1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Phosphene — She Wants To Do Right

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Phosphene, Jun 21, 2018.

1. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

Interesting. I'll have to ask my neighbors if they feel the needle fall is increasing here. I was shocked at how much they drop when we moved to NC but I have nothing to compare to other than my parents' OLD arborvitae which dropped a ton too. We have tons of birds too thankfully and not so thankfully (when the hawks eat my chickens.)

2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

So it occurred to me that my trees might simply be starving. The soil here is hardpacked clay and I’ve never fertilized the trees beyond letting the leaf/needle litter stay in place. Unlike the acres of hardwood forest that was here “naturally” before, all the evergreens were transplanted as ornamentals. I’ll bet they just need some nutrients, and I hope it’s not too late. Must research what to use—maybe compost tea and fish emulsion.

3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Brrrrr...I’ve got the girls out in UV6 full sun, but it’s only 42F here with 10 mph north wind making it feel 36. Actually my chair is blocking some of it so my torso is rather toasty and just the extremities are chilly. It’s not at all comfortable but I’m still out here. Clouding up again the next few days. Grrrr.

I’ve got yet another idea :rolleyes: for my main solar spot. My raised beds disintegrated several years ago (along with the rest of my life) and instead of going through all that hassle to build them again I might try this. If I create a U-shape bed with the opening facing southwest I can, I think, get private sun a good chunk of the day.

The TEDx is pretty cool and worthwhile.

https://strawbalegardens.com/

4. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

That sounds like a great idea! Much cheaper than building up beds again or putting up privacy fence!

KrusinWitchie and Phosphene like this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

Whoa,just in case correlation and causation *do* go hand in hand here, I'm going to do some raised bed maintenance soon.

Keeping mind that your cool surface absorbed the light more efficiently (even if you shivered).

Assuming that your foxhole will have walls, which southerly direction (in degrees) will it be pointing? If you are in a hole with walls then the direction may be "optimized"(aka no shadows) for a certain time.

6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

LOL! No you don’t want disintegrating beds! So many levels of meaning.

And yes my cool surfaces are indeed shivering. Do goose bumps increase the surface area of exposed skin? Am I grasping something to do with topology, or way off?

I listened to a bit of Scholastic Bowl on WVIA the other day (remember that??) and was thoroughly annoyed that I didn’t get several physics answers that were right there....almost.

I’m back outside in 42F sun working on my redox again—pumping back up to tackle the introspective issues that I tend to avoid. I’m so NOT the stereotypical female who wants to TALK about everything. Just the opposite. It’s an area in which I need balance, certainly.

I’m in my sun spot and yes I will keep in mind the sun’s angle, and the shadows cast for my new foxhole garden. I dig that term and will likely keep it. Hay bales are at a premium this year apparently due to the wet winter so I need to scout around for some. Even a little spoiled will work since that’s really the point.

Not staying out here too long today uncovered—actually got some redness on the tender bits yesterday and I’m think the sudden burst of UVB is not so great without proper prep of earlier infrared and UVA. it was freakin 20F at sunrise so only a little of that, and not much on the bits yet.

There’s a tense prickliness here in the forum after the brief yet charged Q&A. This too shall pass.

7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Yow—just noticed there’s an early April webinar! My Spidy senses have been tingling for awhile—must go see what’s up.

recoen, Lahelada and Christine_L like this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Unless from overly-vigorous use...

I think thats a good observation

Well I can't speak for yours but honestly my own navel is more interesting than some people I've tried to interact with before...

I bet there were many WWI young men that would much rather have had to deal with nude women from their foxhole than mustard gas and artillery. I'm pretty sure they would support your use of foxholes.

9. I didnt realize you were in PA! I am in NJ, also do analytics work. How cool.

I dont know if you are in the Gold Klub FB group, but I will send you a PM of my idea about a retreat center + April webinar reference.

Phosphene likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

I thought about this. With @MITpowered26 and @Anne V 's posts it's feeling a lot more like a big old dose of emotional laxative went out and is doing it's work all around.

I think I might even stand a chance of shedding my timid repression now too.

caroline, Phosphene, Anne V and 2 others like this.
  11. LOL yeah right

Phosphene likes this.
  12. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Got some tense shit going on here—husband and I are as distant as ever and the empty nest thing is just highlighting it. He’s a good (great) man...the relationship is probably worth fighting for but damn it’s hard when they don’t believe any of it.

One son will be home visiting this weekend and it won’t be long till he’s back for the summer. He’s the most open minded of the bunch so maybe it’s not too late to get some of this through to him.

Doc’s confession really got to me. Choosing to double down on family at the expense (or at least deferment) of dreams.

Big thoughts...

13. drezy

drezy Gold

Never fun. Good luck.

No notable benefits noticed on your husband's side from catching sun with you? (I think you used to do am tea/coffee together...)

Christine_L likes this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

Don't try to keep me repressed @Christine_L

Sean Waters and Christine_L like this.
  15. Repression... dont you mean.... AND THIS BIRD YOU CANNOT CHANGEEEEE

Sean Waters likes this.
  16. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

Are you giving up your dreams or your health? I think it begs differentiating. We are struggling here so my heart goes out to you.

17. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’m still deftly sidestepping these probing questions...

Sean Waters and LieselK like this.
  18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Got some crocus blooming, finally! Several weeks late, along with the hellebores.

404A36D9-60C5-4DE5-AF5E-405274057040.jpeg

One of the major downsides of 4 acres of woods is...the leaves! Garden plans are on hold till some of the major cleanup gets done. And the damn taxes.

I am, however, enjoying a glass of Malbec in the sun today while contemplating my vast seed choices. As always, my eyes are bigger than my garden! :D

This is the first cut, plus nasturtiums—lots of nasturtiums (low-maintenance edible, peppery gorgeous flowers).

FC0C3373-E60B-476D-A6E3-E82A57A16E23.jpeg

19. drezy

drezy Gold

Nice basil selection. I'm growing sweet, Thai, and cinnamon basil this year. I'm also always glad to have my indestructible sage bushes and my tiny but productive oregano plants. There's something extra nice about not paying for spices. It probably has soothing to do with the fact that fresh basil costs at least $2 for even a small pack and it's nowhere near as fresh as when you picked it 2 minutes ago.

I'm sure it needn't be said but barefoot gardening and no gloves please.

Phosphene likes this.
  20. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

With square foot gardening you can do A LOT! I always started seeds under clear bins in Ohio to get a head start. You can have nice little greenhouses!

Phosphene likes this.