attainable, humans can isolate themselves, make isolated groups, make them versus us distinctions. These tendencies may not help promote non-judgemental practices. Is it really us verses them? Or do we practice, pray, and hopefully, influence what is good for us (humans)? I don't have solutions - just a practice.

John

Phosphene likes this.
  5. ElectricUniverse

I believe humans are instinctively tribal creatures, despite current batsh*t crazy leftist ideas about eliminating borders and preaching the religion of globalism and one world government (kumbaya).

Nature prevails, despite human deviant behavior.

Cuffy, Michalis and Anne V like this.
  6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Let it snow. Should be ending soon.

077D1D35-9A0E-49C0-9411-35D787A20A38.jpeg

58C85D7A-3238-4607-BF13-A834EDB4B65F.jpeg

92FF211C-0A12-4FBF-8BC0-C9463D5C7220.jpeg

7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

My mother and I had a civil (but brief) convo about this while away. We went to a Greek Orthidox church service in Florida, which was surprisingly my idea (lured by the Greek festival afterwards...). Turns out the event posting I saw was incorrect and the festival was the previous week so I endured the two hour long service without any tasty rewards besides supposedly saving my immortal soul from eternal damnation.

73F0B5BE-AD50-41D5-A61D-E1FCFE056A2F.jpeg

It was so similar to the Ukrainian Orthodox service of my upbringing—long, repetitive, tedious. Did I mention long? I’ve sat through so many of these services I must’ve earned vast blessings through osmosis alone. I pretended the inferno of artificial light was the sun, closed my eyes through much of it and tried to meditate, but there is all that sit, stand, kneel, bless, repeat routine—maybe to prevent folks drifting off to sleep? At least the art and music were pleasant. Plenty of gold leaf and gorgeous stained glass. And instead of an elaborate choir there were three lone cantors at a podium near the front. The hymns had a mostly harmonized, warbling middle-eastern tone that I found quite soothing. Overall an okay use of 2+ hours, though I’ve had my fill now till my next service at Orthidox Christmas on January 7th, before we leave for Mexico. Can’t wait to get more of MY preferred church—Nature.

Anyway, I dared to ask why there are so many (sparsely attended) Orthodox churches in such close proximity in the northeastern PA area where my parents were raised, and still live. Why not consolidate resources and just have a few vibrant, well-attended, thriving churches with more options for community fellowship and more money left over for charity and social justice efforts? Makes sense to me (to the extent that any church makes sense to me).

Well.

My mother kept her answer brief since we both know that sparks can quickly ignite and neither of us wanted to spoil the trip. She said that even though the services SEEM indistinguishable, each immigrant clan that settled in the area had its own little quirks that they wanted to preserve, and that attending a church other than the one founded by your family just rubbed the wrong way.

I just don’t know—as usual I can see both sides—tribalism vs globalism. My dissatisfaction with specialized Us-Versus-Them religion led me to the opposite extreme of Unitarian Universalism while raising the kids, and then the similarly ecumenical All-Are-One philosophy of Integral Yoga. A bit of Buddhism in there too, but that didn’t take firm hold either.

Smarter folks than me still can’t figure all this out so I’ll just leave it up to someone else and head back outside.

8. drezy

drezy New Member

LOL! Yep. A friend's grandma laid it all out foreman 1994.

It goes like this. I'm Polish through my paternal line. Irish, Italians, WASPS, Russians, Greeks, Germans, and many others are ENTIRELY different races. Who knew?!?

I usually steer clear of all this, but seriously from a business sense organized religion is the best business going from a tax perspective. If you look closely at what the federal, state, and property taxes being waived I think it would be smart to just keep the institution rolling along and rely on old parishioners wills to fill in expenses as they pass on.

Phosphene and ElectricUniverse like this.
  9. ElectricUniverse

Ditto. Religion is one of the best businesses out there, even today. Other non-profits of all stripes are there for every persuasion and predilection, from Masonic lodges to mutual aid societies.

L Ron Hubbard was a dabbling occultist and science fiction writer who knew the score. He is quoted somewhere as saying that the one of the easiest ways to get rich was to start a religion.

Thus, Scientology was born.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  10. Anne V

Anne V Silver

Phosphene and John Schumacher like this.
  11. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Ah, the life-sustaining inferno I hold near and dear.

A2B453A2-C32C-48E4-B212-14A57741F9DF.jpeg

The restaurant is ramping up so I may be on here less often for the next month, though sunrises will remain a priority. Passed the occupational safety inspection yesterday, and the health inspector comes today so fingers crossed. We have a skeleton crew verbally committed and this is enough to open with limited hours. Menu will unfortunately be heavily pasta-based, but some seafood is planned, and he is open to oysters. :)

Restaurant friends! I will be reaching out soon with management questions. Boss recognizes the need for a general manager since he is spread thin overseeing all three locations, and head chef at the new one. I honestly don’t know if I am cut out for such a position, and pretty sure I don’t even want it. Too much pressure and stress, plus much more limited time off for such a key role. I will help as needed until we find the right person, but really just want to reliably prep, clean up, do SOME admin, and be able to take my (scheduled FAR in advance) trips. I still believe it will all fall in place, and the inevitable chaos will be limited and tolerable. Sticking to my story!

Current task:

Help organize a meeting with prospective crew Friday or Monday to meet and greet and discuss roles and training.

He still hasn’t finalized the employee handbook. How important do you think it is to have the formal written policies (which he’s never had before) in place before opening? Should I push him on that? 6-10 employees at the new place, plus 5-7 at the others.

12. drezy

drezy New Member

You could grab one of many of the free basic templates out there and revise over time. It might cover you in case any fairness issues or questions arise.

13. ElectricUniverse

I hope your boss doesn't plan to install wi-fry in his restaurants as a 'convenience' to customers and working staff.

14. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Already done that—he’s just been too busy to review it. I advised that his lawyer should review it as well so that may be why he’s putting it off.

[Edit] We aren’t at all committed to the current template (from RestaurantOwner.com) so I may search for another. This one has too many goofy graphics nearly doubling the page count.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    drezy likes this.
  15. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Unfortunately yes—de rigueur in a college town, or almost anywhere now. I’ll set it as weakly as possible and will be monitoring myself closely.

16. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

So I cant just get to work like a normal person. My copy of Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet called out to me and I asked what I needed to hear today. Opened near the end to the chapter On Death. Hmmm... What do I need to learn?

8DE2E61B-88D4-445A-B331-81212E74270E.jpeg
    8F15D383-927B-4293-A380-C68CCDD31293.jpeg

I did almost buy a seashell-encrusted owl at a thrift store yesterday for .99 but ended up putting it back. Good grief I don’t need any more tchotchkes! The owl used to be a constanty appearing totem, asking “Whooooo are you??”

Maybe I know now.

17. Inger

Inger Silver

Great words of Khalil Gibran, Phosphene :) :)

18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I found myself chanting this today too. Another of my dear yoga friends is moving to Maine. Safe passage, to all! :love:

Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
    Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
    Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
    Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

We worship the All-seeing One
    Fragrant, he nourishes bounteously.
    From the fear of death may he cut us free
    To realize immortality.

Om Peace, Peace, Peace

19. drezy

drezy New Member

Thems some fancy words.

Michalis likes this.
  20. I liked “And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then you shall truly dance.”